Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:36:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

PUDDINGS

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PUDDINGS  (Read 714 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:55 am »

Bread and butter pudding

By PATRICIA SOPER - The Southland Times | Monday, 15 June 2009

LUXURIOUSLY LUSCIOUS: Bread and butter pudding has made a serious comeback in the past few years. Almost every TV chef seems to have his or her own version of what was once a standard way for households to use up stale bread. — PATRICIA SOPER/The Southland Times.

LUXURIOUSLY LUSCIOUS: Bread and butter pudding
has made a serious comeback in the past few years.
Almost every TV chef seems to have his or her own
version of what was once a standard way for
households to use up stale bread.
— PATRICIA SOPER/The Southland Times.

Does mass-produced bread go stale these days?

I find it is more likely to go mouldy, especially in warm weather.

On the other hand, homemade bread or bread made without preservatives does actually age and dry out. I like to use bread that is slightly stale for bread and butter pudding because it drinks up the custard better and the top goes crunchier.

At the moment every magazine I pick up seems to have a different take on this deliciously simple pudding. I have seen a chocolate version, which I must say looks divine, and one that uses marmalade instead of citrus peel or sultanas.

I was talking to someone recently who said their mother used to spread the cooked custard with jam and meringue then brown it for a few minutes just before serving.

Most recipes advocate cutting the bread and butter into triangles but when I'm in a hurry I simply cut it into large cubes, pile into an ovenproof dish and pour the custard over. Some bake the pudding as is, others in a bain-marie.

I favour the latter; I think the custard is smoother and the flavour better. If you want a truly authentic vanilla-tasting custard use the seeds scraped from a vanilla pod.

I use Heilala vanilla pods and vanilla paste and essence.

Ingredients:

• 6 to 7 slices thick white bread
  • Butter for spreading and greasing dish
  • 200ml cream
  • 400ml milk
  • ¼ cup currants
  • 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
  • Seeds from one vanilla pod
  • cup sugar or to taste
  • 3 eggs

Method:

• Set oven at 160°C.
  • Remove crusts then butter bread lightly.
  • Cut slices into triangles then arrange evenly in an ovenproof dish.
  • Scatter currants and lemon zest over the bread.
  • Whisk eggs and sugar together then stir in (don't beat) the milk and cream.
  • Scrape the seeds from a vanilla pod and add to milk-cream-egg combo.
  • Pour liquid mixture over the bread and leave for a half an hour to ensure the custard soaks into the bread evenly.
  • Place pudding dish in a roasting tin. Add boiling water until it comes halfway up the sides of the pudding dish.
  • Bake centre oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until custard is set but still has a slight wobble in the centre and the top is brown.
  • Serve warm with whipped cream.

Serves six generously.

Cook's tip: I like to grate a little nutmeg over the pudding and the cream when serving.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/features/food-wine/2488332/Bread-and-butter-pudding
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:22:50 am »

'Tis the season to cook with apples

By LAURA FAIRE - Fairfax NZ | 5:00AM - Sunday, 06 May 2012

APPLE BREAD & BUTTER PUD: A perfect winter pudding, especially when topped with a scoop of icecream. — MICHAEL BRADLEY/Fairfax NZ.
APPLE BREAD & BUTTER PUD: A perfect winter pudding, especially when topped with a scoop of icecream.
 — MICHAEL BRADLEY/Fairfax NZ.

ANYONE who knows me will know I am a touch odd about fruit. Until my late 20s I couldn't really eat it and even now I am particularly picky with all types of fruit. I will generally only eat it if I have cut it up myself and it helps if I choose it from the store or collected it from the garden.

I realise this is neurotic. The only explanation I can think of is that I grew up near the orchard town of Kerikeri and we often had large quantities of fruit that were deemed unsuitable. Top this with the fact we shopped only once a month, the fruit on the farm (unless from our own limited orchard) was often blemished and past its best.

Being a good little chef I have always cooked with fruit and always tasted it when required but only out of duty, never for pleasure. Things improved when I began eating only seasonal food. Now I can be found hovering with visible neurosis over fruit stands in organic stores or markets — sniffing, turning, testing and fretting.

The first fruit that won me over was the apple. Although these pose multiple risks (hidden blemishes, floury textures, too sweet or too tart, little bugs) a good apple is hard to beat. Apples divide into two simple categories, eating and cooking, although both are suitable for either. The cooking apple has a higher malic acid content and will fluff up or puree when cooked. It can be remarkably hard to find a cooking apple these days. My local organic shop is pretty good, some farmers markets may be useful, a shout-out through social media once yielded me enough crab apples for a jelly. Mostly though it is best to order from growers. My mum orders hers from a heritage farm called Mantell's Orchard in Hastings. The boxes are delivered to me and I take a cut before sending them on.

This year we had Ballarats and the special tart tartin apple Caville Blanc d'hiver. I am yet to see a Bramley but will be pureeing and freezing them for later use in pies, cakes and baby food when I do. I used the Ballarats for my "funny apple cake" on TVNZ's Good Morning last month and have been receiving compliments ever since. If you get stuck, the Braeburn and Granny Smith are good all-rounders.

My favourite eating apple is the Pacific Rose and for the past three years, my husband has brought home the first of the season for me like a prize.

On our recent health kick, we juiced Cox Orange apples. I used them in this sneaky, naughty, white flour, cream and sugar extravaganza.

Although the apples don't make it any healthier they do add a beautiful contrast in both texture and flavour. Inspired by an apple Charlotte recipe in my old cooking school textbook, my lazy gene kicked in, the idea of lining a mould with the bread all seemed a little difficult. Therefore this cheat's version has arisen.

Pudding should be quick and sugary, served hot on a cold night with a generous scoop of icecream. This pud works with either a cooking or an eating apple.

Laura will be signing copies of her book Now is the Season at The Green Living Show at Auckland's Alexandra Park on Saturday, May 12, from 2pm in the Tasman Room. It's full of good ideas for seasonal pickings and is a great gift for Mother's Day.

APPLE BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

Ingredients:

• 1 loaf white bread, crusts removed and sliced
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 2 medium cooking apples, peeled
  • ¼ cup raisins (I used muscatels)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • ½ cup caster sugar
  • 1 cup cream

Method:

• Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Butter the bread on both sides and arrange in a baking dish.

• Slice and core the apple and tuck in among the bread slices then scatter over the raisins.

• Beat together eggs, sugar and cream then pour over the bread, pressing so the liquid is absorbed.

• Bake for 25-30 minutes until custard is just set.

Serves: four (especially with icecream).

Preparation time: 10 minutes.

Cooking time: 30 minutes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/6867431/Tis-the-season-to-cook-with-apples
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: