Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 03:30:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Lotto

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lotto  (Read 5512 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2011, 07:04:58 pm »

$8.4m Coast winner

By VIV LOGIE - The Greymouth Star | Thursday, 24 November 2011

BIG WEDNESDAY: Greymouth New World sold the winning ticket.
BIG WEDNESDAY: Greymouth New World sold the winning ticket.

IT WAS a Big Wednesday indeed for one lucky Greymouth punter, who scooped a whopping $8.4 million in last night’s Lotto draw.

Today, curious eyes were trained on the Greymouth New World Lotto counter as speculation around town ran riot.

By lunchtime, the winner had not yet come forward to validate the lucky ticket — either at the counter or by phone with the NZ Lotteries Commission — but whoever it is may find it difficult to hide their new-found wealth, which includes $7m cash, a Lamborghini Gallardo, Audi Q7, Rayglass 2200 boat, $50,000 Visa Platinum car, $50,000 worth of luxury travel and $675,000 cash towards a bach. Total value: $8,412,300.

It was the the largest prize sold by Greymouth New World and the sixth biggest Big Wednesday prize ever won in New Zealand. It also comes just over a year since a $10.6m Big Wednesday prize was won in Reefton.

The West Coast record for a Lotto win was an $11.2m winner sold by Hokitika New World in 2002. The winner was never publicly identified.

Reefton has also had more than its share of Lotto winnings for a population of just 1000. In 2008, pensioner Harry Wilson collected $6.1m, and last September a ‘South Island family’ enjoyed winnings of $10.6m.

Greymouth New World owner Victoria Boyes had the balloons and out lollies today. She was ecstatic about last night’s win, excited for whoever had won.

“It is absolutely fantastic and could not have come at a better time. I hope it has gone to some deserving Coaster. I’m just so excited for them — we are all celebrating today.”

The supermarket also sold last night’s second division winning ticket, valued at $73,000.

NZ Lotteries spokeswoman Karen Jones was not surprised the prize had not been collected today.

“I suspect the winner is keeping their head down with Greymouth being a small community, but I’m pretty certain whoever it is they will come forward soon.”

It was unlikely that the winner would go back to the store to validate the ticket, she said.

“If they do it directly through Wellington they will get their prize paid out quicker.”

Big Wednesday has been struck four times in 2011 — in July, two players from Canterbury won $4.6m each in cash and prizes, in March $6.7m went to a Wellington winner, and in January $5.2m was claimed in Te Kuiti.

NZ Lotteries’ chief executive Todd McLeay’s advice for the latest winner was to write their name and address on their ticket as soon as possible, confirming ownership, and to contact NZ Lotteries in order to determine their next steps.

http://www.greystar.co.nz/content/84m-coast-winner
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »

Aucklander celebrates $6m Lotto win

By HAYLEY HANNAN - HERALD on SUNDAY | 11:16AM - Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Powerball winner will be celebrating after their $6m win. — Photo: Alan Gibson.
The Powerball winner will be celebrating
after their $6m win. — Photo: Alan Gibson.

WHILE politics are on the minds of most this morning, an Auckland Lotto Powerball winner is celebrating a win of more than $6 million.

The Lotto Powerball draw last night left one Auckland ticketholder's bank balance $6,142,857 wealthier, said NZ Lotteries' Chief Executive Todd McLeay.

"While people have been queuing up for more than Lotto this week, clearly our winner made sure they still had their ticket for tonight's draw, and what a result for them." said Mr McLeay.

The winning ticket was sold at St Lukes Lotto in Auckland.

The prize combines a $142,857 win from Lotto First Division, and a $6 million win from Powerball First Division.

LOTTO

Meanwhile, a handful of other Kiwis scattered across the country will wake up much richer.

Another six tickets across the country won $142,857 in a share of Lotto First Division. The tickets were sold at Houhora Wharf Store, Kaitaia, Crandall Peters Paper Plus in Manukau, Paremata New World in Porirua, Mall Books & Lotto in Wellington, Countdown Timaru, and Pak'N'Save Dunedin.

A Strike Four ticket sold from Peninsula Pharmacy in Waitakere picked up $152,844, and Tony from Manurewa won $200,000 on Lotto's Winning Wheel on the live draw.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10769131
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »

NZ's $926m Lotto gamble

By MICHAEL DICKISON and ADAM BENNETT - The New Zealand Herald | 5:30AM - Friday, December 30, 2011

“We were too shocked to celebrate. I just had a beer and went to bed, but neither of us slept a wink.” — $8.4 million winner. — Photo: NZ Herald
We were too shocked to celebrate. I just had a beer and went to bed, but
neither of us slept a wink.
” — $8.4 million winner. — Photo: NZ Herald.

HUGE JACKPOTS lured New Zealanders into spending a record $926 million on Lotto, Instant Kiwi and other lotteries in the last year — and the Lotteries Commission wants to boost sales further.

But the Problem Gambling Foundation says it is not socially responsible for the state-owned commission to aim for growth in gambling during tough economic times.

In its 2010/11 annual report, the commission highlights its "exceptional sales result" of $925.9 million during the year, achieved from "successful changes to Lotto and Instant Kiwi,as well as two large Powerball jackpots".

The figure equals spending of $210 year on lotteries by every man, woman and child living in New Zealand.

It was $143.6 million up — an 18.4 per cent increase — on the previous year, "which did not have the benefit of extraordinary jackpot runs".

"This result was particularly gratifying as it was achieved against the background of a retail environment that continues to be very challenging," said chairwoman Judy Kirk and chief executive Todd McLeay in the annual report.

"Our business is in good shape - our brands are strong, our sales are high, and our retailers and staff are committed.

"From this base, we now look to the future with a specific strategic objective — to encourage more people to play."

Problem Gambling Foundation chief executive Graeme Ramsey said tough economic times contributed to higher lottery sales.

"I do think there's the impact of the recession and people thinking a big win would cure all their ills."

But the "really big issue" was the incidence of jackpots over a certain size. "When a jackpot gets beyond about $12.5 million it drives sales dramatically... I think we need to rethink those jackpots."

While the incidence of problem gambling directly attributable to lotteries was low, they were increasingly seen as a secondary problem for those with other gambling habits, such as playing the pokies.

Mr Ramsey questioned the Lotteries Commission's ambition to get more people to play.

"I certainly think that in very tough economic times, which look set to continue, the mission of Lotteries to continue to grow gambling does not appear appropriate for a state-owned enterprise."

LOTTO

Of the almost billion-dollar sales figures, $498.4 million was paid out in prizes, including to holders of 28 tickets worth more than $1 million.

In April, a $35.4 million draw was split two ways between tickets bought in Dinsdale and Dannevirke.

A Greymouth couple won $8.4 million in November and said the winning ticket became soaked with sweat from their excitement.

"I wrote the numbers on the top of the ticket and started checking them off — I checked off about two, and then the winning line just seemed to leap out at me, it was surreal," said one of the couple at the time.

"We were too shocked to celebrate. I just had a beer and went to bed, but neither of us slept a wink."

The record single prize in the 2010/2011 year was $28 million won by to a pig hunter.

The winner said at the time that his hands shook so much he could not write his name on the ticket.

"We have been down to our last dollar a couple of times this year, so winning this much money is amazing."

The largest ever Lotto prize was $36.9 million won by a Wairarapa syndicate of four family members in 2009.

The Lotteries Commission gave $183.3 million of its profits for grants to hundreds of community, environment, health, arts and other projects.

About $10 million helped to fund the Real New Zealand Festival — 175 public events held at the same time as the Rugby World Cup — and helped to pay for the recording of national anthems for the tournament.

The remainder — about $244 million — was taken up mostly by GST, the lottery duty and retailer commissions. Promotions and salaries were among the smaller costs.

Tomorrow night, more than $11 million in cash and other prizes could be won.

Powerball is set to jackpot to $5 million, and a further $5 million worth of prizes, including cars, boats and a bach, could be shared in the New Year's Eve triple dip draw.

BIG SPENDERS:

• $925.9m, lottery sales including Lotto, Keno and Instant Kiwi in the 2010/11 year.

WHERE THE MONEY WENT:

• $498.4m in prizes from 26,954,853 tickets.

• $183.3m of profit given for distribution by the NZ Lottery Grants Board.

• $244m taken up by GST, lottery duty and commissions for retailers.

BIG WINNERS:

• 28 prizes above $1m, including 12 above $2m.

• $28.7m biggest lottery jackpot, won by a Papakura pig hunter last year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10775867
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/12708565/broken-down-car-pays-dividends-for-lucky-couple/ Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2012, 12:19:58 pm »

A $22m jackpot win may be fourth-biggest

The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Monday, 19 March 2012

SATURDAY's Powerball could be the fourth biggest prize in New Zealand history.

The top prize of $19 million was not struck at the weekend and the jackpot will reach an estimated $22 million.

First division Lotto was won by two ticketholders on Saturday night. One of the tickets was sold at a store in Waikanae and the other at the Otatara Four Square in Invercargill. Each ticketholder will receive $500,000.

That amount pales in comparison to the massive prize on offer next weekend.

NZ Lotteries acting chief executive Warren Salisbury said next week's prize would be one of the top prizes on offer in NZ Lotteries' history. "If it's won by a single ticket, it'll be the fourth-biggest prize ever won."

Powerball is allowed to jackpot only to $30m before a must-be-won draw is held. If there are no winners in that draw the prize is split between the winners of the second division.

Lotto outlets will be busy this week as large prizes usually increase ticket sales.

Strike Four, the top division of the Strike game, was also not struck this week and will jackpot to $500,000.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6595909/A-22m-jackpot-win-may-be-fourth-biggest
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 07:56:59 pm »

NZer's $10m Lotto win + Lamborghini, Audi ...and boat

The New Zealand Herald | 10:30AM - Thursday, March 22, 2012

LOTTO. — Photo: Herald on Sunday.

AN AUCKLANDER has become an overnight multimillionaire after winning the fourth largest Big Wednesday Lotto prize ever.

NZ Lotteries chief executive Wayne Pickup said the unknown person, who bought a ticket at Royal Oak Mall, had won $11.4 million in last night's draw.

Their prize package includes a Lamborghini, an Audi, a boat, $50,000 cash towards luxury travel, a $50,000 Platinum VISA card, $675,000 cash towards a bach and $10 million cash.

He advised the winner to write their name and address on their ticket as soon as possible.

Royal Oak Lotto store owner Gill Newlove said staff were excited about the winner arriving with their ticket.

"We've had a lot of people coming in and checking their tickets, and asking if it's been claimed yet. It would be great if it's gone to a regular, either way we're all feeling tingly!"

Big Wednesday has been jackpotting since a Greymouth couple won $8.4 million last November.

The biggest Big Wednesday win ever was a $36 million prize claimed in Masterton in 2009.

In 2006 there were two $12 million Big Wednesday wins in Thames and Wellington.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10793776
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:24 am »

I have my snout in tonight's trough.    Grin.  Spent the whole week working out how I am going to spend it.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2012, 09:30:32 am »

I have my snout in tonight's trough.    Grin.  Spent the whole week working out how I am going to spend it.

Just as well dreams are free! I have it all planned. I'm going to start off by buying a magnificent Steinway Grand Piano (jet black of course) then build the ultimate music room and house around it. I have my favourite charities and they would benefit handsomely. I have a few special friends and family members who have been very kind to me with their time and loyalty over the years (through the good and bad times) - they would find their mortgages paid off. I would either cut my work hours down to part time, or I would retire. I am not the sort to ever get bored and would find plenty to do including going back to volunteer work for organisations close to my heart.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 10:57:55 am »

Don't forget a chair in the corner of the music room for me to listen to the piano.   Grin.  I would be very very quiet or belt out Napoleans Last Charge.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »

Don't forget a chair in the corner of the music room for me to listen to the piano.   Grin.  I would be very very quiet or belt out Napoleans Last Charge.

I can do that

I forgot to mention the huge cat play room I'd have with wall to floor jungle gyms, extremely large carpet platforms and tunnels for my lot to play in. Their lives wouldn't change otherwise though 'cos they already have it bloody good here!
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »

Well if I won I would establish trust funds for my nephews (interest only until they reach 65)
Establish a scholarship for the discipline in which I am qualified
take a long long holiday
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »

Wairarapa has best odds for tonight's $22m Powerball

By SHANE COWLISHAW - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Saturday, 24 March 2012

LOTTO

IF YOU are hoping to win the $22 million Lotto Powerball draw tonight, you may want to try your luck in Wairarapa.

Sales and prize data provided to The Dominion Post by the Lotteries Commission show the Wairarapa region averaged the highest return per dollar spent last year.

It was one of only two regions in New Zealand that paid out more in prizemoney than was spent. A total of $13,404,373 was spent on tickets and scratchie cards in the region last year, while $24,893,586 was paid out in prizes.

Since 2006, Wairarapa winners have taken more than $75m in prizemoney, including a Masterton family syndicate who walked away with $36.1m — the biggest win yet — in 2009.

Calling themselves Irish Luck, Margaret Heaney, her daughters Fiona Wilton and Siobhan Logan and granddaughter Alicia Heaney went on to give significant amounts to charity.

Last year Taranaki had the dubious honour of being the unluckiest region, with only 36 cents for every dollar spent being paid out in prizes. Delving into the Wellington region, Upper Hutt gamblers had the least luck with their tickets with a 35 cent return while the Kapiti Coast, boosted by a $15.6m win in Waikanae Beach, paid out $20.56m in prizes with sales of $12.19m.

All games run by Lotto had larger sales totals than the amount paid out, but new game Bulls Eye was statistically the worst performer for the Lotteries Commission, with $14.39m in sales and $9.21m in prizes.

Big Wednesday had the biggest difference, with $113.72m in sales and $56.99m in prizes. The figures are based on net sales and don't include Winning Wheel payments or unclaimed prizes.

Auckland University department of statistics associate professor David Scott said the average punter had no idea how astronomically small their odds of winning were. It was about the same as picking a coin toss 16 times in a row, which sounded easy but was "almost impossible".

The best time to buy a ticket was when the draw was at a must-win stage as the odds were better because it could be won by a second division ticket.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/6629776/Wairarapa-has-best-odds-for-tonights-22m-Powerball
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »

Powerball winner Trev quits the day job

By STACEY KIRK - Fairfax NZ News | 11:36AM - Wednesday, 02 May 2012

HE'S NOT AT WORK!

“TREV FROM TE KAUWHATA” hit the $26.5m Powerball jackpot a month ago and promised to return to his supermarket job the next day — instead, he has quit.

The 34-year-old Waikato man scooped the Powerball win last month, which he claimed at the Lotteries Commission in Wellington before heading back home in time for work the next day at Countdown Huntly.

But after betting John Campbell $26.5 million he would go to work the next day, he failed to show.

A Countdown Huntly spokeswoman confirmed today he had not been back since.

"No he hasn't come back, he no longer works here, but he still keeps in touch," she said.

At the time, Trev said he'd continue working "because I enjoy my job and not because I have to pay bills".

"Nothing is going to change. At the end of the day my bank balance is longer than my phone number, but I love my job."

JOBLESS: Trev the Lotto Powerball winner has a new life.
JOBLESS: Trev the Lotto Powerball winner has a new life.

He purchased his ticket at the Te Kauwhata Four Square Foodmarket, but a spokesman there said he had "no idea" where Trev was now.

In the small town of about 1200, no one is giving up his whereabouts, but it was reported in the weeks after his win that he had fled to find some privacy.

A number of people had reportedly come out of the woodwork to beg for money.

However, one of the first things Trev bought was a $70,000 2011 Holden Maloo Ute from Moyes Panmure. The ute was sourced from a Hamilton dealer, and he was in talks to source a Dodge Viper — asking price $150,000. He also splashed out on a new car for his mother.

Before the win, Trev said financially he lived week-to-week.

But he was determined not to let the life-changing win lead him into making rash decisions.

The confirmed bachelor said he wasn't in a rush to meet anyone just because he had won a lot of money.

"I want to find someone for the right reasons," he said.

"I'm the same person I was yesterday and the day before that.

A New Zealand Lotteries Commission spokeswoman said it was still in touch with Trev, as was the case with a number of past winners, but would not be releasing any more information.

He declined any further media interviews.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6844304/Powerball-winner-Trev-quits-the-day-job
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »

Wellington couple win $500,000

The Dominion Post | 1:43PM - Monday, 16 July, 2012

AN OVERSEAS ESCAPE from Wellington's winter is a top priority for a couple who are now $500,000 richer after Saturday’s Lotto draw.

The married couple, who want to remain anonymous, buy their Lotto ticket from New World Metro at the Wellington Railway Station every week.

"My husband checked the numbers and told me we’d won. At first I didn’t believe him because he’s told me that we’ve won Lotto in the past, when we haven’t. But this time, he wasn’t crying wolf."

The couple said they spent the rest of a sleepless Saturday night planning how to spend their money.

They said they would pay off their mortgage and then go on an overseas trip to escape the gloomy Wellington weather.

Three other ticket-holders share the first division prize pool, with each taking home $500,000.

The other winning tickets came from Palmerston North, Whangarei, and Te Awamutu. The Te Awamutu ticket also won Powerball First Division, worth an additional $5 million dollars.

None of the other winners have come forward to collect their prizes, at this stage.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/7286627/Wellington-couple-win-500-000
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2012, 04:24:53 pm »

Where is Wellington's luckiest Lotto shop?

CAPITAL LIFE

By ELLE HUNT - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Wednesday, 01 August 2012

LOTTO

IF YOU plan to celebrate 25 years of Lotto with a ticket for tonight's Big Wednesday draw, some outlets offer better odds than others.

Radius Pharmacy in Hastings tops the Lotteries Commission's list of the top 15 retailers for first division winners, with 34 winning tickets.

The highest-ranked in Wellington is Mall Books & Lotto in Riddiford St, Newtown, at No.6 — it has sold 21 first division tickets since it opened in 1987, resulting in more than $10.1 million in prizes.

Nanette Woodham, lotto supervisor at Radius Pharmacy, said of the 34 wins: "It's had a massive impact. It's really put us on the tourist track, because everybody who comes to Hastings says, ‘Oh, we must go to the luckiest Lotto shop’."

"So we retain that status. And it's been wonderful for business."

She has worked at the pharmacy for 18 years: "I've seen a lot of it. Not quite the full 25 years, but a lot of it."

Max and Susie Maisuria, who have owned Mall Books & Lotto for more than a decade, could not explain the store's stroke of luck.

"Looking at the size of Newtown, we've sold a lot of prizes," Mr Maisuria said.

"And we're selling more tickets than the supermarkets because of our wins."

More than $12m in cash and close to $2m in prizes are up for grabs in tonight's Big Wednesday draw, and Mr Maisuria said he expected this to drive ticket sales. "Wednesday and Saturdays are our busiest days."

Paraparaumu's Coastlands Lotto and Kapiti Pak 'n' Save also appear on the Lotteries Commission list, with 26 and 19 first division tickets sold.

New Zealand's first Lotto draw was held on August 01, 1987, with a first division prize of just under $360,000.

Since then, more than 300 million people have received over $7 billion in prizes across Lotto, Powerball and Strike.

The Lottery Grants Board has returned more than $3b from ticket sales to communities around the country.

LUCKY NUMBERS

• 1 is the luckiest number, having been drawn 378 times in Lotto and Lotto Strike games.

• 3 is the luckiest Powerball number, having been drawn 80 times.

• The biggest individual Lotto win was more than $28 million, in October 2010.

• Te Kauwhata supermarket worker Trevor Cooper was dubbed New Zealand's most eligible bachelor after he won more than $26.5m this year.

• 18 people have been made millionaires live on television since the winning wheel was introduced in 1993.

• The odds of winning Lotto first division are 1 in 3,838,380 per line played In 1993, a record 38 people won first division; each took home $35,937.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/7387777/Where-is-Wellingtons-luckiest-Lotto-shop
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:58 am »

Lotto First Division winners for Palmerston North and Auckland

Whilst New Zealand celebrates the gold medals won in London, two Lotto players will have their own winning feeling after scoring a $500,000 First Division prize, says NZ Lotteries' Chief Executive Wayne Pickup.

The two tickets were sold at Melody's New World in Palmerston North and at Mobil Mt Albert in Auckland.

Powerball First Division has jackpotted and will be worth an estimated $7 million next week.

A Strike Four prize of $158,066 was won by a player who bought a ticket from Relay at Auckland Airport.

Meanwhile, Hongkham from Auckland spun and won a fantastic $200,000 on the Winning Wheel.

All Lotto players are automatically in the draw to win the opportunity to spin Lotto's Winning Wheel, regardless of the type of ticket they buy.

There was a Winning Wheel bonus draw tonight, due to a number of unclaimed prizes, with three winners drawn. The three Winning Wheel tickets' serial numbers and selling locations are listed below:

531-17021185-20xx, Greenmeadows Pharmacy, NAPIER

531-63596559-20xx, Countdown Lynn Mall, WAITAKERE

532-40763693-20xx, Countdown Eastgate, CHRISTCHURCH

Anyone who bought their ticket from any of the above winning stores should write their name on the back of the ticket and check it immediately at any Lotto outlet.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/14460974/lotto-first-division-winners-for-palmerston-north-and-auckland/
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:13 pm »

Big Wednesday: Choose carefully, $23m is at stake

By JULIAN LEE - The New Zealand Herald | 5:30AM - Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Today's $23 million Big Wednesday draw is the fourth-largest prize in Lotto history. — Photo: Dean Purcell.
Today's $23 million Big Wednesday draw is the fourth-largest prize
in Lotto history. — Photo: Dean Purcell.

TODAY's $23 million Big Wednesday draw is the fourth-largest prize in Lotto history.

And while there is no secret way to guarantee hitting the jackpot, a mathematician says you can boost chances of not having to share any cash you do win.

Associate Professor of Statistics at the University of Auckland David Scott said: "There's no way of increasing your chances of winning but it's possible to increase your chances of getting more money and not having to share it."

"Avoid the numbers of 1 up to 30, where people choose their birthdays."

Professor Scott said that some mathematicians were working on more complex ways to pick the right numbers.

"There are more sophisticated approaches to picking numbers that other people don't choose because there are combinations people don't choose. It's actually quite hard to pick numbers that other people don't pick."

"You have to examine the patterns of what people pick and what pairs they pick and all that sort of thing."

The statistician said he was regularly approached by Lotto players when big prizes were up for grabs.

"There's always a discussion coming up to some sort of a jackpot and people get excited about it."

"I've had quite a few calls about it from time to time."

The biggest win in New Zealand was $36.9 million in 2009. It went to Masterton sisters Siobhan Logan and Fiona Wilton and two relatives.

More recently a Tuakau family destroyed their couch in excitement after they found out they had won $5.5 million in the Lotto Powerball on Saturday.

A spokeswoman for the family, who have decided to remain anonymous, said the couch caved in after a zealous "man hug" between two brothers in the family.

"The boys were a bit too boisterous for my sister's old couch — so it now has a few broken slats and a decided lean. However, my sister knows I am good for a new one," she joked.

The family collected their win yesterday in Wellington.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10831785
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:33 pm »

Big winner Trevor has family problems

It was a rags-to-riches fairytale that changed a family's
fortunes, but Herald on Sunday investigators show that
the former supermarket worker who scooped a $27-million
Lotto win is losing contact with those closest to him.

HERALD on SUNDAY | 5:30AM - Sunday, July 28, 2013

Trevor Cooper with his off-road buggy, one of the many vehicles he has bought since his big win. — Photo: Kellie Blizard.
Trevor Cooper with his off-road buggy, one of the many vehicles he
has bought since his big win. — Photo: Kellie Blizard.

TREVOR COOPER, the Countdown worker from Te Kauwhata who scored a colossal Lotto win in April last year, has not spoken to his closest family members for some months.

Cooper has put his $2.2 million Karaka mansion on the market and has already moved away from his parents to Waihi with his new wife, Sharie Marshall.

The 35-year-old bought the sprawling mansion a month after his win as well as a million-dollar property just around the corner for his parents, Kevin and Shirley Cooper.

In the most telling evidence of the family split, public records show properties bought just after the win — which were in the names of Trevor, his father Kevin and sister Sharon — have since been transferred into the names of just Trevor and wife Sharie.

Trevor Cooper appeared on national television shortly after his win with his parents and said his windfall would be used to benefit the whole family.

"My family has always been there for me," Trevor said in an early interview.

"My mum, my dad, my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece, my nephew. Now it's time to repay them for the times they have been there for me."

But within a year the close relationships seem to have broken down, though both the parents and his sister continue to live in the properties.

Estranged family members refused to comment and Trevor himself could not be contacted. But a source close to the Lotto winner said the family were distraught about the way things had turned out.

It is understood other friendships have also suffered.

Posts made on the Facebook page of the Te Kauwhata flatmate Trevor was living with when he won Powerball, Lisa Sampey, suggest she too is bitter.

A photo of Trevor and wife Sharie on their wedding day features, along with some vitriolic comments. In another section of her page, she writes about her experiences post the Lotto win: "It's nice to be shit on by a so-called friend."

At the time of the win, Trevor said although he wasn't in a relationship with his flatmate, he thought of her daughter as his own.

Since his win, Trevor has indulged his love of motorsport with a series of purchases, including American streetcars, sprint cars, offroad cars, a speedboat and numerous trips to the United States to race in prestigious events.

He has also bought at least five properties, including houses in Beachhaven, Pukekohe, the Karaka mansions and a 113ha dairy farm in Sharie's hometown of Waihi. It has been a multi-million dollar spending spree.

Sharie, who was engaged to Waihi local Michael Capper in July last year, married Trevor at the Karaka property in February, just two months after they announced their December engagement. His links with his family were strained then, and some members did not attend.

The four-bedroom and four-bathroom Karaka house went on the market on Friday and is listed with Harcourts.

Trevor spared no expense turning the purpose-built equestrian property into a motorsport lover's dream.

The real estate advert states the owners have "Gone South".

"Originally purpose-built for equine, this property has also housed a large array of motorsport vehicles in recent times, giving a new meaning to horse power," the blurb says.

Tenders close on the property, with a council valuation of $2,050,000, on September 12th.

Recent extensions to the property include an upper level master suite, integrated security system, a solar-heated in-ground swimming pool with retractable cover, summer house and sauna.

It is understood Trevor spent more than $800,000 upgrading the property, which also has six-car internal access garaging, and two barns.

Late last year Trevor and Sharie bought the dairy farm in Waihi. The secluded farm, set in native bush, included a three-bedroom house, stream, swimming hole and milking sheds and cattle.

Despite their wealth, the couple took out a loan this year through their company TR & SA Cooper to buy livestock from NZ Farmers Livestock.

Father Kevin is still listed as a director in that company in spite of the family issues.

The Herald on Sunday wanted to discuss the family troubles with Cooper, but earlier this year was asked by his legal firm, Rennie Cox, to make no contact with their client.

Partner Graeme Cox was emailed on Friday that the paper was working on a significant story, and told it would only be fair to Cooper to be able to put questions to him.

Cox did not respond to the request by late last night.

Winners advised to seek help from professionals

Winning a large amount of money is life-changing and comes with stress and expectation, says registered psychologist Sara Chatwin.

And it often changes family dynamics, she says.

"There can be certain expectations family members may have of the member who has come into the money," Chatwin says. "Nothing stays the same."

She stresses she knows nothing of Trevor Cooper's situation, but says she has counselled people who have become overwhelmed after winning big.

She advises them to stick to a routine and avoid making too many life changes at once.

"Get in touch with professionals who can give good advice and don't fall into the habit of playing games with people."

Who to tell — and when — should also be carefully considered and expert advice sought. "When people go public, anyone who receives a large amount of money has to be sure it is the right decision because they will come under scrutiny, there is social judgment and some people who want to get to know them have a motive," Chatwin says.

NZ Lotteries provides all big winners with the book This is not a Dream which offers emotional and financial advice.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10904339
Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:30 pm »

It's a shame about Trevor, I know both him and his father Kevin although I doubt I'll ever have any contact with them again. Trevor was a nice enough but never too bright and I was optimistic that he would handle the massive upheaval as long as he had his family around and took heed of advice.
It sounds as if his family are seeing his new partner a lot  more clearly than he is and don't like what they see.
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:35 am »

maybe someone's calling up payment on their bet?

But after betting John Campbell $26.5 million he would go to work the next day, he failed to show.

http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2689.0/msg,134032.html

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 12:27:04 pm »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/5430308/Aucklands-luckiest-Lotto-shops

Auckland's best
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:35 pm »

maybe someone's calling up payment on their bet?

http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2689.0/msg,134032.html

Roll Eyes

The local gangs had started leaning on him for "tax", it was expedient to disappear.
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2013, 03:06:30 pm »

Lotto pool swells to record levels

The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Monday, 16 September 2013

Filthy Loot!

LOTTO's combined prize pool is at its highest level, which is likely to spur a spending frenzy this week.

After several weeks of jackpots there is $47 million to be won, with Big Wednesday reaching $20m and Powerball $27m.

Lotto spokeswoman Emilia Mazur said the combined weekly prize pool was the largest on offer since the game was introduced 26 years ago.

Powerball prizemoney was at its third-highest level and if won this weekend it would equal the prize won by supermarket worker Trevor Cooper in April last year.

The largest single prize collected was $36.7m on Big Wednesday, won by a Masterton family syndicate in 2009.

"There have only ever been eight prizes of more than $20 million won. So whenever these jackpots get struck, they’ll make history," Ms Mazur said.

"People who don’t play Powerball or Big Wednesday regularly are understandably interested in and excited by these big jackpots, and people want to be in with a chance to win... so naturally we anticipate sales to be higher during large jackpot weeks."

Problem Gambling Foundation spokeswoman Andree Froude said while Lotto was not as bad as pokie machines, which were instantaneous and cited by 70 per cent of gamblers as their main addiction, it was still a "hook" for some people.

Big jackpots meant an increase in advertising spend and an increase in ticket sales, with a risk some people would prioritise tickets over essential items.

"If the money’s going on the tickets and not the food on the table then that’s problematic."

Lotto jackpots are capped at $30m, meaning if Powerball is not won this Saturday it must be struck the following week.

Statisticians say this as the best time to buy a ticket, as the minuscule odds are slightly improved as the prize will be split between second division winners if the first division goes unclaimed.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/9168500/Lotto-pool-swells-to-record-levels
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2013, 04:11:23 pm »

Lotto: Only five outlets sell winning tickets in both games

APNZ | 11:33AM - Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WITH A combined record prize pool of $47 million up for grabs across Big Wednesday and Lotto Powerball this week, Lotto officials have named the only five outlets to sell a winning ticket in both games.

Two stores in Auckland have sold tickets that won the top prize in both big jackpotting games — Pakuranga Lotto and Hayward's Paper Power in Devonport.

The other three are Kuripuni Lotto and Post in Masterton, Andrew Spence Pharmacy in Napier and Lotto New Zealand's online shop, MyLotto.co.nz.

Tonight's Big Wednesday jackpot stands at $20 million, the third highest ever seen in the game, and Saturday's Lotto Powerball draw stands at $27 million, also the third highest in this game's history.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11126493
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:08 pm »

So.....are you feeling lucky?

Are you going to become suddenly rich over the weekend?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: