Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 03:57:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Rhubarb mutter whine snivel gripe bellyache

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhubarb mutter whine snivel gripe bellyache  (Read 1406 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:37:18 am »

Back in the mid-1980s I had some friends from Gisborne who went down to Southland for three years shearing. They had a rented house just out of Wairio and I headed down there a couple of times to catch up with them. The house had a coal range and a coal-fired hot-water boiler (with the range also heating the hot water). The coal mine just down the road at Nightcaps used to sell slack coal (seconds) for $5 per trailer-load, with the trailer heaped right up until it was virtually overflowing. As a result, their household energy costs were bugger-all, although it did mean stoking up the stove (and at times the hot-water boiler) all the time. But the entire house was certainly toasty-warm with no shortage of hot water both times I visited for a few days, with each visit being during winter. Being shearers, they knew how to party real hard too!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: