Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:34:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The Rats (AKA: Marlin and Fred).

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rats (AKA: Marlin and Fred).  (Read 1211 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: June 13, 2009, 04:36:55 pm »

Ok ok.... I've fallen for him.
It has taken a while but he has me.
We had a trust issue. I brought him home from the pet shop and expected to play with him right away - but of course he wasn't used to us and kept on biting... he was scared.

Now - after a few more nips and getting to know each other - He's cool.

I'll post photos later - but he is SUCH a boy!!
Heaps of fun - and a GREAT first pet for my boy.

Rats ROCK!

Grin
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:28:50 pm by DazzaMc » Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:27 pm »

Good - Im glad you persevered, they are fun pets.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »

Lol... he's such a boy.

He has a racing track around the sofa - we sit down to watch movie and Marlin runs rings around and around... is funny.

He's not to sure of the dog yet but has bitten the dog's nose a few times - they will sort it out...

He is currently in my pocket - as happy as larry.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:15:31 pm »

Now I have to get another.... I've just learnt this afternoon that rats need friends of the rat kind...

So this coming week at some stage I shall be going and getting another....

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:54:58 pm »

About the only thing I know about rats is that my friends sons rat, Houdini used to pee on anyone who wore perfume. Grin   I was one of his pee -ees. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »

Lol.... good rat... good rat...
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 06:19:38 pm »

I wouldnt get another one.

Its like dogs - if you have one they think they are human, but often when you have more than one they sometimes revert to being dogs and loose the human traits  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »

I felt guilty  so we have another. It's best for the animal...

Hey - I used to have two Malamutes for the very same reasons... rats are easy compared!

Fred is cute - he's a little brown and black one. Marlin (who's about 6 months older) tried to eat him so they are seperated in cages right next to each other - they can smell but cant touch.

Will post pic's at some stage....

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »

Daz have you taken advice on having 2 male rats?

What do the pundits say?
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:25 pm »

I felt guilty  so we have another. It's best for the animal...

Hey - I used to have two Malamutes for the very same reasons... rats are easy compared!

Fred is cute - he's a little brown and black one. Marlin (who's about 6 months older) tried to eat him so they are seperated in cages right next to each other - they can smell but cant touch.

Will post pic's at some stage....

So did your Malamutes try to eat each other? I don't think it's a very good sign. Mind you - I have four dogs and one bitch here at the moment. Thank God she's the only one that jumps gates!
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 10:13:19 pm »

Rats wanting to eat each other is most definitely not a good sign. 
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:06:27 pm »

Yep - the Mal's tried eating each other first off, a few days after they first met we had all the next-door neighbours racing over to see what was going on...
Lots (heaps) of noise, the dogs standing on their hindquarters (almost 6ft tall) with teeth flashing everywhere - it was rather impressive.
Never any injury thou - they never actually hurt each other, it was all just show...

Just dogs been wolf's - it use to be entertaining!

I think the rats are doing the same thing.
Rats also have pecking orders just like dogs so I expect a little rough stuff for the first bit - and then probably every now and again as the little one grows up, it's just rats being rats.

I totally stuffed up - I dumped the new rat into the bigger rats turf...
The new rat (Fred) now has his own cage right next door - and Fred totally told Marlin off tonight on the sofa, he's not scared of the bigger rat at all!!

They will sort it out over time - but until they do they wont be going in any cage together, and when they do go together the cage needs to be totally cleaned out and rearranged so it's all new to both of them at the same time.

lol...I'm blown away with how clever they are - they are actually rather bright...  for a 'rodent'!

Oh - and yep - two male rat's is fine - so long one is younger than the other (helps settle the pecking order thing).

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:00:05 am »

Daz I think Fred is whats called a Fancy Rat - thats its type.
They only live about 2-3 years - ours died quite unexpectedly and when I spoke to the vet he said that you dont really notice their old age.  And males can have gi- normous ball sacs  Grin  quite ugly appendages.
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »

Did you know that Rats box?
As in - boxing/fighting? They also do karate kicks and wrestling! They are sooo funny to watch...

Marlin is mostly blind (albino) while Fred has slightly better sight - Fred waits for Marlin up on the back of the sofa and leaps off onto Marlin when he comes out from behind the cushions, they then proceed to slap each other around the face (while standing on two legs), kick each other and roll around the sofa wrestling until one of them has had enough... gee they are funny to watch! Whenever it gets too much for Fred he comes running up and sits on my shoulder and if he runs quick enough then it takes a while for Marlin to find him again. Marlin spent about 10 min looking for Fred last night, I never knew they could stay that focused!

Yer - Fred is Fancy Rat - here's a look alike;

Thanks for that lovely - I did know that.
 Smiley

Lol... 2-3 years suits me.... long enough but not tooooo long...
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »

I have another here for you Dazza . I was getting wood in for the night, and this HUGE rodent came from the middle of the wood pile. Yes I admit, I screamed like a girl (Ok.. yes ..I am a girl - an older one). When it heard the dogs bark (4 huntaways and 1 heading dog - ALL with their noses pressed to the screen door) it took off for parts unknown. Tomorrow when I get wood in - I'm taking the heading dog (he's damn fast on his feet) and my 'fixed' huntaway, he's got the heart of a lion, and he loves me more than all the others put together LOL. If they manage to catch it, I'll put it into a cage and it's yours Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:10 pm »

Yup and Im sure Futze would be happy to find you some common mice.  She calls them flying sparrows  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: