Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 06:42:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Is your cat left or right handed? Maybe ambipawous?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is your cat left or right handed? Maybe ambipawous?  (Read 396 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: May 02, 2009, 10:17:43 am »

If you want to find out whether your cat is left or right-pawed, you can use a few controlled experimental measures to find out.

First, choose an isolated area for the test, like the bathroom, so the cat won't be distracted. Bring a notepad, some string, and a piece of scrap paper with you.

Dangle the string before the cats nose until the cat swipes at it. Do this at least ten times, or more if you want greater accuracy. Tally which paw the cat uses (left, right, or both) after each swipe.

Then, drag the string across the floor, directly in front of the cat, until it gets the cat's attention. Just as before, tally which paw is used (left, right, or both) each time the cat pounces, at least ten times.

The last one's a little tricky. Crumple up the scrap paper into a ball, getting the cat's attention, then toss it under a piece of furniture that the cat can reach an front paw under, but can't crawl under. Note which paw the cat uses to try to get the paper ball out. If the cat can't retrieve it, try another paper ball. Have the cat reach under the furniture at least five times. Note the results.

Once you've completed the steps, count up the tally and see where your cat stands! If the cat's preferred paw is between forty and sixty per cent preferred, you might want to try the experiment again, with a larger sample size (more tallying). If you don't feel like doing that, consider your cat most likely to be ambidextrous!

I experimented on my three cats this way. The first kitten, Scully, as well as her brother, Mulder, came up right-pawed. My four-year-old cat, Griever, is ambidextrous. And me? I'm a southpaw!

http://www.helium.com/items/1297204-cat-paw-preference
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:49:54 am »

Having 4 cats I can tell you without running tests.

Jaz always uses the left hook to smack her opponents.

Mo always uses the right hook to smack his.  (Makes squabbles between them silly because they just end up smacking each others foot).

Garfield is ambidextrous - in a fight he sits on his haunches, shuts his eyes and ineffectually waves his front feet around.

Daisy is a right footer, but isn't adept at anything, usually winds up falling on her chin and looking completely gormless in any argument.  You can take it as read that she started said argument too.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:30:40 pm »

Our black cat Raisin is a south paw, like me.     
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:47 am »

I don't need to run tests either.

Holly - right-pawed
Zara - left-pawed
Yogi - right-pawed
Bailey - ambidextrous

Sam was left-pawed
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »

I'm pretty sure Rusty is ambipawous. He can knead me with both paws simutaneously (with claws). If I lift the right off, the left paw keeps going and vice-versa.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 07:23:57 pm »

Smudge was definately right pawed, she would even use her right paw to open a right hinged door (think about it - not easy). Minnie was either ambipawous or left pawed - damn fast either way, she would go after things with both paws pretty much simaltainiously.

Sally, I'll have to check - this is the cat that can't open doors.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: