Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 01:10:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

RELIGION

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RELIGION  (Read 6540 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:16:36 pm »

WARNING: This is a work of fiction. Do NOT take it literally. CONTENT ADVISORY: Contains verses descriptive or advocating suicide, incest, bestiality, sadomascism, sexual activity in a violent context, murder, morbid violence, use of drugs or alcohol, homosexuality, voyeurism, revenge, undermining of authority figures, lawlessness, and human rights violations and atrocities. EXPOSURE WARNING: See the front cover of the Holy Bible to read these additional warnings.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 12:56:43 pm »

That book is responsable for more human deaths than anything else humans have so far invented.
 Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »

RELIGION SUX!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Biggles
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:30:57 am »

Dazza, Kiwith,
                    On this we are in irrevocable agreement.
                    The Quran and the Torah could legitimately be included as well.

Biggles, Prime
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:56:36 am »

that book has been responsible for more wars than anything else man has done to his fellow man

not bad for a fairytale  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:37 pm »

God not dead but religion dying

NZPA | Thursday, 02 April 2009

There has been a sharp rise in the number of New Zealanders with no religious affiliation, new research shows.

In a study of 1000 people by Massey University, 40 percent said they had no religious affiliation compared to 29 percent 17 years ago.

Just over a third of New Zealanders described themselves as religious.

Fifty-three percent said they believed in God (although half of those said they had doubts), 20 percent believed in some form of higher power and about third said they didn't believe or didn't know.

However, 60 percent said they would prefer children to have religious education in state primary schools, with strongest support for teaching about all faiths.

Professor Philip Gendall, who led the Department of Communication, Journalism and Marketing research team, said the view that New Zealand was a very secular country was supported by the relatively low levels of active involvement in religion.

"The survey shows that God is not dead, but religion may be dying," he said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2310358
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:06:22 am »

It is also more responcable for acts of mercy and peace negotiations than any other book in history.

Ever think of that.

This thread would be a very poor shit fight if us Christians kept our mouths shut wouldn't it.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:35 am »

I have got one of those books and I have never seen it move off the shelf and hurt anyone.   I think it has more to do with fanatical idiots myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:27 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:22:03 am »

Shroud of Turin Secretly Hid by Templars

The Knights Templar secretly guarded the Shroud of Turin -- an ancient linen cloth believed by many to be the burial shroud of Jesus -- for more than 100 years, according to the Vatican's in-house newspaper.

Writing in L'Osservatore Romano, Barbara Frale, a scholar at the Vatican Secret Archives, said new archival documents reveal "missing clues" to the fate of the Shroud between 1204 A.D. and 1351, a period during which it cannot otherwise be accounted for.

"These unpublished documents appear to solve the puzzle of the shroud's missing years from a purely historic angle," Frale told Discovery News. "Indeed, a linen cloth extremely similar to the shroud of Turin is clearly described in those records."

Believers contend that the shroud, now kept in a silver casket in Turin's Cathedral, is the "cloth with an image on it" reported by the early Christian historian Eusebius to have been given to the Christian King Abgar V of Edessa in 30 A.D.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/06/turin-shroud-templars.html

Ive always reserved my opinion of whether the Knights Templar actually existed.  Thank goodness thats been sorted out now - I can sleep again!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »

Hospital removes crosses from chapel

CRUCIFIXES, Bibles and all other Christian symbols have been banned from a hospital's chapel when it is not being used for a church service.

The Mosman Daily has learnt that Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney has bes been ordered to remove Christian content by New South Wales bureaucrats to avoid offending Muslims, Hindus or other non-Christian believers who may want to pray in the chapel.

Hospital staff say that while the chapel was built for Christians, they now want the chapel to be completely non-denominational.

An inspection of the chapel last week by the Daily found no trace of a crucifix or any other religious symbol inside the chapel.

The Daily has been told that church leaders must bring their own symbols to use in a service.

The chapel building also contains a separate Muslim prayer room.

Mosman Mayor Dom Lopez, a devout Catholic, said he was “outraged” to discover the rule when he was recently undergoing treatment at the hospital for bowel cancer.

“When I was first told it I didn’t believe it,” Cr Lopez said.

“When I was recovering, the Catholic priest came to see me and said, ‘It is true all the crosses are gone, somebody said we have to be a non-denomination church’.

“That’s just not right, it was built as a Christian chapel, now they (church leaders) have all to take all those things with them.”

North Shore Liberal MP and Opposition health spokeswoman Jillian Skinner said the decision was “bureaucratic madness”.

“It’s crazy, absolutely crazy,” she said.

“I bet there was no pressure from the Muslim community, the Jews or anyone - it’s just silly bureaucrats.”

To read more go to The Mosman Daily

http://tools.cairns.com.au//feeds/feed-story.php?news_id=20938915
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:17 pm »

‘Fat Jesus’ competition evokes church's wrath

NZPA | Tuesday, 07 April 2009

Some church leaders have reacted with outrage to a radio competition which encourages Auckland listeners to find "fat Jesus".

The Catholic and Anglican Churches in Auckland sent a letter of protest to The Edge radio station in response to the station's Good Friday competition which offers listeners $50 cash if they can find an actor in the city dressed up as Jesus.

Catholic Church in Auckland media consultant Lyndsay Freer said the man was depicted as a Jesus look-alike, who the station referred to as "Fat Jesus of Suburbia", holding a banner saying "Jesus is a Boobies man".

A website image showed a picture of the lookalike caressing a woman's breasts and with arms outstretched in a cruciform position imitating Jesus on the cross.

"Your depiction of Jesus is both crass and offensive to all of us," the letter to the station read.

"This has nothing to do with whether or not we have a sense of humour. It's about people's deepest and most sensitive feelings.

"If you have any regard or respect for your listeners, we ask you in the strongest possible terms to terminate this promotion immediately," Bishop Patrick Dunn of the Catholic Diocese of Auckland and Reverend Ross Bay, the Vicar General of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland, wrote in the letter.

However, the station's programme director, Leon Wratt, said the competition was a bit of fun to remind people where the Good Friday holiday came from.

In regards to the website image, Mr Wratt said it would only be offensive if you believed he was Jesus.

"But if he's just a guy pretending to be Jesus then I don't think it's highly offensive."

Mr Wratt said he believed the point the churches were reacting to was the "fat" aspect.

"In all honesty, I would say that the church didn't actually hear it therefore they probably got the facts wrong a little bit," he said.

"The only reason why we've called him fat is cause he is — so people can spot him."

Mr Wratt said in a previous year the station had run a competition where participants dragged a wooden cross from Hamilton to Bethlehem, near Tauranga, and the church had applauded the concept.

"They thought that was awesome because we were raising the awareness, and in all honesty I thought they'd almost think the same thing about this," Mr Wratt said.

"We're taking it seriously, but we had a lot of people ringing up today that said ‘look, we're Christians, and we found that very, very funny’, but there will always be people who are going to complain."

He said Jesus would be out again tomorrow for the last day of the competition.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2321495/Fat-Jesus-competition-evokes-churchs-wrath
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 10:30:49 pm »

http://www.jesusdressup.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 09:08:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:41 pm »

Exclusive fundy nutcases build new school at Blenheim....

Brethren build bigger school

By JO GILBERT - The Marlborough Express | 1:49PM - Thursday, 28 May 2009

Blenheim's new $1.5 million private Exclusive Brethren school on Taylor Pass Rd is expected to be open for the 2010 school year.

Westmount School Marlborough Campus trustee Terry Faulkner said in an email the privately funded school would accommodate about 50 Brethren students from years 3 to 13.

The children attend State schools for their first two years of education, he said.

"The staff and students are looking forward to the use of this new facility which will provide more space and create a better quality atmosphere for learning."

An Education Review Office report from January 2008 said the decile eight school's current Middle Renwick Rd campus was "adequate" and showed innovative use of a restricted site.

GJGardner Homes began constructing the new school in February and is expecting to complete the project by the end of the year, Mr Faulkner said.

The new school is 8900 square metres, more than double the size of its current 3300sqm site.

Mr Faulkner said the new single-storey campus will have a school hall, library, canteen, and science, technology and administration areas, as well as a 75 metre by 40m playing field.

The school will be headed by the campus co-ordinator/principal of the current school, Karen Lewes.

A large building on the same two hectare block of land as the school was also being erected by the Exclusive Brethren, but Mr Faulkner would not give details about the building other than saying it was "church-like".

Westmount is the name of every Exclusive Brethren school worldwide.

Schools were established around the country, including in Blenheim, in 2004.

Exclusive Brethren are Christians who keep themselves separate from other people as they believe "exclusiveness" is the only way to keep away from what is evil and corrupt in the world.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/2452229/Brethren-build-bigger-school
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 07:12:37 pm »

Religions owe their success to suffering martyrs

WHAT is the difference between Jesus Christ and Superman? The content of religions and popular tales is often similar, but only religions have martyrs, according to an analysis of behavioural evolution published this week.

When religious leaders make costly sacrifices for their beliefs, the argument goes, these acts add credibility to their professions of faith and help their beliefs to spread. If, on the other hand, no one is willing to make a significant sacrifice for a belief then observers - even young children - quickly pick up on this and withhold their own commitment. "Nobody takes a day off to worship Superman or gives money to the Superman Foundation," points out Joseph Henrich, an evolutionary anthropologist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.

The more costly the behaviour, the more likely it is to be sincere: few would willingly give their life for an ideal they did not believe in, and devotees who take vows of poverty or chastity are clearly putting their money where their mouth is. Such credibility-enhancing displays are even more effective if performed by a high-status individual such as a priest or other leader, says Henrich.

Once people believe, they are more likely to perform similar displays themselves. Henrich created a mathematical model to test his ideas and showed that this self-reinforcing loop can stabilise a system of beliefs and actions, and help them persist through many generations (Evolution and Human Behavior, DOI: 10.1016/j.evolhumbehav.2009.03.005).

This dynamic helps explain why so many religions involve costly renunciations. For example, Henrich notes that the persecution of early Christians by Roman authorities may have spread Christian beliefs by allowing believers to be martyred for their faith - the ultimate credibility-enhancing display.

The principle applies to other social movements too. Studies of 19th-century utopian communes such as Hutterites and Shakers show that those making the strictest demands on their followers were most likely to persist, says Henrich. "You can see the changes in action. The number of those costly commitment rituals increases over time."

Henrich's analysis fills an important hole in our understanding of the rise of religions, says Richard Sosis, an anthropologist at the University of Connecticut in Storrs.

The hypothesis still needs to be tested, for example with lab experiments on belief transmission, and historical studies of religions. But if Henrich is right, churches that liberalise their behavioural codes may be sabotaging themselves by reducing their followers' commitment. This may explain why strict evangelical Christian churches are expanding in the US at the expense of mainstream denominations. "To be a member you've got to walk the walk and talk the talk," says Henrich. "And this transmits deeper faith to the children."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227103.800-religions-owe-their-success-to-suffering-martyrs.html
Report Spam   Logged

inky
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 09:06:22 pm »

I quite agree with Magoo, my wife & I bought one of those books

for our baby daughter when she was born. It has'nt been touch'd

in the 26 year's of her life, or maybe 25& a half

I agree with other people to. since the begining of religion,more

people have died through war or battle, because of that bloody

book, than any other wars in 2000 years.

I have got one of those books and I have never seen it move off the shelf and hurt anyone.   I think it has more to do with fanatical idiots myself.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:50 pm »

Anyone see TVONEs SUNDAY programme last night?

They had a nice little bit on Religion.
5 year old kids been branded as witches and basically tortured, beaten and traumatized while their OWN PARENTS watched on and encouraged it.
They had all just been brainwashed - the whole country! Fucken unbelievable. Even the govt officials supported it - all because of "Belief".

One 5 year old was a witch because she stole a carrot which she ate so she could fly in the sky at night and drink her sisters blood... that's what her mother said!!

And all in the name of Jesus, God and all that crap...

The funny thing is (as if there could be anything funny about this) - the The Church, Jesus and the whole christian religion thing has a very long history of such acts in it's past as well, the words "Witch Hunts" should be ringing serious bells in the historical department of any church goer - more than once. Also, take a look at all the more recent child abuse cases been uncovered in so called 'modern' countries (even nz) and you really have to start wondering just what it is these religions types are supporting. Do they even know?

God = Good
Religion = Bad

Lol... I spent around 2 hours debating/talking with one of MsMc's friends husband - he's a preacher at some church somewhere.
I said something about having being dead for 4.55 billion years before I was alive... that statement seemed to throw a spanner in the works for him and I cant nut out how...
We solve all of the problems of all of the Universes when we get together - is fun.

Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 12:13:54 am »

the centre of the universe, earth has only be around for a few thousand years, god said so ^^ just as 'he' said that the earth is flat. you best not be badmouthing my god or ill be required to stone you to death!

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:22:41 am »

you best not be badmouthing my god or ill be required to stone you to death!
 Wink

.... in the name of god.

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 10:08:16 am »

There i was cruising the web looking for a reasonable person with some nous who could debate religion when i came across this thread. I quickly decided the commentators here are cheap-shot taking wigglers whose intellect is less than that of a snail. Best be off to find someone who can think for herself.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:01 am »

pmsl.... you cant debate religion Gom - you take it far to personally....

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:55 am »

Here's a good board for you Gom...

Science, Space & Technology

Report Spam   Logged

Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 10:30:42 am »

I was thinking of taking up space research to find heaven.
Any ideas about where to start?
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 10:33:30 am »

The third universe over on the left......
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: