Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 09:04:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Meanwhile, in Jesusland....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Jesusland....  (Read 12176 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:28 pm »

US controller joked about cooking cat

Associated Press | 12:20PM - Thursday, 20 August 2009

An air traffic controller was joking on the telephone about barbecuing a dead cat moments before a small plane collided with a tour helicopter, killing its New Zealand pilot Jeremy Clarke and eight others.

Transcripts obtained by The Associated Press show the controller at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey was talking to someone who works at the airport's operations centre at the time of the August 8 accident even while he was guiding the single-engine Piper and other aircraft.

"We got plenty of gas in the grill?" the controller asked. "Fire up the cat."

Seconds before the accident, the controller uttered a curse word and ended the call.

A family from Pennsylvania in the small plane and five Italian tourists in the helicopter were killed in the crash.

The body of Mr Clarke, 33, arrived in Auckland yesterday morning.

A contingent of 20 family members, including his fiance Danielle Granahan, arrived in New Zealand with Mr Clarke's body, while investigations continue into how the crash happened.

Mr Clarke's funeral will be held at Schnapper Rock Cemetery, Albany, on Saturday afternoon.

He and Ms Granahan had planned to get married next year.

He had lived in the United States since 2000 and recently became a citizen, the Associated Press reported.

The couple planned to move to Arizona and Mr Clarke recently went househunting in Phoenix.

Mr Clarke had worked for New York helicopter company Liberty Tours for 18 months, and previously worked as a pilot and instructor for Los Angeles Helicopters from 2005 to 2007.

Excerpts from a draft US government transcript of conversations between the control tower of the Teterboro, New Jersey, airport and the pilot of a plane that collided with a helicopter over the Hudson River on August 08, killing nine people including five Italian tourists and the New Zealand pilot Jeremy Clarke:

11:48:46 a.m., the Teterboro controller contacts a helicopter in the area to report that a plane is taking off and "will be turning to the southeast, join the river, climbing to 1100 (feet)." The controller asks the Piper, tail number N71MC, to report its altitude.

11:50:05 a.m., Piper pilot: "Climbing out of four hundred."

Teterboro controller: "Traffic 11 o'clock and two miles , northwest bound one thousand (feet), a helicopter."

Piper pilot: "Seven one mike charlie, lookin'."

At that point, the helicopter pilot reports the Piper is in sight, and the Teterboro controller tells the Piper, "helicopter has you in sight."

Piper pilot: "Thank you, sir."

11:50:41 a.m., the Teterboro controller gets on the phone with a woman from the airport's operations center. "Do we have plenty of gas for the grill?" he asks.

Operations: "Huh?"

Controller: "I said, we got plenty of gas in the grill?"

Operations: "(unintelligible) it kinda sucks that we can't, we won't be able to do it today."

Controller: "(unintelligible) fire up the cat."

Operations: "Ooh, disgusting. Augh, that thing was disgusting."

Controller: "Chinese people do it, so why can't we?"

Operations: "Augh, stop it."

Controller: (laughter).

11:51:17 a.m. Controller, to the Piper pilot: ''One mike charlie, start a left turn to join the Hudson River."

Piper pilot: "One mike charlie."

Controller: "This freakin' guy"

Operations: "I know (laughter)."

Controller: (unintelligible)

Operations: "Oh my god, it was pretty bad. Ugh."

The conversation continues for about 2 { minutes, interspersed with radio communications with various aircraft.

11:52:19 a.m., the controller radios the Piper and instructs the pilot to contact the Newark airport tower on a certain frequency, and the pilot repeats the instruction. At about the same time, the Newark tower calls the Teterboro tower about the Piper plane.

Newark controller: "Hey, Teterboro, Newark. Would you switch that guy, maybe put him on a two-twenty heading to get away from that other traffic please?"

Teterboro controller: "Say again, Newark."

Newark controller: "Can you switch that PA-32 (the Piper)?"

Teterboro controller: "I ... did keep an eye on him, though."

Newark controller: "I'm not talking to him, so..."

Teterboro controller, trying to radio the Piper: "One mike charlie, Newark is (on frequency) twenty-seven eighty-five. He's lost in the hertz, try him again."

Newark controller: "One mike charlie, Newark."

During this time, the Teterboro controller is also on the phone with the woman in the operations office.

11:53:07 a.m., Teterboro controller says to the operations office: "Damn."

Operations: "What's the matter..."

Controller: "Yeah, let me straighten stuff out." He hangs up at 11:53:10, four seconds before the collision occurs.

Teterboro controller, on the radio to Newark: "Newark, Teterboro. Did you get him yet?"

Newark controller: "Nope."

11:55:17, Newark controller: "I think he went down in the Hudson."

11:55:42, another helicopter pilot in the area: "Be advised there was an airplane crashed into a helicopter just south of the Lincoln (tunnel) a minute ago."

Teterboro operations: "Did he say what I thought he said?"

Controller: "Yeah."

Operations: "Where at?"

Controller: "Over the river."

Operations: "Oh, my lord. Okay, thanks."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/2771637/US-controller-joked-about-cooking-cat
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: