Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:03:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Edmonds cook book sultana cake recipe

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edmonds cook book sultana cake recipe  (Read 2654 times)
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« on: May 09, 2009, 02:33:08 pm »

Ok since you cant get sultanas here at the supermarket... i have managed to find them at an aussie shop here $6.50 usa $ for 375 grams..i love this cake and wanted my merican family to know what they are missing out on...so if anyone can help me out that would be awesome....
Report Spam   Logged

I know how i am and your approval isn't needed

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:53:21 pm »

okay so thats $4.75 for the sutanas
Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:56:10 pm »

2 cups sultanas
250g butter (chopped in small pieces)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp lemon OR almond essence
3 cups plain baking flour
1 + 1/2 tsp baking powder

Put sultanas into a saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Add butter. In a bowl, beat sugar into eggs until well combined. Add sultana mixture and essence. Sift flour and baking powder together. Mix into fruit mixture. Spoon into a greased and lined 20cm square cake tin. Bake at 180* for 1 - 1+1/2 hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.

There ya go Relaxed - just as well I don't type for a living, I try to be correct but it takes sooooooo much longer LOL.

Do they not use sultanas there? They're such a basic item here, I'm a bit gobsmacked. What else is common here but not used there? (just nosey
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:38 am »

This was my Grandmother's recipe ... I still use it.

Mum Hunter’s Sultana/Fruit Cake

½ lb butter
½ lb sugar
4 eggs
10 ozs flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
lemon juice or essence
1 lb sultanas (or fruit)

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs then lemon essence. Add sifted flour and baking powder. Stir in the fruit and turn into a cake tin lined with baking paper. Bake at 180oC for approximately 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean.
Report Spam   Logged
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:47:30 am »

Aww thanks for that Ali and Shef

Shef there are a few things we can't get here

A decent pumpkin swear nothing comes close.....the only time i can get one is around halloween and it's a aussie blue... nestl'e reduced cream... disiccated coconut omg the kind you buy here is so over sweetened its nasty....so many fruits like guavas, fejoas and passionfruit you can get but no way am i paying 2$ for 1...funny story i found a packet of NZ silverbeet seeds because all they have here is swiss chard...i planted the seeds in a container they didn't come up...so i threw them in the garden the next year they came up lol...hmmm i have never seen a potato fritter or any fritter of any kind...my hubby hates cream corn so i throw in a handfull of frozen corn he doesn't notice the difference Wink   there is a store here call the aussie pie shop there pies are ok...but they mince up everything i kinda miss the chuncks of steak so i make my own and the sausage rolls are crap to much bread crumbs and pepper....i made 3 lots  for xmas day...beef ...pork and turkey...the turkey i had never made before so i just had a go at it my own recipe....i made 2 doezen of each and they were the first to go...even my own kids who are here from NZ said that they were awesome...who would of thought...
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 03:23:26 pm »

You can't get sultanas? Shocked

White raisins are the same thing if that helps.

Normal raisins do have a different flavour.

I just can't get over not being able to buy sultanas.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 06:15:47 pm »

Sweetpea lol i will look for the white raisens when i go to the store...And yes i hear you about that...could you imagine the look on my face when i was they have never heard of them?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: