Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 09:33:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

LEMON PICKLE

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LEMON PICKLE  (Read 744 times)
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« on: January 26, 2009, 09:03:38 am »

LEMON PICKLE

You need 3 lemons, washed and thinly sliced, 1 small onion finely sliced, 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, 3/4 cup caster sugar and 1 cup white wine vinegar. Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water. In a heavy based pot on low heat, sweat the onions until transparent. Add chilli and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to let it brown. Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour until syrupy. Pour into sterilised jars. Makes around 400-500 mls. (I think)

I used three lemons and sliced them thinly. I cut them in half first and got out the seeds, then sliced. The way I blanched them was to put them in a pot of cold water and brought that to the boil, then drained and covered with cold water again, bring back to the boil and then drained and covered with cold water and brought back to the boil ie three times and then drained quickly. I use masterfoods chopped chilli instead of chilli flakes...add 1tsp for mild, 2 tsp hottish, and 3 ( if you are brave) for very hot.

I originally got this from TRADE ME message board  and have adapted it a bit. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this.. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:08:12 am by Brownie55 » Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:25 am »

Thats neat have wanted a recipe for that using lemons as I love lemon chicken........
Thought as this is about limes and lemons per se that these recipies best appropriate here:

lemon or lime spread.... sometimes called lemon cheese

Ingredients
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar
3 lemons, juice and zest of
1/4 cup butter (60g)
1/2 cup water, approximately

Directions:

1Put the lemon juice into a cup measure, then make up to a full cup with water.

2 Put all ingredients into a saucepan and boil (don't just simmer) for 10 minutes, stirring constantly after it boils - must not stir until it has boiled or it will go candied.

3 It thickens on cooling.

OR Made with eggs.

ZESTY LEMON SPREAD
Category: Sweet Dips / Spreads

3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1/2 lb butter, cut into pieces
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
Grated peel of one lemon

In a double boiler, combine ingredients. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickened like pudding.
Remove from heat and cool.
Chill until ready to serve.
Spread on rolls, in between cake layers, ice cream or muffins (poppy seed are really good with this). Keeps in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

IMHO not as good as the first version but is to some folks taste.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Shef
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 03:16:29 pm »

I use the second recipe as a base for ice-cream at work. Nice and easy and seriously tasty Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: