Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:59:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Fun with Offel

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun with Offel  (Read 1088 times)
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:43 pm »

In the interests of saving a bob or 2 I have been trying out some more unusual but cheap cuts of meat.

Braun made frm a pigs head was a mixed success - only one of the kids would eat it.

Last week I tried Ox heart.
I found this very lean, dark meat cleaned and sliced in my local Pak'n'Save for half the price of gravy beef.

Bit bit of googling lead me to the conclusion that it had to be cooked slowly and be spiced.

I used the spiced stew recipe in my crock pot cook book and cooked the cubed meat for 9 hours on low.

Result: The meat was firm rather than tough but certainly not as tender as I expected. Flavour surprisingly tasteless, no meaty taste at all, just as well the stew was spiced. Texture, reminisant of over cooked kidney or liver, slightly meaty and surprising firm. Not marvelous but good enough for the leftovers to be served on toast the next night with no objections.

Would possibly be acceptable, maybe even nice used instead of steak in a steak and kidney stew. At $4.50/kg it was certainly cheap.

Next week we try sheep's heart.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 06:48:58 am »

I have never used ox heart but my husband likes sheep hearts.   I stuff them with sage and onion stuffing and roast them slowly.   Best used cold.   Daresay ox heart could be done the same way.  Wrap it in foil to cook.   Cooking it too quickly will toughen it because it is after a muscle and will constrict.
Lambs fry I soak in milk for half an hour before cooking.   Clears the blood and sweetens the meat.
Tripe is horribly expensive these days if you can find it so haven't had that in a long while.
You can have the pigs heads.  Grin
Once upon a time there was no such thing as left overs from the carcase even the dogs were fed.   That is until hydatids put a stop to that.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 02:36:48 pm »

Theres one good place for offal - buried in the vege garden.

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:40 pm »

Lambs fry and bacon , cooked correctly, is divine  .   
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:42:25 am »

Devilled kidneys on toast and crumbed lambs brains.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Magoo
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:05:04 am »

Just the thing for a good start to a chilly morning cept'n the brains.     I used to eat them when I was a child but as I aged they lost their appeal.   Odd really I used to have a cast iron gut and would try anything but these days the gag reflex works overtime.   Used to love sweetbreads too.  Haven't seen them around for years.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »

I used to buy sweetbreads years ago, last time I looked they were soooo expensive.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: