Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 11:33:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

New Families Commissioner

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Families Commissioner  (Read 2929 times)
Magoo
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 06:45:31 am »

Crankin  Grin   
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 06:59:18 am »

Rankin appointment "political sabotage"
Green MP Sue Bradford is describing the appointment of Christine Rankin as a Families Commissioner "an act of political sabotage"

12 May 2009
Green MP Sue Bradford is calling the appointment of Christine Rankin as a Families Commissioner an act of political sabotage.

She is surprised at the appointment, given Ms Rankin's high profile opposition to her anti-smacking law.

Ms Bradford says the reform was promoted and supported by the Families Commission and Ms Rankin's appointment appears to be a deliberate move to divide the body. She says if the Government's agenda is to abolish the commission, it should be honest and do it directly rather than subvert it through political appointments.

United Future leader and Cabinet Minister Peter Dunne, who convinced Labour to create the Families Commission, is urging Ms Rankin to turn down the appointment. He says she is divisive and controversial and her appointment will be disruptive to the commission's work.

Mr Dunne says the decision to give Ms Rankin the role was bitterly contested in Cabinet. He says this, together with her fall from grace under the Labour Government, shows she does not enjoy enough widespread political support to make the job tenable.

Labour leader Phil Goff is astounded at the appointment, also describing Ms Rankin as controversial and divisive.

Mr Goff says the last time New Zealand had a recession Ms Rankin was in the headlines for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars hiring a plane and luxury lodge for her senior managers
. He says that is not a good message to send.

Mr Goff says Ms Rankin has also attacked groups like Barnados, that she will now be required to work with.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=100048&fm=psp,tst

Mr Goff says the last time New Zealand had a recession Ms Rankin was in the headlines for spending hundreds of thousands of dollars hiring a plane and luxury lodge for her senior managers ...

hey Mr Goff werent there some organisations during your parties 9 year reign that did the same sort of thing with conferences at swanky lodges and some only got cancelled when they became public knowledge  ?

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 07:09:44 am »

hey Mr Goff werent there some organisations during your parties 9 year reign that did the same sort of thing with conferences at swanky lodges and some only got cancelled when they became public knowledge  ?
And... what about money for hip hoppers and a  sex change operation for a prisoner and ...and... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 07:39:25 am »

I did not like Christine Rankin when she was head of WINZ, she always came across as arrogant and self serving, however, times have changed and so has she to some extent.

I don't think she is the type that will allow herself to be bullied by the bigwigs, and I think she will stand up for what she believes in, and make sure everyone hears too. Mind you, being one of seven, it will depend on how the majority thinks I suppose. She could be outvoted on matters but if that happens I believe she will use the media to get her point across.

She has ambitions does our Ms Rankin, she COULD do a good job. The fact that some are opposing her indicates to me that they feel she could be a threat, because after all is said and done, at the end of the day (I love that phrase) all politicians are in the job to line their own pockets and for the power it gives them, I don't believe any of them really have the nation's well being at heart, they are all wind and water.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 08:00:46 am »

I think she is a bit of fresh air.   She is more inclined to speak her mind.  Not sure why it is going to take two to do the job though as surely the money for the extra commissioner could be better employed elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:16 am »

I think she is a bit of fresh air.   She is more inclined to speak her mind.  Not sure why it is going to take two to do the job though as surely the money for the extra commissioner could be better employed elsewhere.

She is one of SEVEN Magoo, not two, so there will always be someone with the casting vote and the success or not of anything she tries to do will depend on the mindset of this person.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 08:42:26 am »

Sheesh didn't have my mind on the job there TokGal.  Thanks for the prod.  It was a blooper.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13:51 am »

It would  be interesting to see who others would consider as suitable for this position instead of Christine.

The other one appointed yesterday was Parents Inc’s Bruce Pilbrow.

These will, I imagine join Dr Jan Pryor as Chief Commissioner, Ms Sandra Alofivae, Mr Gregory Fortuin and Mr Kim Workman.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 10:49:32 am »

Some people here have incredibly short memories.

Rankin's history of failed marriages shouldn't in itself be a bar to joining the Families Commission. But it is extraordinary that she has the support of a Christian organisation that preaches the sanctity of marriage.

(Memo Lovelee: If Family First no longer believes marriage should be permanent, then it should remove that principle from its website. It hasn't).

Rankin seems to have a habit of worming her way into right wing organisations with strong views on families and marriage. In 2005, she headed a group called For The Sake Of Our Children, whose founder, businessman John Sax railed on about the damage done by divorce and infidelity. He didn't seem to understand how inappropriate Rankin's involvement was, perhaps he didn't know about her history?

No, what should bar Rankin from the Families Commission isn't her private life or her apparently cavalier view of marriage, it is her divisive nature and her appalling lack of judgement.

While CEO of WINZ she showed an extraordinary ego which lead to stunts such as preparing a video comparing herself with Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King. That and her total lack of concern for taxpayers' money ($1 million spent on a "rebranding" exercise) lead the Labour Government to decide not to renew her contract. Rankin challenged the decision in court, claiming over $1 million in compensation - and lost.

There is no evidence that she understands and has learned from the mistakes she made while with WINZ - in fact, quite the contrary.

You have to wonder whether the Rankin supporters here (predominantly female) would feel the same if the new Commission member was named Chris Rankin, had a penis and a reputation for being an egotistical waster of public money. Somehow I doubt it.

The Nats have always been opponents of the Families Commission, they only agreed to continue it in order to get Peter Dunne on board. Conspiracy theorists could argue that this appointment is a deliberate attempt to derail the Commission and get rid of it.

Who would be a more suitable appointment? Practically anybody.....

Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Magpie

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 10:53:17 am »

Grin  Cheesy 

another govt appointment for someone who was reckless with tax payer money last time she held a govt position.

This is exactly WHY someone who has been reckless with tax payer money should get the appointment.

They KNOW this time, THEY WILL BE WATCHED  Grin

I think its also important to understand that she is not doing the job alone - so I guess she will have to collaborate to be able to spend $$.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:17 am »

If Lovelee had her way she'd have a burglar as Minister of Police, a fraudster as Minister of Finance and an illiterate as Minister of Education....

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2009, 10:57:28 am »

(Memo Lovelee: If Family First no longer believes marriage should be permanent, then it should remove that principle from its website. It hasn't).

I havent and FF havent said they no longer believe marriage should be permanent.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2009, 10:59:25 am »

If Lovelee had her way she'd have a burglar as Minister of Police, a fraudster as Minister of Finance and an illiterate as Minister of Education....

Have you stuck your arse over the edge of the nest and had a shit this morning Magpie.  If you havent its backing up and your shitty thoughts are emerging.   Grin  Wipe your chin.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2009, 11:15:19 am »

Have you stuck your arse over the edge of the nest and had a shit this morning Magpie.  If you havent its backing up and your shitty thoughts are emerging.   Grin  Wipe your chin.

Lovelee being her usual charming self. If you don't want people to take the piss out of you, sweetness, don't post such nonsense next time.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 11:21:33 am »

Sweetie - you obviously havent noticed the piss thats taken out of you!!

In your charming way, of course, you bleat out assumptions, about omeone you dont even know.
Now stop stealing from your boss and get some work done.

Besides - with your criminal loving ways it would be YOU who had a burglar as Minister of Police, a fraudster as Minister of Finance and an illiterate as Minister of Education....  in fact you probably support the new Labour Education minister.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 11:29:51 am »

Lovelee, why settle for being a nasty piece of work when with a bit more effort you could be completely and totally horrible?

Try harder..... Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38:14 am »

Magpie the last Labour PM was a fraudster

families commision should be canned It is a meaningless luxury we cant afford in a recession It has achieved nothing

Boot Fortuin out
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »

Have you stuck your arse over the edge of the nest and had a shit this morning Magpie.  If you havent its backing up and your shitty thoughts are emerging.     Wipe your chin.
[/b]

My vote for post of the week. 

When critics have to resort to ranting about her skirts, earrings and several marriages you know the Nats have made a good decision.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:23:21 pm by Brownie55 » Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Magpie

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 02:15:50 pm »

Have you stuck your arse over the edge of the nest and had a shit this morning Magpie.  If you havent its backing up and your shitty thoughts are emerging.     Wipe your chin.
[/b]

My vote for post of the week. 

When critics have to resort to ranting about her skirts, earrings and several marriages you know the Nats have made a good decision.

Brownie, if your post of the week is a piece of abuse with potty connotations, that says more about your low standards than it does about anything else.

No-one here has mentioned Rankin's dress. Her marriages are relevant, it is interesting John Key mentioned yesterday that he hadn't been aware she had been married four times. Clearly he thought it was relevant or he wouldn't have mentioned it.

Of course, your judgement is so addled the Nats couldn't make a bad decision in your eyes even if they dug up Rob Muldoon and made him ambassador to South Africa.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:15 pm »

Magpie the last Labour PM was a fraudster

families commision should be canned It is a meaningless luxury we cant afford in a recession It has achieved nothing

Boot Fortuin out

BM, your signature tune is getting very old and tired, it needs replacing.

How about: "My Old Man's A Dustman" or "Tie A Yellow Ribbon To The Old Oak Tree" ?
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:25 pm »

Get real magpie    ....Why don't you admit that you are still suffering from sour grapes and anything National does you will criticise , even irrationally.  Get some help man.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 03:40:09 pm »

Good lord Magpie - have you reread your postings?
You are unable to acknowledge anything positive from anyone!
As far as you are concerned you are the only one who knows what is right.

You need serious help sweetie - you used to post some intelligible stuff that was worth reading but now all you do is abuse others opinions cos they dont match with yours.  Decline in some can be swift and painful.
Report Spam   Logged

chrismrky

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 05:03:07 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA.......... I LOVE IT

Grin Grin Grin Grin Tongue Tongue Tongue Smiley Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2009, 05:05:14 pm »

Hes figured you aint around so he's entertains me for half the day.
Report Spam   Logged

chrismrky

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2009, 05:34:47 pm »

Hes figured you aint around so he's entertains me for half the day.

He.....!!!  why did I think it was a woman???

i kept putting it down to PMT, lack of chocolate, or full moon...

now I understand.....its a MAN  trying to get in touch with his feminine side........heee heee
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: