Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:13:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Feijoa Jelly

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feijoa Jelly  (Read 1738 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:23:12 pm »

Feijoa and Apple Cake

By PATRICIA SOPER - The Southland Times | Saturday, 09 May 2009

FEIJOA & APPLE CAKE

FEIJOA & APPLE CAKE

The feijoa crop this year seems to be of exceptional quality and size; I was talking to someone in a supermarket the other day who said that they had never seen such splendid specimens.

It took a long time for me to appreciate the almost scented flesh of the feijoa. It was food writer Lois Daish who introduced me to feijoa chutney and from there I have progressed to experimenting with other ways of enjoying the fruit, which makes its appearance on our supermarket shelves in autumn.

When fully ripe the fruit takes on a soft, jelly-like texture.

True connoisseurs simply halve them, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and eat them without ceremony. When cooked with other fruit they take on a deep subtlety that differs from their "raw" flavour.

Today's recipe is an adaptation of one of my favourite cakes. It uses oil rather than butter and the method is very simple; in fact it takes longer to assemble the ingredients than it does to actually make the cake.

If you choose to make muffin-style cakes, adjust your cooking time about 25 minutes for the small cakes and an hour for a single large cake.

You can ice them but I prefer to simply dust with icing sugar and serve a little fruit on the side.

Ingredients:

• 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups raw sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (not olive)
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup wholemeal flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1½ cups sliced feijoas
  • 1½ cups sliced cooked apple (tinned is fine)
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest

Method:

• Set oven at 180°C. Grease or spray a 25cm tin or 12 deep muffin tins.
  • Break eggs into processor bowl then add sugar. Pulse for a few seconds and leave sitting while you assemble other ingredients.
  • Sift white flour, baking soda, ginger and salt together then gently stir in wholemeal flour. Set aside.
  • Add lemon zest to chopped and measured feijoa and apple flesh.
  • Process the sugar and egg combo for a further couple of minutes. With the motor running dribble the oil very slowly down the feed tube.
  • Process for another couple of minutes, remove lid and add half the dry ingredients, pulse, add the remainder and pulse again.
  • Add the fruit to the mixture and pulse briefly until just combined.
  • Spoon mixture into prepared tins and bake small versions for about 25 minutes or about an hour for the large cake.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/features/food-wine/2395592/Feijoa-and-apple-cake
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: