Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 12:10:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Lotto

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lotto  (Read 5549 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:20 pm »

$22m winning Lotto ticket sold in Christchurch

By NICOLE MATHEWSON - The Press | 6:00PM - Thursday, 26 September 2013

WINNER: Lotto Manager Lesley Berry (left) and Rebecca Fleet selling more tickets for Saturday at Pak'n'Save in Riccarton Mall, which sold the winning Big Wednesday ticket. — DAVID HALLETT/The Press.
WINNER: Lotto Manager Lesley Berry (left) and Rebecca Fleet selling more tickets for Saturday
at Pak'n'Save in Riccarton Mall, which sold the winning Big Wednesday ticket.
 — DAVID HALLETT/The Press.

A CHRISTCHURCH Lotto buyer has nabbed $22 million, but the ticket has not yet been claimed.

The lucky winner took out the top prize in last night's Big Wednesday lotto draw, netting a cool $22,569,174.

The ticket was purchased from Pak'nSave Riccarton, but was still to be claimed.

It was the third-largest Big Wednesday jackpot won so far, behind a $37m prize won by Masterton sisters Fiona and Siobhan in 2009 — the largest single prize ever collected — and the $27m claimed by a Tauranga man last year.

Only eight prizes of more than $20m had ever been won in Lotto's history.

Pak'nSave Riccarton Lotto manager Lesley Berry said the staff were very excited by Wednesday's win, which gave the store its 31st first division winner.

"I got rung up at 9.30pm last night; I didn't sleep much, a lot of tossing and turning," she said.

She hoped the winner came from Christchurch, saying it would give the city a bit of a lift "given everything we've been through".

Christchurch Lotto gamblers will be crossing their fingers for another big win in the city on Saturday, when a $32m jackpot will be up for grabs.

The weekend's game was a "must-be-won" draw, meaning if there were no Powerball first division winners, the jackpot would be shared evenly amongst the winners of the next highest division.

The last must-be-won Powerball draw was in April 2011, which saw two players share the $35m prize.

Berry said the Riccarton store had been "extremely busy" in the lead-up to the draw.

"It's all staff on at the moment."

New Zealand Lotteries spokeswoman Emilia Mazur said the full impact of Saturday's game would not be known until the weekend, as most players usually bought tickets on the day of the draw.

However, the first few days of sales this week was double that seen during a low jackpot week, such as a Powerball prize of about $4m, she said.

Susan Tupe of South City Lotto and Post said the central city outlet had been prepared up for a busy week, with the day of the $32m draw expected to be the busiest.

"I think it's going to be huge. We're pumping already," she said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/9211358/22m-winning-Lotto-ticket-sold-in-Christchurch
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:30 pm »

$22m Lotto prize unclaimed

By NICOLE MATHEWSON - The Press | 5:00AM - Saturday, 28 September 2013

A CHRISTCHURCH Lotto buyer may not know they are now a multimillionaire, with a $22 million-winning ticket drawn this week still left unclaimed.

The Big Wednesday prize — the third largest in the game's history - was won with a ticket purchased from Pak'n'Save Riccarton.

New Zealand Lotteries spokeswoman Emilia Mazur said aside from this week's ticket, the largest unclaimed prize was $1m won on Lotto first division in March this year.

The winning ticket then had been purchased from Auckland's Shortland Superette.

"For most first division wins, we find the winner typically claims soon after the win — usually within a week or two," Mazur said.

Other Christchurch Lotto outlets were hoping for another big win in the city this week, with $32m up for grabs tonight.

The Powerball jackpot had been deemed a "must-be-won" draw, so if there was no first division winner the $32m would be shared evenly amongst the winners in the next highest division.

Lotto & Wild Thingz owner Vicky Kingsland said she had seen double the number of ticket sales at her store at The Palms Shopping Centre as she normally would.

At times, the queues became so long they "snaked" out of the store and around neighbouring shops.

Staff were handing out sweets to entertain those waiting, but did not have any tips for punters, she said.

"Historically more people win with lucky dips, but that's because more people buy lucky dips. With this draw people are doing both."

New Brighton Lotto owner Naresh Ramji said his store had also seen a doubling in ticket sales this week.

"It's been steady all week because Wednesday was big also."

He had seen a few new faces buying tickets this week, while many of the regulars were buying extra tickets on top of their normal purchase because of the huge prize on offer.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/canterbury/9220419/22m-Lotto-prize-unclaimed
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:39 pm »

How to spend Powerball millions

Tonight someone will be screaming for joy at
their Powerball win. Then come the decisions.

By LIAM HYSLOP - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Saturday, 28 September 2013

ISLAND GETAWAY: Buying Pakatoa Island won't leave you any change from the $32 million winnings.
ISLAND GETAWAY: Buying Pakatoa Island won't leave you any change from the $32 million winnings.

JUST AFTER 8pm someone will be jumping up and down and screaming for joy at winning Powerball's $32 million jackpot.

But by Monday they will have some decisions to make, not the least of which what to spend all that money on, or if to spend it at all.

Here is a taste of some of the ways you could try to invest 32 million big ones.

$150,000, Sevens party: Fancy taking a few friends to the Sevens? The tickets might have gone on sale yesterday but if they were all still available you could buy every ticket in the stadium for both days and still leave about $200 per person for costumes. Maybe you don't have 35,000 friends available, so how about the ultimate weekend for you and 99 of your best friends. After buying tickets, five-star accommodation, an all-day limousine service, a substantial bar tab and elaborate costumes you would still have spent only a paltry $150,000.

$32m, an island: Fancy a little privacy? How about owning your own island? Pakatoa Island in the Hauraki Gulf is up for sale but be prepared to not have much spending money with the current asking price set at $32m on Trade Me. The 24-hectare island features three conference centres, a golf course and three white sandy beaches among its extensive features.

$8.8m, celebrity mansion: Maybe an island is a bit much so how about some of the hottest property on the market. Overlooking the Hauraki Gulf is the New Zealand Masterchef and Next Top Model house listed at $8.8m. It features up to nine bedrooms, a home theatre room and half Olympic-sized infinity pool. If Auckland is not your scene then a four-bedroom property in Te Aro may be more suitable. Half the price at just $4.25m, this is for the more modest millionaire with a smaller swimming pool and slightly homelier feel overlooking Wellington Harbour.

$5.29m, luxury catamaran: Perhaps you might like to put the money towards starting Team New Zealand's next America's Cup bid. If that seems like a doomed investment then perhaps purchasing a multihull yacht of your own is of more interest. The 24-metre Catana Taino 82 catamaran is on the market at $5.29m and features six cabins, a bar and dining room. And this is at the lower end of luxury yachts.

$80m, Lear jet: Don't get ahead of yourself and think you can spend like director Peter Jackson though, who in May splashed out $80m on a Gulfstream G650 private jet. Lotto winners can afford a smaller, second-hand model, with an online site offering a G150 for $8.75m.

$600,000, educate your kids: For the millionaire with a family there is the option of securing the kids university education. Take a five-year law student in Wellington as an example. First, a two-bedroom flat opposite Kelburn Park, not far from Victoria University will set you back $485,000. Add to that $35,000 of fees, $50,000 in living costs and $20,000 for a car and petrol to get about and the bill starts to nudge $600,000 per child.

If after all that spending on yourself you may have an urge to give to others.

In Masterton, the four-person "Irish Luck" syndicate won a record $36.9m in 2009 on Big Wednesday. They set up a trust and since then the trust have donated about $1.5m to the Wairarapa ambulance service. There are a plethora of charities desperate for donations for those of the philanthropic nature.

And if you're not in a spending mood then it could be as simple as putting the money in the bank and living off the interest.

A spokesman for ANZ said someone who put all the money into a simple savings account would earn $1.2m in interest per annum before tax.

Inland Revenue would take 33% of that in resident withholding tax, leaving the winner income of $804,000.

Just after 8pm tonight someone's life is going to dramatically change.

What they do from there is up to them.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/9220523/How-to-spend-Powerball-millions
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2013, 12:44:35 am »

One winner takes jackpot

Fairfax NZ News | 9:43PM - Saturday, 28 September 2013

THE sound of champagne corks popping will be ringing around one Auckland house tonight.

Powerball jackpotted to $32.9 million this weekend and after tonight's draw, it was revealed there was only one winner, making them the biggest individual prize winner in the game's history.

The winning ticket was sold at One Step Ahead in Ponsonby.

Winners ordinarily have to pick all six numbers and the Powerball but because the jackpot passed the $30m threshold, it had to be claimed tonight.

No one picked all the correct numbers so it dropped down to second division where there was only one who got five numbers, the bonus ball and the all-important Powerball.

Two punters will be kicking themselves tonight after picking all six Lotto numbers but not the Powerball.

The pair get $500,000 each.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9222611/One-winner-takes-jackpot
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2013, 10:27:57 am »

The winning numbers aren't on that ticket
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:13 pm »

6th November 2010?   
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
AuntyRotter
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

They weren't on mine either.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »

They weren't on mine either.

Ditto....nor mine.

I actually had a Powerdip ticket this time (I don't purchase many lotto tickets). And because I'm really slack at checking the numbers, I purchased my ticket from Eketahuna (only 20 minutes up the road from here) so that if I heard via the news media that the big winning ticket had been sold in Eketahuna, then I'd have got motivated to check my numbers.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »

Lotto's $55m remains unclaimed

The Dominion Post | 9:06AM - Monday, 30 September 2013

WINNERS of two massive Lotto prizes in the past week have still to claim their millions.

Neither the winner of Saturday’s $33 million Powerball, nor the $22 million Big Wednesday ticket holder had yet made contact, New Zealand Lotteries spokeswoman Emilia Mazur said this morning.

The $33 million prize — the largest individual Powerball prize in the game’s history — was won by a single ticket sold in Auckland.

Shoe repair store One Step Ahead, in Ponsonby, said since the win was announced the phone has been ringing off the hook.

"We’re a little bit shell-shocked," said owner Alison Ashton yesterday.

"We’re not usually open on a Sunday but we’ve been here this morning and a few regulars have been coming by to check if it was them."

The store has sold six first division- winning tickets in its history, Ms Ashton said.

Saturday night’s prize had to go after the jackpot passed the $30m threshold.

Normally, winners have to pick all six numbers and the Powerball but because no-one picked all the correct numbers it dropped down to second division.

The winning ticket had five numbers, the bonus ball and the all-important Powerball.

Two punters will be kicking themselves after picking all six Lotto numbers but not the Powerball.

The pair get $500,000 each.

The $22 million Big Wednesday prize was won by a ticket bought in Christchurch.

NO MORE DREAMING

What you could buy with $33m:

❏ A third share of Peter Jackson’s private jet — worth $80m.

❏ Most of Kim Dotcom’s house — thought to be worth around $35m.

❏ 20 million Meridian shares @ $1.60 each.

❏ 8 million lattes at $4 each.

❏ Monet’s 1908 "Le Palais Contarini" painting, worth $30.8 million.

❏ 639kg of gold at $51.66 per gram.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/9225304/Lottos-55m-remains-unclaimed
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2013, 10:21:56 am »

Westie claims $33m Lotto prize

NZ Newswire
October 1, 2013, 10:14 am

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/19184839/westie-claims-33m-lotto-prize/

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
AuntyRotter
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:31 am »

Waited until he had been to the gym before checking it.    Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2013, 10:41:06 am »

It's wasted on a Westie variety of JAFA.

It should have gone my way....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2013, 12:26:59 pm »

from The New Zealand Herald....

Oblivious $22m ticket holder tracked down by Lotto

By PATRICE DOUGAN - APNZ | 11:29AM - Sunday, October 20, 2013

Big Wednesday Lotto ticket. — File photo: NZ Herald.
Big Wednesday Lotto ticket. — File photo: NZ Herald.

A KNOCK on a Christchurch man's door has changed his life, after it emerged he was sitting on a $22.6 million winning Lotto ticket, and didn't realise.

The man, who wished to remain anonymous, will be celebrating tonight after Lotto New Zealand officials tracked him down in a bid to find the Big Wednesday ticket winner after the prize lay unclaimed for weeks.

But he didn't believe them at first.

"They said, ‘I think you're our Big Wednesday winner’. I just said, ‘nah, it's never me’," he said.

"I knew somebody already won that prize — a guy at work told me."

Believing that someone else had won, the man had decided there was no point in checking his ticket.

"This guy was sitting on a winning ticket worth $22.6 million and, as incredible as it sounds, he may have never checked it," said Chris Lyman chief operating officer for Lotto NZ.

"It took some convincing to encourage him to check his ticket."

Mr Lyman and his team had decided to take matters into their own hands after more than three weeks passed without anyone claiming the multi-million dollar ticket.

"When someone wins a prize this big, we usually hear from the winner within days, if not hours," said Mr Lyman, adding they were "worried that someone may have lost the ticket or forgotten they'd bought it".

They used their gaming system to find specific information about the winning ticket and asked the staff at Pak'nSave Riccarton, where it was bought for the September 25th draw, for help in tracking down the winner.

They soon found themselves on the front steps of the lucky Christchurch man's house.

"The first I had any clue was when there was a knock at my door," he said.

But the good news has started to sink in.

"I can just live on the interest," the man laughed.

"I don't want to work until I'm 65 — and now I don't have to."

And despite being the winner of the largest-ever lottery prize in the South Island, the man is determined it won't change his life dramatically.

"I love Christchurch and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Maybe now I can build the house of my dreams here," he said.

The $22.6 million prize in the third largest prize won in a Big Wednesday draw, and one of the top eight prizes won across all lottery games in New Zealand.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11143141
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:30 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

AuntyRotter
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2013, 02:56:36 pm »

Good on him.    Imagine if his neighbour bought a ticket in the same draw from the same shop.       You would hate his guts forever.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2013, 03:08:02 pm »

Those clowns and wankers and arsewipes at WhaleOil were frothing at the mouth over the man's privacy being breached.

They reckoned that if he was too stupid (their term) to check his own tickets, then he deserved to miss out on the prize.

What a pity all those clowns and wankers and arsewipes at WhaleOil are separated by cyberspace instead of all gathering in the same space, where an Al Copone-style St Valentine's Day Massacre with a Thompson Submachinegun could improve NZ's gene pool by a few thousand percent in one hit!

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »

from The New Zealand Herald....

One million reasons to check old Lotto

APNZ | 1:06PM - Friday, November 01, 2013

A MAN has claimed a $1 million Lotto prize — seven months after buying his ticket.

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, found a handful of old tickets in a coffee table drawer when he started doing his tax return for the end of the financial year.

"When I found the tickets, I thought I may as well check them online at MyLotto.co.nz, just in case," the winner said.

"So I went through each one, until I got to the one from March this year. As I started going through the numbers, it looked like I had all of them."

"Even though I checked the numbers about 10 times, I still thought I must've done something wrong."

Having already waited seven months to check the ticket, the man thought waiting another day couldn't hurt.

"I put the ticket in my wallet and decided to go and check it the next day. I figured, if I hadn't lost the ticket in seven months, I probably wouldn't lose it overnight."

At the time of collecting his prize, the man hadn't shared the news of his win with friends and family — not because he didn't want to tell them, but because he wanted to make sure he had actually won.

"Just because it was such an old ticket. It looked like I had all the numbers, but I just wasn't 100 percent sure."

Now the prize is in his bank account, he's starting to believe his luck, but he doesn't think life would have been that different even if he'd checked the ticket seven months ago.

"I love my job and I'll still keep working ... but I might have had a few more sleep-ins over the past seven months, if I'd known," he laughed.

The man plans to follow his dream of buying a house — without a mortgage.

Customers have 12 months from the date of the draw to claim their prizes.

The winning ticket was bought from Shortland Superette in Auckland for the Lotto draw on March 9th.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11150098
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:31 pm »

Pukekohe ticket wins $20m Lotto prize

(The New Zealand Herald - 8:50PM, Wednesday, September 03, 2014)
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »

STUCK IN NEUTRAL
(click on the picture to read the news story)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: