Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 06:25:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

WHAT ARE YOU READING?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT ARE YOU READING?  (Read 4035 times)
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:06:42 am »

I love the Twilight saga so much I finished all four books in six days. I couldn't put them down. I have now read ther series 4 times and have started them again....and watched the movie ohhhh about 25 times and can't wait for New Moon.
I have The Host and haven't been able to get into it. If a book doesn't grab me in the first page, I tend to not bother.
I enjoy reading Karin Slaughter, Kathy Reichs and James Patterson. Their characters are brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody
Magoo
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:40 am »

I have two on the go... both Alice Sebold.   Lucky and The Lovely Bones.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:59 pm »

Ive just got my 5th copy of Women who Run with the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes.

I keep getting part way through it and then meeting a woman who clasps it to her chest and claims 'this looks great - I NEED something like this' so I hand it on.

This one I intend finishing - though I bought it with one of the daughter and her daughter in mind.  So I guess I wont be finishing it this time either.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 11:10:09 pm »

I've been really lax about reading lately. I seem to spend more time on the computer. I am a third of the way through The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet.
So far it's really great, but I find if I read for more than an hour I just get really tired and can't concentrate, and 10 minutes after that I'm damn near asleep
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
dragontamer
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:54 pm »

As I am under strict orders by GP to slow down, I got the new Stephen King book.... Under the Dome.  Trade size is 877 very thin pages.  You have to keep checking how many you have turned else you skip. 

The story is flowing quite nicely.  There's an awful lot of characters to remember, but bless him, he's put a glossary at the front so you can look them up if you forget who is who.

I'm up to page 300 since Thursday night.  I haven't slowed down quite as much as I probably should have but - meh - I blame the doc.  He not only added antibiotics to my list of pill popping, he added prednisone (I sprung a leak and can now add asthma and bronchitis to the stomach ulcer and hives) and prednisone makes me hyper I think.

2010 had better be a vast improvement on this year I can tell you!
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 08:04:23 am »

2010 had better be a vast improvement on this year I can tell you!

I was relating an experience to someone I had in the Owaka cemetery a couple of years ago and it was likened by a friend to this book with no unhappy instances to this point in time.  Grin         Susan Hill's The Woman in Black.         A good little ghost story.  6/10
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »

The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
Book 1: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Book 2: The Girl who Played with Fire
Book 3: The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest.

Unfortunately we will not see any more work from Stieg Larsson as he died in 2004 shortly after delivering the manuscripts of these three books to his publisher.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
guest49
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 12:08:45 pm »

Amongst others [I often have 4 books on the go at the same time] I am reading Stephen Kings saga, "The Dark Tower."  I think he is up to volume 6 or 8 now, but I am only up to volume 3, with Vol. 4 waiting in the wings here.
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 08:14:04 am »

I am ploughing my way through the latest Diana Gabalden book, An Echo in the Bone. I'm about halfway at the moment but it's a slow job because I keep falling asleep when I start reading it.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 03:08:05 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Ferney

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

A couple of weeks ago I was given Kate Atkinsons latest book 'Started Early, Took my Dog"   I read the first few pages then daydream because once I get into it, I won't be able to put it down and I don't want to get to the end....because I'll have to wait a year or two for her to write her next book.  Weird I know. 

Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:28 am »

I'm halfway through Breaking Dawn (last book in the Twilight saga), don't want to finish it too soon yet I have difficulty putting it down. I resisted reading any of them at first (because I don't like vampire stories as a rule) but am glad I gave in, have thoroughly enjoyed every one.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 01:17:52 am »

Right at this moment I'm reading a couple of NZ military books as am doing up Photos for a display in the local towns heritage house that is run by the local Historical society of which I'm a member, also reading a couple of books on leather working and one on black powder firearm maintance.
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:34 pm »

I borrowed The Hunger Games off Sp1 at 5pm and finished it at 10:30pm with time off to eat dinner.

Sp1 managed to read it in a single day barely stopping for meals.

A real page turner that is for sure. 5½ hours is a record for me.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:01 am »

The Secret Life of Bees.    Finding it a bit dull at this point.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2013, 12:34:58 pm »

http://michaelhendersonstheliteraryman.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/book-review-misremembered-man-by.html

Not sure how I feel about this one.  1/3 of the way through and very disturbing in parts.
Report Spam   Logged
BorisSanobabitz

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 02:53:42 pm »

Zaregoto - The Kubikiri Cycle

I really love this book soooooooo much
Report Spam   Logged

NEET or neet is a young person who is "Not in Education, Employment, or Training".

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: