Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:01:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Browsers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 1399 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: May 15, 2009, 08:34:56 pm »

Whats around?

What do you use and why?

Im using Firefox and after its last update has taken over my homepage - I know this has happened to others - whats happening is my preferences arnt being saved when the browser closes.

Time to chuck it I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »

I use IE Primarily and FF mostly for testing.

By rights FF follows the WC3 standards better than IE7 - but the web has grown up with IE not following the standards so IE still remains the best option.

IE8 follows the standards the same as FF and has the option to rollback the browser engine to IE6/7 in compatibility mode.

IE8 would be my choice if I had to pick one - but in my industry IE8 is still to 'new' so I cant advance to that yet...

So IE7 it is.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:16:46 pm »

i installed ie8  yesterday -.- its  been running so slow 
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:22 am »

Im giving slimbrowser a run - I think Brownie or someone mentioned it the other day.

Might have a look at googles chrome too.

I just get bored with what I have - want to see something different  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »

I'm using FF right now.  I think it is faster than IE 7...is it my imagination?   I also like the dropdown in the address bar to frequently visited sites.   I like the page review addon.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:59:40 pm »

In the beginning I found FF faster - but it slowed down and had some very odd preoccupations on opening  Huh

This slim is OK - I dont like the ads though and although there is a adblocker I cant seem to get it operational.
Report Spam   Logged

Nitpicker1
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:26 am »

By rights FF follows the WC3 standards better than IE7 - but the web has grown up with IE not following the standards so IE still remains the best option.

IE8 follows the standards the same as FF and has the option to rollback the browser engine to IE6/7 in compatibility mode.

IE8 would be my choice if I had to pick one - but in my industry IE8 is still to 'new' so I cant advance to that yet...

So IE7 it is.

Smiley

I think IE8's great, I don't know what I think of it's InPrivate browsing HEAPS FASTER with the filtering on

What do you think of it's developer tools Daz? CSS versus html ?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:49 am »

Is the in private browsing the proxy browsing?
This slim one has that too - but I havent used it yet - some of the commands on slim dont work - some games dont come up - I havent looked yet but Java may not be included in it.

I have in page ad filter enabled but still get ads grrrr  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:06:49 am »

So IE7 it is.

Smiley

I think IE8's great, I don't know what I think of it's InPrivate browsing HEAPS FASTER with the filtering on

What do you think of it's developer tools Daz? CSS versus html ?

HTML and CSS are too different things Nits - HTML (XHTML) defines the page structure where as CSS defines the look and feel - So (for example) some plan text in a HTML document is contained within a container of some kind - like;

Code:
<div class="clHeadingText">My text in here</div>

The above would look like this on a page;

Code:
My text in here

Then to make that text look pretty and position it in the correct location on the page you would use CSS contained within a style-sheet (a separate file) - which would look like this;

Code:
.clHeadingText{font-family:arial; color:#000; font-size:11px;}

And that would resulting text would now look like this;

My text in here

As a result - you use both when building the user interface.
The intention of CSS was to seperate the the styles (look and feel) from the page structure. The advantage is that if the above was a page heading used across the entrie site then to change that headings look and feel I would only have to change that one style in one place and that one change could effect 100's of pages right across the site. Back in the old days you had to make the change to each page.

That's not really called development thou, the real work is in the server side programming, making the pages talk to the database - for that I prefer VB.NET or C#.Net - and that looks like this;

Code:
Sub introText
 Get
   If DateTime.Now.Hour >= 6 And DateTime.Now.Hour < 12 Then
            Return "Good morning "
       ElseIf DateTime.Now.Hour >= 12 And DateTime.Now.Hour <= 17 Then
            Return "Good afternoon "
       ElseIf DateTime.Now.Hour > 17 Or DateTime.Now.Hour < 6 Then
            Return "Good Evening "
       Else
            Return "Hello "
       End If
 End Get
End Sub

The above code would check the time of day and return the "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" depending on the result - if the function fails then it just throws back "Hello" instead.

When that's fired back to the page you grab it and dump it within a container like the one mentioned above and then the CSS is applied to make it look pretty.

The possibilities are endless once you start farting around with databases - a website can do pretty much anything asides from make the coffee.

As far as IE8's dev tools - nar, thay are pretty much usless for me. I use Visual Studio 2008 for my work - IE8 cant even start to compare when it comes to the industry strength required to do what I do.

Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 12:12:55 pm »

Im on google chrome now - very basic -  no toys - faster than slim.
And slim stutters a lot - dunno what is causing it.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »

I use Slimbrowser as a secondary browser. I originally set it up on my computers so I could log-in with a separate Passport with the old MSN Groups while I was logged in as Kiwithottlejockey using IE. It allowed me to use other Passwords to upload image files to MSN without having to log-out as Kiwithrottlejockey to do so. I've since decided it is an advatage to have two browsers and split the load if I have a heap of webpages open at the same time. Plus, with these SMF groups, it also allows me to log-in as a group administrator while remaining logged-in as Kiwithrottlejockey if group settings need to be tweaked.

However, one thing to remember is that Slimbrowser in its raw state is not working optimally for many thing you wish to use a browser for. It actually contains a huge number of features, but you have to trawl through the browser's settings and enable all the stuff you wish to use and play with other settings to customise the browser for your use.

One of the things I really like about Slimbrowser is the way it clones things like Favourites from IE (or vice-versa) so that if you do anything with Favourites such as bookmarking a webpage or organising your favourites, it will automatically apply to both Slimbrowser AND Internet Explorer. Yet, while the two browsers work in tandem like that, they keep cookies separate to each individual browser, meaning you an log-in with different usernames on each browser at sites like SMF or ProBoards or Yuku or even MSN.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:45 pm »

Okay....how do you get rid of IE8 and revert to IE7?

I installed IE8 on one of my computers (the one I'm using at the moment) directly from a DVD, but now I've decided I don't like it because it's causing all sorts of glitches with messageboards (such as this one and others), but I can't work out how to get rid of it and revert to IE7. I've looked in the Uninstall Programs ultility that comes with Windows Vista (Home Premium), but Internet Explorer doesn't even show in there.

Any ideas?
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:06:33 am »

I'll do the school thing and then get back to you.

This is something I need to do as well.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 08:35:55 am »

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/710225-how-uninstall-ie-8-beta.html   Is this of any help?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 09:49:52 am »

What problems is it causing u in here TJ?

Im using IE8 now and find it great  Grin

You gotta  do a couple of tweaks but its ok.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 09:40:47 pm »

I managed to work it out.

I went through the list of installed updates and found an uninstall tool in there.

Internet Explorer 8 is now history and I have reverted to Internet Explorer 7.

All is good with the world and these messageboards are now functioning as they should.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 01:19:06 pm »

Aint it strange how some have the same and yet different  Grin

Must be in the settings.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: