Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 02:37:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Feijoa Jelly

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feijoa Jelly  (Read 1742 times)
Alicat
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:12:16 pm »

Feijoa Jelly

Cut feijoas into chunks and put in a large saucepan.

Fill the saucepan with water to about ¾ of the height of the fruit. (I use hot water – it saves time). Bring to the boil, and simmer until the fruit is really soft. (I then use the egg beater to mash it up).

Tip the lot into a jelly-bag, and suspend it over a large basin, to drip overnight. (Do not squeeze the jelly-bag, as that will make the liquid cloudy, instead of clear).

Next day, measure the liquid into a large saucepan, and bring to the boil.

For every cup of liquid, add a cup of sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar.

Boil until the jelly is ready to set.

After about 20 minutes, start testing, by putting a teaspoon of liquid on a saucer in the fridge for about 5 minutes. It’s ready to set when it forms wrinkles when you tip the saucer.

Important: Do not take your eyes off the saucepan while simmering/boiling, or it will boil over!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:26:53 pm »

Yummo Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »

Thanks Ali    I presume I don't have to peel the feijoas first.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:52:43 pm »

Thanks Ali    I presume I don't have to peel the feijoas first.

Correct - you don't need to peel them.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:44:50 pm »

I have Thursday off work so will try this recipe then.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »

Feijoa and Apple Cake

By PATRICIA SOPER - The Southland Times | Saturday, 09 May 2009

FEIJOA & APPLE CAKE

FEIJOA & APPLE CAKE

The feijoa crop this year seems to be of exceptional quality and size; I was talking to someone in a supermarket the other day who said that they had never seen such splendid specimens.

It took a long time for me to appreciate the almost scented flesh of the feijoa. It was food writer Lois Daish who introduced me to feijoa chutney and from there I have progressed to experimenting with other ways of enjoying the fruit, which makes its appearance on our supermarket shelves in autumn.

When fully ripe the fruit takes on a soft, jelly-like texture.

True connoisseurs simply halve them, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and eat them without ceremony. When cooked with other fruit they take on a deep subtlety that differs from their "raw" flavour.

Today's recipe is an adaptation of one of my favourite cakes. It uses oil rather than butter and the method is very simple; in fact it takes longer to assemble the ingredients than it does to actually make the cake.

If you choose to make muffin-style cakes, adjust your cooking time about 25 minutes for the small cakes and an hour for a single large cake.

You can ice them but I prefer to simply dust with icing sugar and serve a little fruit on the side.

Ingredients:

• 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups raw sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (not olive)
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup wholemeal flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1½ cups sliced feijoas
  • 1½ cups sliced cooked apple (tinned is fine)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest

Method:

• Set oven at 180°C. Grease or spray a 25cm tin or 12 deep muffin tins.
  • Break eggs into processor bowl then add sugar. Pulse for a few seconds and leave sitting while you assemble other ingredients.
  • Sift white flour, baking soda, ginger and salt together then gently stir in wholemeal flour. Set aside.
  • Add lemon zest to chopped and measured feijoa and apple flesh.
  • Process the sugar and egg combo for a further couple of minutes. With the motor running dribble the oil very slowly down the feed tube.
  • Process for another couple of minutes, remove lid and add half the dry ingredients, pulse, add the remainder and pulse again.
  • Add the fruit to the mixture and pulse briefly until just combined.
  • Spoon mixture into prepared tins and bake small versions for about 25 minutes or about an hour for the large cake.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/features/food-wine/2395592/Feijoa-and-apple-cake
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »

The feijoa jelly is divine, thanks for the recipe.....  I will have to make some more though as I know 4 jars won't last long.
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:09 am »

The feijoa jelly is divine, thanks for the recipe.....  I will have to make some more though as I know 4 jars won't last long.

Glad you like it  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:37:45 pm »

Feijoa Jelly
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 01:20:06 am »

In season — Feijoas

What's growing in your garden or flooding the markets? In Season follows Witt chef Robyn Trowern and journalist Virginia Winder in their quest to source the freshest fruit and vegetables, and serve them up with simple sense and inspiration.

Taranaki Daily News | Tuesday, 02 June 2009

HARDY ANNUAL: Robyn Trowern waits all year to make this feijoa and banana cake. — MARK DWYER/Taranaki Daily News.

HARDY ANNUAL: Robyn Trowern waits all year to make this feijoa and banana cake. — MARK DWYER/Taranaki Daily News.

Feijoas are as prolific as recipes for the fragrant fruit. But when the green treasures make their annual appearance, it's great to have a choice in how to serve them.

This week, food artiste Robyn Trowern whips them into a cake, chops them into a salsa and bakes them in a brulee.

"I wait all year to be able to make this cake," she says of a banana and feijoa cake with lemon icing.

"They are my favourite fruit and the season is just too short."

One of the tricks she adopts for this cake is to replace boiled milk with unsweetened Greek-style yoghurt.

"That helps keep a cake even more moist."

When the cake comes out of the oven, it fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma. The cake needs to be topped with a lemon icing to give it extra zing, although a cream cheese icing would also go well, she says.

This is the type of cake that can be served for dessert or go into the cake tin for school lunches. If you're dishing it up for guests, Robyn recommends adding a dollop of unsweetened creme fraiche on the side. "It's really creamy and offsets the sweetness of what you are serving it with."

In another scenario, feijoas are the condiment. Robyn has created a piquant salsa perfect for Mexican meals or to accompany skewers of white meat. In the writer's home kitchen, it was tested on guests at a banquet to mark Cinco de Mayo, a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. There were no visitors from Mexico, just a bunch of people who love chilli-laden food, including a woman from Colombia.

Feijoas, also known as pineapple guava or guavasteen, originate from South America. They are said to come from the highlands of southern Brazil and parts of Colombia, Uruguay and Argentina.

You don't need a banquet to try this salsa. Witt hospitality guru Glen West, who has a new daughter called Chilli, says he'd serve it to guests as nibbles. Instead of the obligatory corn chip, he says the salsa would go well with pita bread that's been brushed with garlic and oil and baked until crisp.

Robyn serves her salsa with kebabs sticks of pan-fried marinated chicken thigh and says it does make a difference what part of the bird you use.

"Chicken thigh meat goes nice and sticky when you cook it. It's a nice meat to use for skewers."

The marinade is simple. To a ¼ cup of olive oil, she adds a small bunch of chopped coriander and a crushed clove of garlic and marinates the bit-sized pieces of chicken for a couple of hours before cooking. The kebabs can be cooked in a pan or under the grill.

Then we're on to a creamy dessert that's a speciality of another Witt chef tutor, Graeme Cawsey. Robyn says people may surprise themselves if they have a go at creating the baked custard treat.

"It's actually easy to make a creme brulee — it just takes a wee bit of time."

In this dessert, the feijoas have already been poached to alter the acid content of the fruit, which could break down the egg if used straight.

"It just adjusts that so the brulee doesn't turn to custard — pardon the pun," Robyn says.

People also need to take care when melting the brulee's sugar topping under the grill. When it begins to bubble and caramelise, it can burn quickly, so be vigilant.

And that's it for another year, so get feasting on feijoas.

—————————————————————————

BANANA AND FEIJOA CAKE WITH LEMON ICING

Cake Batter Ingredients:

• 250g butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 mashed bananas
  • 5 feijoas, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 Tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
  • 2¼ cups self-raising flour
  • ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg

Icing Incredients:

• 100g butter, softened
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon

Method:

• Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 24cm spring-form cake tin.
  • Cream butter and sugars until pale. Add eggs and bananas and beat well.
  • Gently mix in feijoas and baking soda dissolved in yoghurt.
  • Fold in sifted flours and nutmeg. Pour mixture into prepared cake tin.
  • Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
  • Remove from tin and leave to cool.
  • Whisk all icing ingredients together to form a pale fluffy icing.
  • Spread over cake with a spatula.

FEIJOA SALSA

SALSA CELEBRATION: Marinated chicken kebabs are topped with a chunky salsa starring feijoas. — MARK DWYER/Taranaki Daily News.

SALSA CELEBRATION: Marinated chicken kebabs
are topped with a chunky salsa starring feijoas.
— MARK DWYER/Taranaki Daily News.

Ingredients:

• ½ small red onion
  • ½ an avocado, just ripe
  • 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
  • Small handful of coriander
  • 3 feijoas
  • Juice of half a lime
  • 1 Tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce

Method:

• Finely chop red onion and coriander. Dice the avocado and tomatoes.
  • Toss in a bowl with lime and chilli sauce.
  • Just before serving, peel and chop feijoas and gently stir through.
  • Serve with marinated chicken kebabs or with a Mexican meal, like tacos.

CREME BRULEE WITH POACHED FEIJOAS

Serves 6.

Ingredients for Poaching:

• 3 large feijoas (or 6 small)
  • ¾ cup caster sugar
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 2 cups water

Ingredients for the Custard:

• 4 egg yolks
  • 3 Tbsp caster sugar
  • 500ml cream
  • ¼ cup raw sugar or light brown sugar (for topping)

Method:

• Place 125g caster sugar, lemon juice and water in a pot and heat on stove, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved. Bring syrup to the boil.
  • Peel feijoas, drop them into the just-boiled syrup and then turn off the pot. Let the feijoas sit in the syrup until cool.
  • Drain the feijoas. If you have large fruit, cut in half. If you have smaller fruit, cut off one end. Place in 6 x 180ml ramekins, cut side up. If they won't stand up, slice round off bottom so they can.
  • Preheat oven to 160°C.
  • Whisk egg yolks and caster sugar.
  • Pour cream into pot and heat. When almost boiling, whisk cream into egg and sugar mixture.
  • Spoon mixture into ramekins and put them into a large, shallow roasting dish. Pour enough hot water into the roasting dish to come halfway up the ramekins.
  • Bake for 1 hour until just set. Cool, then chill for 2 hours until completely set.
  • An hour before serving, take brulee out of the fridge. To make the brulee topping, sprinkle custard with raw sugar or light brown sugar and melt under a hot grill until golden brown. Serve straight away.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/features/food-drink/2463426/In-season-Feijoas
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: