Xtra News Community 2
April 17, 2024, 06:05:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Willie Security Guard

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Willie Security Guard  (Read 76 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:23 pm »

Three "hardcore" Waikato Draught fans stood in rain, fog and cold to guard billboards advertising their favourite beer at the weekend.

Six Waikato Draught skins the poster sheets that cover the billboards have been stolen so far this year, prompting a campaign by Waikato Draught to protect them.

Just last week the Huntly skin, on State Highway 1, was stolen after only recently being given heavy-duty security in the form of an oversized bike lock.

Three security guards monitored the billboards from Friday night through to midnight last night.

Paul Reid, Chris Savage and Julia Kingsley beat out the competition to win the position of weekend security guards during a competition at The Outback bar recently.

The lure of a year's supply of beer played no small part in attracting contestants.

The Waikato Times caught up with Mr Reid while he was on duty at Ngaruawahia on Saturday.

"I'm here because I support Waikato rugby and go to a lot of the games," he said.

"I like to have a few (Waikato Draught) beers with my mates at the game so I thought I'd enter the competition and I got in."

It wasn't easy getting the job as a "Willie security guard" but Mr Reid was taking the job very seriously, getting a W shaved into the back of his head.

Mr Reid, who gave his occupation as engineer, said being a security guard was "too easy".

"It's actually boring sitting here doing nothing."

He said there was a bit of "riff-raff" around when he was guarding the billboard in Chartwell on Friday night, but most people had been really supportive, beeping their car horns as they drove past.

Sarah Raine, from Publicis Elevate the company which organised the competition said replacing the stolen skins was not cheap. Each skin cost $800.

On top of that were the installation costs which differed depending on the billboard owner. The Huntly skin was more prone to theft but other skins had also been stolen.

Mr Reid thought the thieves were also Waikato Draught fans. "The skins are so cool, so they think `why not take it'."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/2549011/Weekend-billboard-guards-work-up-a-thirst/

Ive seen the ads around in the bars but thought they were an advertising campaign  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: