Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 09:56:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Browsers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 1428 times)
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: May 17, 2009, 10:06:49 am »

I use IE Primarily and FF mostly for testing.

By rights FF follows the WC3 standards better than IE7 - but the web has grown up with IE not following the standards so IE still remains the best option.

IE8 follows the standards the same as FF and has the option to rollback the browser engine to IE6/7 in compatibility mode.

IE8 would be my choice if I had to pick one - but in my industry IE8 is still to 'new' so I cant advance to that yet...

So IE7 it is.

Smiley

I think IE8's great, I don't know what I think of it's InPrivate browsing HEAPS FASTER with the filtering on

What do you think of it's developer tools Daz? CSS versus html ?

HTML and CSS are too different things Nits - HTML (XHTML) defines the page structure where as CSS defines the look and feel - So (for example) some plan text in a HTML document is contained within a container of some kind - like;

Code:
<div class="clHeadingText">My text in here</div>

The above would look like this on a page;

Code:
My text in here

Then to make that text look pretty and position it in the correct location on the page you would use CSS contained within a style-sheet (a separate file) - which would look like this;

Code:
.clHeadingText{font-family:arial; color:#000; font-size:11px;}

And that would resulting text would now look like this;

My text in here

As a result - you use both when building the user interface.
The intention of CSS was to seperate the the styles (look and feel) from the page structure. The advantage is that if the above was a page heading used across the entrie site then to change that headings look and feel I would only have to change that one style in one place and that one change could effect 100's of pages right across the site. Back in the old days you had to make the change to each page.

That's not really called development thou, the real work is in the server side programming, making the pages talk to the database - for that I prefer VB.NET or C#.Net - and that looks like this;

Code:
Sub introText
 Get
   If DateTime.Now.Hour >= 6 And DateTime.Now.Hour < 12 Then
            Return "Good morning "
       ElseIf DateTime.Now.Hour >= 12 And DateTime.Now.Hour <= 17 Then
            Return "Good afternoon "
       ElseIf DateTime.Now.Hour > 17 Or DateTime.Now.Hour < 6 Then
            Return "Good Evening "
       Else
            Return "Hello "
       End If
 End Get
End Sub

The above code would check the time of day and return the "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" depending on the result - if the function fails then it just throws back "Hello" instead.

When that's fired back to the page you grab it and dump it within a container like the one mentioned above and then the CSS is applied to make it look pretty.

The possibilities are endless once you start farting around with databases - a website can do pretty much anything asides from make the coffee.

As far as IE8's dev tools - nar, thay are pretty much usless for me. I use Visual Studio 2008 for my work - IE8 cant even start to compare when it comes to the industry strength required to do what I do.

Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: