Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 09:20:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

New Families Commissioner

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Families Commissioner  (Read 2718 times)
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2009, 04:19:50 pm »

In reading that IMO she is not suitable for the position.

Someone said early in the debate that she had had 4 marriages - IMO that is not reason enough.

If she was responsible as the 3rd party in this marriage (and doubt is so heavily cast on the media of late - can we believe this?) then IMO she doesnt qualify.

what the hell does a persons personal life have to do with their ability to do a job ?

so she was dating someone whilst they were still living with their partner .... many people do it all the time ...

i was told some interesting things about Margo McAuley when she died and Christine Rankin wasnt even mentioned ...

cAuley had trouble in her first [ that we know of ] marriage and in her last one as well ...

so now everyone is accusing Rankin of being responsible for her suicide ?

get real ...

only the selfish end their lives by killing themselves....

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2009, 04:29:36 pm »

Mr Life Expert back again --- only the selfish end their lives by killing themselves.

Thats old psyche thinking, Freud would be proud of you.

Irrelevant really though.

I doubt she is clear about what is good for a family.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2009, 04:51:52 pm »

what the hell does a persons personal life have to do with their ability to do a job ?

Well, Christine Rankin obviously thought it was perfectly alright to drag a person's personal life into things when she made snide comments about the previous Prime Minister being childless. I know plenty of women who are childless and sometimes it is because they are unable to conceive, or for any one of several possible reasons.

However, as Christine Rankin made comments about someone else's personal life, then she opened the floodgates for her own personal life to become public property to be commented on by all & sundry. What goes around comes around!! (Unless one is a Nats supporter, in which case it is okay to comment about other people's personal lives, then complain when your own personal life is commented on.)
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2009, 05:09:18 pm »

In reading that IMO she is not suitable for the position.

Someone said early in the debate that she had had 4 marriages - IMO that is not reason enough.

If she was responsible as the 3rd party in this marriage (and doubt is so heavily cast on the media of late - can we believe this?) then IMO she doesnt qualify.

so she was dating someone whilst they were still living with their partner .... many people do it all the time ...

i was told some interesting things about Margo McAuley when she died and Christine Rankin wasnt even mentioned ...

cAuley had trouble in her first [ that we know of ] marriage and in her last one as well ...

so now everyone is accusing Rankin of being responsible for her suicide ?

get real ...

While I am not suprised to see that you know nothing factual about suicide Newton, as the Mother of someone who has taken their own life I find that comment distasteful.

Try engaging your brain before you make anymore judgement calls about others please.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
guest49
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »

Total and utter rubbish.

The idea of consideration of others, doesnt even enter the mind of someone depressed enough to commit suicide.
There is nothing outside the walls of the black-hole that is their existance.

You are certainly entitled to spout your opinion, but until you have been to the edge of eternity and walked away, its totally valueless
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2009, 08:09:14 pm »

Ooooh....this should be good.

Christine Rankin is about to appear on TV One's Sunday program (in a couple of minutes).

I wonder what sort of bullshit and spin she will attempt to put on things?
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2009, 08:42:45 pm »

Bollocks. It is not until you know someone who commits suicide that you can even attempt to understand what someone has gone through - what it is that might have driven them to take their own life. Some close to those who have taken their own life will never know or understand either. It is never simple. It most definitely is not something to be judgmental about.

I had a colleague who committed suicide. Her pain - emotional and mental anguish - was such that she couldn't and didn't want to live. She had had a tragedy one year previously. She turned to the church, she had counselling, she sought help - nothing took away her pain. In the days before her death, she became calm. She was finally at peace. None of us realised she was saying goodbye to us. She arranged everything including what she wanted at her funeral. There were notes - she had thought it through thoroughly. She wanted me to sing at her funeral and even said what she wanted me to sing.

One of the Chaplains had a go at me and another Chaplain when we were discussing the music. He became judgmental and holier than thou. It wasn't until that very moment that I realised just how much respect I had for her. It was tough on those left behind, but she could not go on. To her, the only way she would be at peace was to die. Not for a moment would she have thought that she would cause others pain. It was NOT selfish.

I called the Chaplain a few choice names - then stood proudly and sang what she wanted me to sing.

Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2009, 09:15:35 pm »

I called the Chaplain a few choice names - then stood proudly and sang what she wanted me to sing.

As a REAL friend does.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »

From Newtown-Fella

From Newtown-Fella
i have stated that i personally have had a very close encounter with suicide and it is something that has touched me on more than one occasion with other people i know having taken the suicide escape route...

Perhaps NF - You should decide compassion or condemnation. I have had friends who have suicided and families that had to cope with it. For the families I had total compassion - for my friends, there was hurt and disappointment BUT I would never condemn them!
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2009, 09:38:46 pm »

Looks like that was unanimous  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:46 pm »

you can all stop trying to put words in my mouth thanks you very much ....

i have been around long enough to have experienced many things in life including someone close who committed suicide

if you stopped and thought about it before spouting forth a tirade of abuse towards me you perhaps would realise that your left behind have all the unanswered questions ...

the main one being WHY ??

your left to suffer the loss ....

someone who commits  suicide is selfish and weak and cowardly  and it is a primarily selfless act that it takes a great deal of courage and strength to confront death and overcome the instinct of self-preservation and most have no thought or respect for those left behind to carry on with life....

agree or disagree that is your right what im saying is my personal opinion - which i am allowed to have - whether you like it or not
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2009, 10:08:29 pm »

The comment was out of line and lacking in compassion and understanding, Newt.

Instead of jumping into defense mode - take it like a man and retract it.

The worst thing about this is that Ms Rankin will be hounded like Veitch was.  We havent taught the media anything, and they havent learnt anything.

Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:56 pm »

Having just read through all six pages of posts one thing has become extremely clear. Ms Rankin and even the subject of Ms Ranking, is extremely devisive.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2009, 10:58:59 pm »

Geeez I hope I never become so famous or well known that the media want to pry into my past....   Imagine people digging around and interviewing people who new you years ago......

As for suicide, my husband's family has been affected by it probably more than any family in NZ.
Within a few years his father, son, brother, 2 cousins an uncle all suicided.( This isn't counting quite a few attempts by others) While doing his genealogy I found a few others including a great great grandfather. If anybody wanted to study genes to see if there is such a thing as a suicide gene they could study his family. Looking at the circumstances around the ones I personally knew I couldn't pinpoint a 'single' reason or a common factor leading up to their deaths..except possible depression undiagnosed in most cases.  
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Magoo
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08:18 am »

I would have thought it would be better to give her a run before putting her through the shredder about her personal life.       If the same criteria was applied to every job application there wouldn't be many in the work force. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:13 am »

Ms Rankin went on television to deny having an affair with Kim MacIntyre before Wellington real estate agent Margo McAuley died in October last year.

She described Ms McAuley as a friend, and said her marriage to Mr MacIntyre at the start of this year "may seem unusual to outside eyes".

"Many think there was an affair. There was not," she told TVNZ's Sunday programme.

She criticised the "left" and the "gutter press" and said she would continue with the Families Commission role because she had "a great deal of knowledge, compassion and understanding".
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10572950&ref=rss

Looks like a storm in a tea cup - if she had an affair before the woman took her life it will come out - its highly probable the woman didnt want her husband to suffer any more - and out of pure selfishness (according to Newt) took her life.

Report Spam   Logged

Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:35 am »

When it comes to politics that trio apply one simple litmus test: if its National its perfect, it it is Labour it is the embodiment of evil.

Don't you just do the reverse?

Brownie I appreciate reading and comprehension are not your strongest suit. But if you read some of my previous postings you will find that I have said that the previous Labour government, after nine years in office, had become out of touch, arrogant and deserved to be voted out.

If National were to remain in power for 50 years you would still worship them mindlessly.

So don't put me in the same box as yourself. Anyway, that box is already full, what with you, Ballasted Moth and Newtown Fella in there already.
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Magpie

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 09:45:51 am »

I don't think Rankin's private life, unsavoury though it may be, should in itself prevent her from being an effective Family Commissioner. But it is amazing that she still has the support of the religious right.

What does make her an unsuitable candidate is her appalling lack of judgement and apparent total inability to learn from her mistakes or even admit she has ever made any.
Report Spam   Logged

Nitpicker1
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 09:51:08 am »

http://www.skinny.co.nz/

~~~Can Christine Rankin act appropriately as a Family Commissioner? Can National continue to support her appointment? Can National continue to support Paula Bennett who went behind Peter Dunne’s back to appoint her in the first place?

There will be more to come on this I’m sure*.~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Yep, probably a lawsuit or two

Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:47 am »

I don't think Rankin's private life, unsavoury though it may be, should in itself prevent her from being an effective Family Commissioner. But it is amazing that she still has the support of the religious right.

What does make her an unsuitable candidate is her appalling lack of judgement and apparent total inability to learn from her mistakes or even admit she has ever made any.

her  unsavoury private life ...?

and what appalling lack of judgement  ?

what mistakes has she made  ?

things as i see it were ticking along rather nicely for her when she was head of WINZ until along came Helen Clark and the shit hit the fan ?

you obviously in your wisdom Mag's know something that we dont ...

come on spill the beans ....  Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Magpie

« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15:05 pm »

her  unsavoury private life ...?

and what appalling lack of judgement  ?

what mistakes has she made  ?

things as i see it were ticking along rather nicely for her when she was head of WINZ until along came Helen Clark and the shit hit the fan ?

you obviously in your wisdom Mag's know something that we dont ...

come on spill the beans ....  Wink

Gee Rip van Winkle how long were you asleep?

For mine her involvement with another woman's husband which lead to a suicide is pretty unsavoury.

The shit hit the fan at WINZ when it became clear Rankin was an extravagant waster of taxpayers' money. This included over $200,000 on a flash staff meeting at an exclusive resort, $1 million on a "rebranding" exercise and God Knows How Much on a video in which she compared herself with Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King.,..

This behaviour would have been bizarre enough if she was CEO of a private company but as a senior public servant it was extraordinary.

There is no evidence I can see that she concedes even now that she did anything wrong. She just blames her reputation on the evil left and the Labour Government. Truth is she was the architect of her own downfall.

Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2009, 12:51:28 pm »

For mine her involvement with another woman's husband which lead to a suicide is pretty unsavoury.

oh so Rankin shacking up with McAuley's husband is the 100% sole reason that McAuley committed suicide ?

if thats what you believe Mag's it shows how naive you are ..

Ray Smith has worked in the public sector for more than 20 years. In July 2006, he took up the role of Deputy Chief Executive of Child, Youth and Family following the organisation's merger with the Ministry of Social Development. He leads a workforce of more than 2,700 staff who deliver statutory child protection and youth justice services.

Prior to this, Ray held a number of key roles in Work and Income. From 2001, as Deputy Chief Executive, he led the Ministry's implementation of several key initiatives such as Working for Families.

As National Commissioner from 1998 to 2001, Ray was responsible for the successful integration of Income Support and the Employment Service.
http://psnetwork.org.nz/commsat/bios.html
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2009, 12:57:42 pm »

Over the past week there has been a media storm over my appointment as a families commissioner and most recently the awful circumstances relating to the death of Margo McAuley.

It is a situation that is almost beyond dealing with. Margo was for a long time, a friend. A complex friend, at times a difficult friend, but a friend.

Emotionally, her marriage to Kim was over a very long time ago, and last year Kim decided to leave Margo.

Many think there was an affair. There was not. We did get married at the beginning of this year, and that may seem unusual to outside eyes.

But sometimes when things happen that are almost impossible to deal with, in each other you find a strength and a way to live.

Margo’s choice to take her own life was awful.

As the details of the last months of her life emerged, and in fact, continue to emerge, there was a pattern of decline that I suppose is often the case with people who are in a fragile state.

I feel devastated by her death, but I cannot tell my side of the story because to do so would be to expose details that are private to Margo.

Others have chosen to comment, but I would suggest that there are aspects even they do not know the full and complex facts of.

I don’t think it’s right to even say this much, but the accusations, speculation, and rumour are so utterly destructive that to not respond somehow, would also be wrong.

Having your private life brought into the public arena is an awful thing. The malicious glee with which some people have swooped upon this horrible situation is reprehensible.

Life is not straightforward, it is seldom perfect.

It is right that I respond to media enquiries over children and most other public aspects of life affecting New Zealanders.

But somewhere in all of this, public figures need to maintain a private life, - because it is not possible to survive with every part of your life torn shred from shred.

I have to draw a line at my private life, and ask you to respect this.

In closing I want to say thank you to the many hundreds of kind messages of support that have flooded in over the past week.

The flowers, the emails, the texts, the voicemails, the cards, the commentators who have brought a degree of common sense to this frenzy, the callers to talk back.

In the bleakest moments, it is these small acts of kindness that remind me that there are still people of integrity, courage, and heart.

ENDS

http://business.scoop.co.nz/2009/05/18/media-statement/
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2009, 12:36:49 am »

Christine Rankin thinks her personal life is off-limits.

Funny thing is she didn't think the previous Prime Minister's personal life was off-limits when she (Christine Rankin) made snide remarks about not having children. I would class having or not having children to be part of a woman's personal life. Many women who don't have children are unable to have children. Does Christine Rankin think it is okay to make snide comments about every woman who doesn't have children?

By making snide comments about other public persons' personal lives, Christine Rankin has opened herself up to being on the receiving end of more of the same and if she then blows her stack about what goes around then comes around then Christine Rankin is being a hypocrite!!
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:13 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: