Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 11:54:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

'Unacceptable' grants for gang family forces Winz rethink

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Unacceptable' grants for gang family forces Winz rethink  (Read 268 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:35 am »

wonder if this is going to be followed up in the media ... ?

when i needed assistance years ago when a parent died to get to the funeral all i got was $200 in Petrol Vouchers and i told them i didnt have a car ....

'Unacceptable' grants for gang family forces Winz rethink

Work and Income has set up special arrangements to deal with a Christchurch gang family after findings its staff gave unacceptable grants in an apparent attempt to keep a "rapport" and "establish trust".

Work and Income reviewed its handling of the Harris family after it was revealed it paid towing and impoundment fees for Marcia Harris' 2007 Chrysler saloon, despite Ms Harris being caught driving unlawfully on a suspended licence.

Ms Harris is the wife of Darryl Harris - a former Road Knight and founder of the city's Harris Gang.

In 2007, Work and Income also paid about $230 a night for the family to stay at The Towers in Christchurch for 10 days after their house burned down.

A summary of the report released under the Official Information Act said both decisions were "unacceptable".

It said the case manager dealing with Ms Harris had gone outside usual policies in an attempt to "maintain a rapport" with her. As a result, there was a failure to question Ms Harris properly or consider alternatives.

Yesterday, Minister of Social Development Paula Bennett said the family had an "extensive history" with Work and Income.

"They have a well-publicised history of intimidation and violence which Work and Income has to consider when working with the family."

She said she had made it clear the decisions were "unacceptable".

"I've been assured all future Work and Income decisions regarding assistance to the Harris family will be examined thoroughly, and I will hold the ministry to this. It is simply unacceptable for anyone to receive assistance from the State that they are not entitled to."

She said Ms Harris' file had been handed to another staff member, who was instructed to consult others on decisions. The original case manager was to have no further involvement.

The regional commission and regional director would also oversee the management of all Ms Harris' immediate family members who were getting benefits.

Much of the report is deleted, but it reveals Ms Harris had also received other payments - to such an extent that the file was referred to the ministry's fraud unit "to ensure there was no implication of staff fraud or collusion to commit benefit fraud".

The fraud unit checks showed some decisions were outside Work and Income's policy guidelines, but no staff fraud was identified.

The national director was to brief regional directors on the report to ensure any other "exceptional" cases were handled properly.

In January Work and Income's deputy chief executive Patricia Reade said Ms Harris would be required to repay the money.

The Herald could not contact Ms Harris.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10577499

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:28:25 am »

wonder if this is going to be followed up in the media ... ?
Lets hope it is followed up by the media.   $230 a night at the Towers.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:30:31 am »

Ahh the Harris' again .. not surprised at all.

They would be the biggest gang family in the country.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:59:24 am »

It said the case manager dealing with Ms Harris had gone outside usual policies in an attempt to "maintain a rapport" with her.

This made me laugh, there is no way a client can build up any kind or rapport with a cse manager because they are always changing them and most of the time they fail to inform the client.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:25:12 pm »

Bloody hell I hope there is follow up on this.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
dragontamer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:18:39 pm »

Maintain a rapport either translates to 'was too shit scared to say no', or 'is a buddy'.  I tend to go with the first as that is the status quo with most of Hornby/ Islington/ Riccarton people who meet her. 

This is a family who will burn down your house if you piss them off.  Or worse. 

WINZ should have had a board to decide her entitlements right from the start.  Her and any other known gang member/ associate or head.  So the finger cannot be pointed at any one person and the onus doesn't fall on just one.  (You can bet all the other case managers would sigh with relief that she wasn't theirs.)

Simple truth is Marcia is crazy, probably from the drugs, but more than a little, from the power.  Practically everyone in this community knows it.  Practically everyone in this community has had to deal with at least a taste of it.  She (and the rest of them) should have been in prison years ago, with ever increasing sentences, but people are too damned scared to open their mouths so she (and the rest of them) carry on as they want until the next poor sucker has to deal with them.

Standing up to the Harris Brothers is scary.  It can be done, but you get bugger all support from anybody, just a case load of horror stories of who's dog they slaughtered, who's house they burned, who's car they ran into a power pole........
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:02 pm »

Ahh the Harris' again .. not surprised at all.

They would be the biggest gang family in the country.

There isn't that many of them...... just the crazy stuff that makes them bigger.  Darryl is the 'normal' looking one.  He is also the one with the most vicious reputation.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »

They originate in Taranaki DT.

Your Marcia has namesakes and many many cuzzies up here.

They have spread throughout the country - but its a name that even turns the cops grey up here.

I would say they are one of the largest whanau in NZ.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:33 pm »

The Harris' originate in Taranaki, or her side does?  Darryl's father was a circus/ gypsy fair/ carnival sideshow clown.  I forget his name (Rusty?). 

Fortunately for us they are slowly moving south.  Most of them are in Rolly now, but I live in hope..................
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »

I only know that they (the Harris whanau) are ginormous.
I imagine every tribe now has an attachment to them  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 11:04:27 pm »

I forget his name (Rusty?). 

Chuckles.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
dragontamer
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 11:12:00 pm »

Cheesy **giggles**

Yeah - but I wouldn't call him that at the local fish and chip shop.  I nearlly got caught one day when I asked my son 'Who's that clown' - meaning son's friend.  I got a very peculiar look let me tell you.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: