Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 04:09:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Helen Clark Eats Humble Pie

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helen Clark Eats Humble Pie  (Read 572 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:32:55 am »

Defamation case against Clark dropped
03-Feb 11:58

An Auckland doctor has dropped a defamation suit against former prime minister Helen Clark after she publicly acknowledged he did not break the law.

Former Auckland District Health Board member Tony Bierre launched the defamation suit last year after Miss Clark made comments in March questioning whether he had broken the law by misleading the DHB over a controversial laboratory contract.

Dr Bierre received an open letter from Miss Clark yesterday acknowledging he did not commit an offence.

"In my comments I noted that I would be seeking a briefing as to whether your breaches were offences. They were not, as I learned and accepted shortly afterwards, and continue to accept," Miss Clark said.

"I trust that this letter, which is open and public, will resolve your concerns."

In a statement through his lawyer, Dr Bierre said he would end defamation proceedings.

"This letter vindicates my position that I have never broken the law," he said.

Miss Clark's comments on March 26 followed the High Court at Auckland overturning the decision by Auckland, Waitemata and Counties-Manukau DHBs to reassign laboratory services from Diagnostic Medlab (DML) to Labtests Ltd.

Diagnostic Medlab claimed, and the High Court agreed, there was an improper use of insider information by Mr Bierre who at the time was the Labtests' boss.

The High Court also ruled the three Auckland DHBs did not consult widely enough.

But the Court of Appeal overturned the decision in September, saying the health boards did consult properly and Dr Bierre acted appropriately once his conflict of interest arose.

"Miss Clark's acknowledgement that I did not commit any offence provides me the opportunity to finally restore my reputation, and brings an end to a matter that has both jeopardised my professional career and inflicted significant emotional hardship on my family," Dr Bierre said.

"I am pleased that this matter has been resolved and I look forward to moving on."

http://www.3news.co.nz/Defamation-case-against-Clark-dropped/tabid/423/articleID/89538/cat/64/Default.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:17 am »

LOL humble pie - its more about being big enough to be able to say - I made a mistake.

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »

Or, "I cant be bothered any more, with suffering a court case which even if I win, will still cost me thousands."
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:31:37 pm »

Or, "I cant be bothered any more, with suffering a court case which even if I win, will still cost me thousands."

how was she ever going to win when she was wrong   Huh
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:12:05 pm »

But, was she wrong?

She certainly questioned whether Dr Bierre had broken the law, but that is not necessarily defamatory. It could well have been determined that it came under the heading of fair comment.

There is no guarantee Bierre would have won his case, why perhaps explains why he was so ready to drop it.
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:56 pm »

The only people who REALLY WIN from these sorts of cases (and line their pockets) are the LAWYERS!

So sometimes the best thing to do is to be pragmatic and withdraw (or apologise, or whatever) to simply make it go away and stop lining lawyers pockets, even if you think you could win the case.

It's no different to Trevor Mallard being pragmatic and pleading guilty to assaulting Tau Henare, even though the so-called victim wasn't the slightest bit interested in taking the matter any further and the prosecution was the result of a complainant [a Nats supporter] taking the action he did to divert attention from the fact that he (the Nats-supporting complainant) was facing criminal charges for ripping the NZ taxpayers off. Trevor Mallard would most likely have won that case an been found not guilty (it would be a brave Judge who would convict him when the victim was openly hostile to giving evidence and could conceivably have ended up being declared a hostile witness if forced into the witness box) but would have ended up paying a shitload of money to lawyers and any penalty likely to be dished out by the court would probably be only a fraction the cost of paying lawyers to carry on with a defence.
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:07 pm »

Clark, of course, hasn't apologised, there was nothing to apologise about. She has simply written a letter clarifying that her advice was Dr Bierre hadn't broken the law and that she accepts that.

Its hilarious the hold Clark still has over some people, She is no longer PM, not even Leader of the Opposition, just an Opposition spokesperson. Her political career is virtually over.

Yet every time they hear her name, characters like Newtown-Fella go all a twitter and wet themselves. Even now, they are still afraid of her!
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:34:00 pm »

and others come rushing out to defend her
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:36:51 pm »

i can see this thread going to the biffo room Grin
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
Alicat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:47:54 pm »

Yet every time they hear her name, characters like Newtown-Fella go all a twitter and wet themselves. Even now, they are still afraid of her!

Who on the board is afraid of Helen Clark?
Where has NF gone all a twitter and wet himself?
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »

Well, Ali, if you don't know by now where men wet themselves, then I don't think I ought to tell you.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:25 pm »

Well, Ali, if you don't know by now where men wet themselves, then I don't think I ought to tell you.

I repeat my question Magpie - Where has NF gone all a twitter and wet himself?
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »

Where has NF gone all a twitter and wet himself?

well i hate to upset you Magpie but the wettest ive been all day was around 6.15 this evening as i was showeruing and as for being in a twitter ive not been either .....

Alicat your question ...

I repeat my question Magpie - Where has NF gone all a twitter and wet himself?

will remain unanswered my Magpie

you see Ali Magpie has a problem relying to questions on account the stupid twit doesnt read anything that is posted apart from that posted by itself...

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:02:33 pm »

NF - I appreciated that I wouldn't get a straight answer. I had hoped - in vain - that a new start with this board MIGHT have meant a new leaf.
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:09:39 pm »

Okay, he wet himself a few inches below his waistline....

Geez, you two take yourself SO seriously, not a sense of humour to be found, lighten up ferchrissakes.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 07:26:27 pm »

Geez, you two take yourself SO seriously, not a sense of humour to be found, lighten up ferchrissakes.

Magpie, I think you find it particularly difficult to post responses to questions put your way without insult or inappropriate remarks. Were you to know me or speak with those who do, you'd find that I have a very acute sense of humour. I also have standards.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 07:41:03 pm »

Ah....the good ol' everybody wants to have the final say on the matter syndrome, aye?
Report Spam   Logged
enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »

as i said before............this has got to go into the biffo room Grin
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
Magpie

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:16 am »

Magpie, I think you find it particularly difficult to post responses to questions put your way without insult or inappropriate remarks. Were you to know me or speak with those who do, you'd find that I have a very acute sense of humour. I also have standards.

Well, Alicat, despite your sense of humour and your standards, you still seem capable of asking a silly question.

And when you do, guess what you get back in return......   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:11 pm »

Love the heading
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
obione

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 03:30:04 am »

but talking about Helen, where the hell is " ALFRED E. NEWMAN" gone? havent seen that twits
face nor heard from him at all since labour lost the election...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: