Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:33:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

White Rhino baby

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Rhino baby  (Read 389 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: May 15, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »

Moesha, Hamilton Zoo's female white rhino, has defied the odds and popped a sprog.

The calf was born at Hamilton Zoo on April 30 after a 16-month gestaration, is the fourth baby rhino to be born at the facility and the sixth ever to be born in New Zealand.

Zoo director Stephen Standley said staff were resolved to the fact Moesha may never give birth given her estimated 15-year-old age and she had not been in full breeding condition for some time.

"Since rhinos are fertile when they are around 6-7 years old, we had very real concerns that she may have missed her chance to be a mum," he said.
White rhinos were on the verge of extinction in the early 90s, but thanks to protection of them and their habitat their population had been boosted from 100 to more than 11,000.

Moesha and her calf are on display to the public for short periods from this week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/2414467/All-white-for-zoos-new-arrival

I feel terrible - I love rhinos especially white ones - I had no idea there was one at the Hamilton Zoo - I better find out when they are open and go check this one out!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:28:49 pm »

How many ring tailed possum's do they have of for that matter worldwide???
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 07:16:51 pm »

Is that a rhetorical question?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: