Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 09:32:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

You Go Winston !!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Go Winston !!  (Read 211 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:43:48 am »

Winston Peters still has VIP car

WHEN IT'S over, it's time to say goodbye. But Winston Peters' attachment to his government-issued car endures.

The ex-MP's ministerial car, a 2005 Ford Territory SUV, is still parked outside his home in Auckland's St Mary's Bay.

The car has a "VIP" sticker in its window and appears to be in use.

Internal Affairs confirmed his was the only car not returned by ministers ousted in last November's election.

Act leader Rodney Hide was outraged Peters still had the car three months after being voted out of parliament. He said the police should be called to recover the vehicle.

"This has never happened before. MPs from all parties have respect for the taxpayer. Winston Peters it's always been about him, and he thinks everyone owes him a living."

Peters was irritated yesterday at fielding questions about the car, after its presence was flagged on blog sites.

"First of all, start off with a fact and not a tissue of lies as well, on your first question," he told the Sunday Star-Times before adding: "Now don't be a numbskull. If you want to believe a whole lot of blog sites and Rodney Hide, and every other twit in town, go right ahead. Stop indulging in lies and stop wasting my time." He then hung up.

Peters officially lost his right to the car when he was voted out of government. It is supposed to be back with Internal Affairs officials to be allocated to another minister or sold.

A department spokesman said Peters had been overseas, and had been talking about buying the car but now wasn't which had delayed arrangements for its return. He said the department would send a VIP driver to Auckland with another driver to bring the car back to Wellington.

"He has given the car back, it's simply a question of us arranging to collect it at a time when someone's able to give us the keys."

He didn't know if Peters was driving the car at taxpayers' expense. "We wouldn't have expected any significant use of vehicles in this time. We don't think any use is likely to affect the value or is likely to be very significant."

Peters would be responsible for any petrol costs unless the car had been used for official purposes such as moving property from a ministerial office or driving the car to return it.

He said there was no particular date for returning cars, and agreements were "all on the basis of being reasonable".

The car would probably be sold because it had been driven a lot.

Tell us what you think. Should Winston Peters be allowed to keep the car? Email: news@star-times.co.nz

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartimes/4834463a6005.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:29 am »

Well done Winnie - I bet you havent even had the letter asking for its return.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:32 am »

in the words of sergeant schultz, "I know nothing"
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:33:07 pm »

Let's see if I've got this right:

He's given the car back, but he has still got it.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: