Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 11:23:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

“Autumn”

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “Autumn”  (Read 1380 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:28:32 pm »

Some autumn photographs taken around the Southern Lakes district of Te Wai Pounamu last month (April 2009).

The bridge over the Clutha River near Luggate....

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:29:24 pm »

The Cadrona Hotel (it's amazing how many people think this is an ad-agency's creation)....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »

The lakefront in Queenstown with the TSS Earnslaw berthed at the steamer wharf....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:30:40 pm »

The Arrowtown public library....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:31:22 pm »

The Kingston Flyer at Kingston....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »

Lake Wakatipu looking north towards Glenorchy....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:32:30 pm »

The Rees River valley looking upstream as viewed from the bridge on the road to Paradise....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:32:54 pm »

The gorgeous farmhouse at Paradise in the Dart River valley....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:33:35 pm »

Some more photographs taken at Paradise....

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:34:37 pm »

The Dart River valley looking upstream as viewed from the bridge on the road to Routeburn....

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:57 pm »

What a fabulous house in a fabulous setting.   I don't think we always value the magnificence of our own backyard.   Lovely photos.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:04:17 am »

Wicked photos alright.
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:10:28 pm »

That could quite possibly be my ultimate dream house. It even has a big green house out back.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 12:34:28 am »

Paradise is a really beautiful place....you can see why it is called Paradise (that is the official gazetted placename).

The road up the Dart Valley to Paradise used to be rather rough & ready and it petered out at that farm, although the legal public road carried on as a 4WD track to Chinaman's Bluff where the Dart tramping track begins.

However, it is now quite a good road to Paradise, although gravel, and it has been properly formed beyond the farm all the way to Chinaman's Bluff, although there are no bridges and you have to drive through fords at the many side-streams feeding into the Dart River. At Chinaman's Bluff, there are even proper flush toilets now complete with toilet paper, handbasins with running water, soap and paper towels, rubbish bins, etc. I guess the pressure of tourists visiting the area has forced DOC to bit the bullet and spend money putting in flash toilets to stop hoardes of people shitting in the forest or along the river bank.

Since the Lord of the Rings movies were made, the number of tourists driving up to Paradise has gone ballistic. Quite a few scenes in the movies were shot around Paradise and heaps of tourists want to go and take a look. And they all photograph the farmhouse at Paradise.

One interesting thing about the area....there used to be a large glacier on the side of the mountain range running along the true left side of the valley past the farm. That was seventeen years ago. I have been down that valley at the end of a tramping trip since then (after crossing Cascade Saddle from the West Matukituki Valley) but that was in the evening when it was dark. However, last month was the first time I had been up that valley in daylight since 1992 and I was shocked to discover that the entire glacier had melted apart from a couple of small patches of dead ice. That's global warming for you! I wonder how long before the rest of the glaciers up the valley also melt? You can see some of them in the photographs I took at Paradise.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 08:29:44 am »

Those two photos of Lake Wakatipu are very spectacular.  Great depth of field.
Report Spam   Logged
Orchidoofus
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 06:19:16 pm »

That picture of the Earnslaw...
love it.

And it reminded me how Ron Goodwin (conductor, toured nz with the nzso back in 70s)
wrote a piece "Earnslaw" which was pretty darn good to listen to..

Never did own a recording of it.

Thanks for the pics - good viewing as always...
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 06:31:12 pm »

Orchi I googled your info and found this small sample of the piece you speak of
http://www.last.fm/music/Ron+Goodwin/_/The+Earnslaw+Steam+Theme
I would love to hear the whole piece and the influence of the engines is very evident.  Thanks for that info I enjoyed it.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 09:49:56 pm »

They sell a CD with that piece of music on it onboard the TSS Earnslaw.

I was on the steamship a couple of months ago and they had a stack of them for sale sitting on the counter.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was recorded by the NZ Symphony Orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 06:32:27 am »

We are thinking of taking a run down south for 5 or 6 days...lot of old family grave sites/history to visit so will check that out.   Orchidoofus said NZSO so you are probably right TJ.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: