Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 04:05:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

A house without books is like a room without windows

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A house without books is like a room without windows  (Read 1278 times)
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« on: February 02, 2009, 05:29:01 pm »

A house without books is like a room without windows
 (Heinrich Mann)

Who else checks out the books on people's bookshelves.?
you can tell so much about a peron by looking at their books.

Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:53:30 pm »

ALWAYS!!!!

Mind u I dont have a bookshelf here. Im the only one who reads.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:15 pm »

I only keep really favourite books at home now. Novels go back to our shop. Reference books stay. 
I tend to have piles of books .
At work I have a pile that I might take home to read.
At home I have a pile waiting to be read
PLUS
 A pile that I must pick up and take back to work

A pile downstairs that I pick up and read bits of at a time ( like when I go outside for a smoke, when ads are on tv, when my computer is running a scan.... I can have several of these on the go at a time.
My main bookcase in the lounge has ( runs to count them)  about 110 books.This includes a few favourites like Louis De Bernieres and Paulo Coelho and Lee Carroll
Mr B keeps trying to dump other stuff on my shelves  grrrrrrr
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 07:19:36 pm »

I've got so many bloody books at my place that it has got totally out of hand.

I don't tend to keep fiction, once I have read them, they get passed onto other people (sometimes I even deposit them into a carriage of one of the trains I drive).

However, I keep non-fiction books and that is the hoardes of them I have got everywhere in my home. I've got two massive rimu bookcases (they are HUGE) and both are chocka with books. Then I've got more books stashed in every nook and cranny around the place. Plus heaps more stored in boxes (some of them in the shed). When I eventually kark it, someone is going to have a field day sorting through my vast library of books (and that doesn't even start to count the massive collection of DVDs and CDs).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:29:08 am by Kiwithrottlejockey » Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:48:47 pm »

I sometimes get calls from families who have a deceased estate to get sort out. It is amazing how many books that some people can collect.
The worst thing about being in the 2nd hand book business is the number of people trying to sell their books because they need the money ( this is becoming a huge problem for us ). Unfortunately, most times their books aren't worth anything and we don't want them.
Report Spam   Logged

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »

Authenticated as far as possibe, Hard copy is best way to ensure facts as of when, and where, is live recorded as data gets lost if a emp producing event occurs.
and encourage the forward to the classics. dickens. lorna doon Kidnapped. little women . joan of arc. florence nightingale. cervantes, and tall tale and true from the legendary past.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:01:36 am »

I just never seem to have enough bookcases
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »

When I was encouraging my son to leave home and go flatting he came and asked us if he could take all the furniture in his room with him...We said YES. next day I came home from work and he had moved 2 of my bookcases into his room. LOL   
Report Spam   Logged

sparkels

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:20:11 pm »

I always want to look at other peoples books too.  Its my very first urge even before I take my shoes off.

Your so lucky to have a book shop Brownie, I really envy you because it's something I've always wanted to do business-wise.  I imagine some people getting desperate enough to need to sell their books just to pay for food and that's not a very pretty image.

I buy books by the carton, a bit hit and miss, but sometimes I get a real treasure.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Don't worry, be happy.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 04:19:23 pm »

I imagine some people getting desperate enough to need to sell their books just to pay for food and that's not a very pretty image.

They do Sparkelz and most of the time we can't buy them . Although a lot of time it is someone wanting to sell books to feed the pokies or for booze. I love the bookshop, walking in each morning is a buzz, how many people can say that about their job?

And of course tthere are the little BOOKERS   .....   more on them later
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: