Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:29:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

GGggggrrrrr....

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GGggggrrrrr....  (Read 841 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:12 pm »

I'm building this online form thing which allows the user to create forms for use on their intranet (or Internet) site. It's for things like Business Cases, Capex and stuff, internal mission critical forms - but it's driving me nuts!

Basically, the idea is that the user (an Admin person) is meant to be able to come in and re-create an existing 'paper' form in my application.

In itself that's easy - but because their current forms (which are paper based) are laid out in a certain way with each one different then my form creator had to allow for custom arrangement of the form fields via a interface more meaningful than just numerically ordered.

I've gone with the rather cool drag-n-drop (JQuery Portlets - see http://www.bbc.co.uk for example) thing, where the user creates the fields (title, field, data type and help text) and is then presented with a page where the fields are laid out in default order (as they were entered) - the user can then drag-n-drop fields as much as they like rearranging the form and the changes are saved to the database. That template is then applied to that questionnaire...

That's the basic idea anyway - and it sounds easy enough.... lol....  but it's not going so well.
I keep hitting 'issues' which stump me for ages and then I get distracted/lose interest.... like now.

Cool bit of software this one thou - in the back end (Admin areas) there's all sorts of reports and fancy graphs, work-flow and a few others - and it's all packaged within a document management system designed to better centralise manuals and increase their accessibility at the same time. It compliments the application rather well me thinks.

Basically I'm trying to take this organisation (I think the largest SOE in NZ) and get rid of all the mountains of paper.... there's a lot of $$$ in doing that at the moment, reorganising data-flows... it amazing how much the large organisations save in staff time annually when everything is just 'there', simple and accessible.

YAY the recession!

Anyway - the logic in the database keeps doing my brain in... so I give up for that night.
 Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:49:08 am »

LOL - get rid of the paper - thats a laugh!
SOEs are bound to keep using both paper and cyber stuff - when there is a fuck up where would they go to to get the original details?
They cant be trusted Daz  Grin

Keep up the good work!

Heres a thought - telstra clear do not have the facilities to send out their accounts by email  Shocked
Even they still use snail mail accounting proceedures.  Might be some money in that one for you.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:55:24 pm »

I stopped getting my payslips printed on paper 7½ years ago. I had been harassing the pay office since 2000 asking why I couldn't have my payslips emailed to me every fortnight. Eventually they gave in to get me off their backs and started sending it to me in read-only Notepad documents (real basic, but very effective). So I was the very first person at Tranz Rail to get my payslips that way. About six months later, they began offering it to other employees too, but the option has always been to either continue receiving the payslip in printed form OR via email, but not both. It has been carried over into Toll Rail, then KiwiRail. I understand that more than 75% of employees have now opted to receive their payslips by email. And they only dropped the basic Notepad format last year — now it's simply incorporated into the body of an email.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:49:55 pm »

I could walk into any company in the country and stream-line their information flow- doing things just like you said TJ.

And for the larger companies they end up saving millions every year in lost staff productivity/printing and others...

All companies have processes which can be electronically converted... but still it's a real niche market.
You need CEO's with vision... and since most CEO's are old....

My current client (MOH) has so many 1970's ways of doing things - they could be keeping me busy for years!

Smiley

An old client of mine (Connell Wagner) invested 80K into my services and ended up saving over $1,000,000 a year with just one system alone.
AND Intranet stuff is far more fun than just websites because everyone uses the same browser so you can get REAL fancy with User Interfaces.

I still hate my job thou...

Wish something better would come along.

I wish I had the time to follow up one of my many ideas!

Undecided

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 05:55:42 pm by DazzaMc » Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:03:39 pm »

When my Auckland son started with Tasti Foods he took with him a stock control  program he had had a friend make for him at Meadowlea.  In the first 6 months he had chopped his workload - and saved the company over a mill.  Now hes got the same program working for Sanitarium and has done the same.   Grin

Every now and them he 'job hunts' just to find out if hes still being hunted, as soon as he puts his name out the offers come in, but hes got a cushy number where he is.  Changing will be hard for him.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: