Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 07:19:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

How To Deal With Annoying People At the Theatre.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Deal With Annoying People At the Theatre.  (Read 1174 times)
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« on: May 13, 2009, 11:23:28 pm »

I recently  attended a show ( Miss Saigon) in the Christchurch Theatre Royal...fantastic show btw.
BUT

Sitting in front of me were 2 women who constantly jiggled in their seats, moved about and talked . They distracted me from enjoying the show as much as I should.
I vowed at half time to say something to them if it continued but for a while they actually sat still and shut up  until near the end when they got even worse.  I didn't want to cause even more disturbance to the people behind me by whacking them both over the head so did nothing.
After the show was over and just as I was moving out of our row I did tap them on the shoulders and say ythat if they ever went to another show the people behind them would appreciate it if they shut up and sat still as they had spoiled the show ( slight exaggeration) for everyone behind them.....I walked off and left them with mouths hanging open. 

My question is 'How can one murder the person in front undetected during a show?"

and   
How would you have handled it  I wish I had said something earlier.

It is bad enough coping with someone tall sitting in front but this was 10 times worse.   
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:11 am »

If it was me Id have stood up and asked them LOUDLY to be quiet.

Failing that - a small amount of popcorn liberally dosed with nitroglycerin and offered with a smile - sugegsting the popcorn might keep her trap shut.  Grin

timed out!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:27:39 am »

Dear Brownie

Sorry to hear your enjoyment was tainted by these windbags. 

There are several ways you can handle it in the future.

1) Start small (ish) - you need your voice to carry to them over their flapping gums, with a firm and clear 'SHHHH'.

2) If that fails, kick the back of the chair firmly with a decisive "BE QUIET".

3) Your final warning should be "SHUT UP YOU HOARY OLD WINDBAGS".

If all that fails, see the ushers and demand they act (they are actually paid to) or if they are too wimpy, demand better seats. 

Another way is to make condescending, obnoxious comments about their personage.

Or, go armed with a bag of jaffas and flick them into the back of their heads.  (Target practice at home to ensure good aim).

Or, at half time go and get a big cup of coke or other cold, sticky, smelly liquid and 'trip' on the way back to your seat.

There are some ideas for you to work with. 

Anyway, you could write to the theatre and complain about the ushers lack of policing the theatre.  You might score replacement tickets.

**Agony Aunt in no way condones the murder of theatre patrons.  But a little humiliation never hurt anyone. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:04:03 am »

Oh yeah - I hear new mums saying to their wee ones - use your BIG voice!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:24:20 pm »

I recently  attended a show ( Miss Saigon) in the Christchurch Theatre Royal...fantastic show btw.
BUT

Sitting in front of me were 2 women who constantly jiggled in their seats, moved about and talked . They distracted me from enjoying the show as much as I should.
I vowed at half time to say something to them if it continued but for a while they actually sat still and shut up  until near the end when they got even worse.  I didn't want to cause even more disturbance to the people behind me by whacking them both over the head so did nothing.
After the show was over and just as I was moving out of our row I did tap them on the shoulders and say ythat if they ever went to another show the people behind them would appreciate it if they shut up and sat still as they had spoiled the show ( slight exaggeration) for everyone behind them.....I walked off and left them with mouths hanging open. 

My question is 'How can one murder the person in front undetected during a show?"

and   
How would you have handled it  I wish I had said something earlier.

It is bad enough coping with someone tall sitting in front but this was 10 times worse.   

Doesn't that pee you off.  I was at a presentation recently when a well known radical woman was sitting in front of us who liked the sound of her voice more than she did the presenters.  Apart from being very rude (the presenter was over here from Canada) but we couldn't hear.  Eventually I tapped her on the shoulder and told her we couldn't hear and she shut up.

Wish I had done that 30 minutes earlier.

I remember taking my Grandaughter to a show at the Civic a few years ago and some boys behind us were kicking our seats.

Leah stands up in the middle of the show and loudly and assertively tells them to stop.  A lady sitting beside me said hear, hear.  Trouble is their poor Mum got shitty with them and we spent the rest of the show listening to her telling them off.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Alicat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:01:03 pm »

I went to see FIDDLER ON THE ROOF with Topol as Tevye (he's in the movie of it). There was a big fat slob sitting in the seat next to me encroaching on my space (leaning on me cos he couldn't fit in his seat. The - just seconds before Topol delivered some of his lines - this slob said the lines I knew all the lines too but didn't utter them and spoil it for others. I turned and fixed him with a glare. He stopped.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: