Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:38:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

If You Could Travel To Mars, Would You Go?

Poll
Question: If You Could Travel To Mars, Would You Go?
Hell Yes - when do we leave?!! - 4 (57.1%)
Maybe - if I was paid enough. - 0 (0%)
Nar - the risk isn't worth it. - 1 (14.3%)
No thanks - I'm not at all interested. - 2 (28.6%)
Undecided. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Travel To Mars, Would You Go?  (Read 291 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: May 30, 2009, 08:21:16 am »

On May 30, 2009, the John P. McGovern Museum of Health and Medical Science, also called The Health Museum, will launch the U.S. premiere of Facing Mars. The exhibit features interactive stations that encourage visitors to "walk on Mars," test and launch rockets, "fly over" the Martian landscape and consider the implications humans face in their quest to reach the Red Planet. Facing Mars will be on display through September 7.

This innovative exhibit focuses on the real challenges of sending human explorers to Mars. With more than 28 experiences, Facing Mars combines a range of hands-on experiences with compelling artifacts, such as a rare Mars meteorite from West Africa and stunning imagery to engage participants in the physical, psychological and scientific challenges involved in journeying to Mars.

"How many of us have wondered what it would be like to travel in space? Facing Mars gives our visitors the opportunity to explore the many challenges that confront us when we set out to travel to another planet," said Jon Iszard, President and CEO of The Health Museum.

Facing Mars addresses questions such as: "What happens to your face in space?", "How can you protect astronauts from cosmic rays and solar radiation?" and "Who would you choose for a Mars crew?" Visitors become a rocket scientist for the day and explore the challenges of aerodynamic stability.

They experience what it is like "to walk on Mars" at a station that subtracts 60 percent of their weight to simulate Martian gravity. Visitors also explore some of the potential psychological and emotional stresses that astronauts may face on their journey, examining how contagious emotions can be and discovering where their own personal space threshold lies.

"The passion and curiosity of the engineers and scientists who contributed to Facing Mars, including many who are a part of NASA and the Johnson Space Center, give a tremendous boost to this exhibit. Learning about the attempts to understand both Mars and the challenges that long duration space flights represent is truly fascinating, and really adds to the experience of the exhibit," said Phil Lindsey, Vice President of Exhibits and Business Development at The Health Museum.

Visitors will take the spotlight in this monochromatic environment, reflecting the fact that the greatest challenges in the journey to Mars are human ones. Through the creative use of lighting and sensory cues, visitors will place themselves in the roles of astronauts confronting the various challenges of exploring Mars.

When visitors arrive at the exhibit's entrance they will be asked the seemingly simple question "Would You Go To Mars?" and their responses will be digitally counted as they enter through a YES or NO gate. At the exhibit's exit, the question is repeated: "Would You Still Go to Mars?" - this time eliciting from visitors a more reflective answer.

In challenging visitors to bring their own perspectives to the human toll of long space voyages as well as engaging them in the complex engineering and science involved, Facing Mars will take visitors on an inspiring personal, practical and philosophical voyage of discovery.

Facing Mars was developed by the Ontario Science Center and is sponsored locally by Southwest Airlines.

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/If_You_Could_Travel_To_Mars_Would_You_Go_999.html
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 09:45:46 am »

Shocked I barely cope with camping. That's taking 'roughing it' to whole new levels and I'm waaaaaaaay too attached to my creature comforts.  You go for me.  Take lots of photo's.  I feint interest.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:18:14 am »

I love camping - and I couldn't think of a better place to go!

Although I'd probably get there and then get itchy feet and want to go further....

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:46:58 am »

What do I need to pack?

Could get about on my Mars buggy!!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 10:55:02 am by donquixotenz » Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 12:41:36 pm »

That would be absolutely perfect!

Can you get me one too?!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:02:11 am »

I would prefer not to go to Mars thank you. The moon is my destination of choice.
Report Spam   Logged
pantherrr0
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:22:54 am »

think it would be awesome  to help with the terraforming effort
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: