Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 02:23:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Major power outage hits Auckland

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major power outage hits Auckland  (Read 1241 times)
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« on: February 03, 2009, 12:23:34 pm »

Auckland has been hit by a major power outage affecting up to 74,000 homes and businesses.

The spokeswoman for Vector, Phillipa White, said the outage resulted from a fault caused by Transpower transformers at Penrose.

She said it was affecting around 74,000 customers in the Eastern suburbs of Auckland, stretching from the south Auckland suburb of Mt Wellington to inner city Newmarket.

A receptionist at Greenlane Hospital said the hospital hadn't had power for about an hour.

"We have no power here, all we have is emergency lighting. The computers are all down and we haven't been contacted by anybody," she told stuff.co.nz.

Police are urging motorists to avoid the parts of central Auckland as power outages have rendered multiple traffic lights useless.

Inspector Kerry Watson said traffic lights were out of action in Balmoral, Greenlane, Onehunga and Orakei.

He said there too many intersections not working to arrange traffic pointmen to assist.

"These traffic light controlled intersections when not working become uncontrolled intersections."

The rule that applies is giveway to the right until power is restored, he said.

Mr Watson urged motorists to delay their journey to these areas until power was restored.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4836854a11.html

Hope none of our members are affected
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:41:12 pm »

let the blame game begin ...... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »

Op - that's me.
I cant work because my puter wont work.....

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

Op - that's me.
I cant work because my puter wont work.....

So how did you post that message, then?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »

Ooo theyve been busy little beavers out there in Auckland in the area of restoring power, aparently they had flames on some power lines along with other issues.  The Newmarket business assc reckon it will have cost quillions!!!!!!  hahaha .. funny how they just cant get along still with out power.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 01:30:26 pm »

Incident type: Power outages affecting Traffic lights

Power outage in Auckland city area
Traffic lights affected by power outages are in the following areas Panmure, Remuera, Orakei, Kyber pass thru to Mt Albert, Royal oak inclusive of the areas in between.
The power first went out at 1pm and we are hopeful that full power will be restored by 4pm.
Some areas have already had power restored.
We will keep you updated
Issued By: Inspector Kerry Watson
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:03 pm »

A receptionist at Greenlane Hospital said the hospital hadn't had power for about an hour.

"We have no power here, all we have is emergency lighting. The computers are all down and we haven't been contacted by anybody," she told stuff.co.nz.

Where the hell has their emergency power generators gone?
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
chrismrky

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

Where the hell has their emergency power generators gone?
[/quote]

sold to pay for the bureaucrats travel??? Wink
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:41:59 pm »

I was on the phone to a mate when the power went off, she phoned me back on my cellphone because she had tried the other phone with no luck. She said she was worried cos she thought I'd had a heart attack because I stopped mid sentence (and I never do that) Lol.

We have it restored now after two and a half hours. I just spent the time tidying up in the garden.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »

Didn't effect us as work is south of Penrose.   The last time there was a power cut it took hours to clean up the mess.   One machine has to be slowed down before turning off so a sudden cut off sent materials and liquid all over the factory.  No one was laughing but we're Jafa's so we weren't compaining either.  Not too much anyway.  Thats life Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 02:50:35 pm »

Tokgal, we kept our cord phones in case of a power cut.  Not sure where they are though.  Probably same place as the candles.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 03:57:18 pm »

What's the bet the JAFA-dominated TV news bulletins go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it in the 6:00pm news hour like they always do when there is a liddle-widdle power outage in Ork-Lund!!

It's the JAFA way of making themselves feel important in front of the REAL NEW ZEALAND!!!  Shocked   Roll Eyes   Cry   Grin    
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:55 pm »

There was a power cut?

I was too busy to notice.

It seems that either powercuts are rarer than they used to be or that businesses are more reliant on main supply than they used to be and don't invest enough in back ups.

Remember those old tills that could by hand cranked and checkout operators that knew the price of everything?
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:23 pm »

seemed strange driving home tonight without running the usual red lights Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 11:54:02 am »

A further 7500 homes and businesses are without power in Auckland's eastern suburbs after Transpower deliberately cut supply to the area.

This afternoon's power-cut was a deliberate move by Transpower to relieve the intense power load being placed on their Penrose sub-station.

Vector's communications manager Phillipa White said Transpower had instructed Vector to reduce power load while they performed repairs at the station.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4837744a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090204

A new power cut has hit Auckland, less than 24 hours after yesterday's major outage.

The areas affected are the eastern suburbs which were struck yesterday.

Transpower was due to release more information shortly.

Wendy Caspersonn from the St Heliers Bay Village Association said retailers and cafes were shutting shop.

"People just can't do business, they're just shutting up shop," Ms Caspersonn said.

She said cash registers weren't working and businesses wre without computers. Some businesses wre sending staff home for the second day in a row.

"In this economic climate, everyone is feeling pretty upset," Ms Caspersonn said.

"Everyone is paying high prices for a commodity that they're not receiving," she said.

Earlier, hospitals, homes and businesses in eastern Auckland were being told to conserve power or face further power cuts.

The power went out for up to two-and-a-half hours yesterday afternoon in east Auckland when a transformer broke down at the Penrose substation, affecting 74,000 homes and businesses.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10555132&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »

"People just can't do business, they're just shutting up shop," Ms Caspersonn said.

She said cash registers weren't working and businesses wre without computers. Some businesses wre sending staff home for the second day in a row.

"In this economic climate, everyone is feeling pretty upset," Ms Caspersonn said.

"Everyone is paying high prices for a commodity that they're not receiving," she said.

Typical whinging JAFAs.....move to the REAL NEW ZEALAND where there is plenty of power!  Wink 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:07:45 pm »

This last one, was arranged by the power co, and it happened just before lunchtime.
I dont care whether yer a Jafa or not, if you have a food business and the power goes off deliberately - and no warning has been given Id be fukkin' pissed too!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: