Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 09:57:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Ok - My turn...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok - My turn...  (Read 939 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: June 05, 2009, 10:11:05 am »

My main machine - it boots up, sometimes it gets as far as loading the OS and other times it dies before then. If I leave it for a while and then come back to it will run for longer - but otherwise it just dies like a power failure. It's like someone pulls the power out of the wall...

Has anyone ever had this before?
I suspect it's hardware (over heating) - but no alarms go off before shutdown...
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:29 am »

Is ok - found it.

The CPU fan died.

Off to DSE to grab another - or scavenge one out of an old machine.

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:35:15 am »

LOL Dick Smiths?Huh  Holy hell --- why dont you look at price spy for pricings in your area!!!

I use DSE to find out what NOT to pay!!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:41 am »

At $5 a pop I cant be bothered - DSE is just down the road...

I'll probably have one in an old 'parts' machine here - I'll go for a dig soon...  or I may not bother and just have the day off instead. Sounds like a good excuse to take the day off....

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:39:00 am »

Stuff it - A day in front of the fire watching movies.... that idea has won me over...

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 04:35:13 pm »

I'm BACK!!

A water cooled heatsink and a super sucky fan was all which was needed.

Now I just have to get comfy with water flowing around inside my machine!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 04:36:13 pm »

Oh - and $168 later... lol...

More than a bloody oil change on the truck!!

Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:05:40 pm »

least it wasnt the power supply ^^
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:27:01 pm »

Keep your computer cool

Over-heating can mean disaster for your PC. Here's how to avoid it.

Most computers run hot because heat is a by-product of all the activity that turns 1s and 0s into something we can actually use.

The faster computers get - and the more performance we try to wring out of them - the more heat is generated. If you have seen inside a computer, you might have noticed a large heat-sink and fan assembly.

This is usually clamped down tightly on to a postage-stamp-sized piece of hardware called a central processing unit (CPU). It is responsible for doing much of the leg work in arranging seemingly random bits of data into documents, pictures and music.

If you were to cut a CPU in half (and I do not recommend doing this, unless, of course, it is someone else's) you would not see much, but if you looked at it under a microscope, you would find a wafer- thin piece of silicon on which is etched millions of transistors and other electronic jiggery-pokery.

Coming from the wafer are hundreds of incredibly fine wires that connect to external pins that ultimately transfer power and information in and out of the processor.

The CPU is not a single entity; the wafer contains a multitude of interconnected and correlated systems, like the Control Unit, Arithmetic and Logic Unit, Program Counter and other stuff.

Needless to say, they are very complex things and a lot is going on at any given time. It is a miracle they work at all, but they do, and are so reliable that in my many years in the industry I have only seen a handful that have failed; most, I suspect, as the result of someone's attempts at over-clocking - that black art of pushing hardware faster than it was intended to be pushed.

Even without over-clocking, CPUs get warm and, in some cases, extremely warm.

Two of the major CPU makers are Intel and AMD. Their processors, while similar, differ in construction and operation. To overcome the heat problem, Intel designed its processors to automatically reduce their "clock" speed.

If the fan stops altogether, the CPU will throttle itself back and you will soon notice something is awry because your machine takes 20 minutes to do anything.

AMD, whose processors run significantly hotter than their Intel versions, use a different system. If the fan stops on your AMD machine, a series of encoded smoke signals will alert you that your computer is on fire and should be shut down before you call 111 and evacuate the building.

These processors can run extremely hot - I have seen a processor and socket melted out of a motherboard - which is why it is vital fans and associated cooling systems on an AMD CPU-based machine are in top working order.

Do not, however, think this is a reason not to buy one. AMD processors are excellent and provide exceptional bang for buck - as long as they are kept cool.

Desktops usually have a power supply fan and a CPU fan. They may also have a case fan and an auxiliary fan. These fans usually keep things cool. To test, hold your hand near the fan outlets; the air should feel warm, but not fan-heater hot. If in doubt, get it checked.

Laptops are different, often compromising cooling with weight, battery life, fan size, small air channels and heat sinking. They have to keep everything cool while using as little space and battery power as possible. This often results in cooling systems that are barely adequate - dust build-up or a fan slowdown and problems begin.

A little home maintenance is in order. Even if your house is spotless, the inside of your computer probably will not be. Gently blow out accessible ports and air ducts with low-pressure air and use a soft brush to clear external air ducts. Avoid using vacuum cleaners, as they create static electricity which is instant death to computer hardware.

Do not use laptops on uneven surfaces (like beds); air intakes and outlets are often located on the bottom and these are easily blocked.

In general, do not cover air holes in any computer case - they are needed for cooling.

If you remove the CPU heat sink, it is vital you replace the thermal paste between it and the processor before putting it back together.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/2484408/Keep-your-computer-cool

Two of the major CPU makers are Intel and AMD. Their processors, while similar, differ in construction and operation. To overcome the heat problem, Intel designed its processors to automatically reduce their "clock" speed.

If the fan stops altogether, the CPU will throttle itself back and you will soon notice something is awry because your machine takes 20 minutes to do anything.

AMD, whose processors run significantly hotter than their Intel versions, use a different system. If the fan stops on your AMD machine, a series of encoded smoke signals will alert you that your computer is on fire and should be shut down before you call 111 and evacuate the building.

PMSL!!!  Well done!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: