Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:24:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Name our Islands

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name our Islands  (Read 2219 times)
Magoo
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2009, 07:04:29 am »

FORUM LANGUAGE
All forum's must be in the English language. If another lanugage is found your forum will be deleted without notice.
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:02 am »

OOPS  FORUM LANGUAGE
All forum's must be in the English language. If another lanugage is found your forum will be deleted without notice

If Maori isn't allowed on this forum please go ahead and delete my thread. Delete me while you at it.

kata haere kē pehu
Report Spam   Logged
Nitpicker1
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2009, 10:11:59 am »

The South Island was original called the Middle Island. I want it to be called Tangata Whenua Middle Island and let Rangiura (Stewart Island) to be also known as The South Island or Te Tonga Motu

Awww charlie
sheesh, when you came up with that I thought you too were having fun with strange names for our islands - I added a smidgion of babelfished german and an ambiguous quote from smfforfree rules in reply.

Soooo sorry if has offended you.

Come to think of it, the suggestion, (if seriously presented) that RAKIURA should be renamed RANGIURA offends me too, as forTangata Whenua Middle Island    pfffft   
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2009, 10:49:47 am »

Awww charlie
sheesh, when you came up with that I thought you too were having fun with strange names for our islands - I added a smidgion of babelfished german and an ambiguous quote from smfforfree rules in reply.

Fun!!! There is good historical reasons for calling the North Island Aotearoa. As for the South Island - South Islanders are the true New Zealanders so why shouldn't they be called the Tangata Whenua of the nation. Why should that honour just be bestowed on people from Auckland.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »

Errrm - may I ask?  Can we be deleted if we use Maori?   Huh
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 06:05:06 pm »

Awesome names the islands have carried for so long.

We can move on from the common names to the botanical names  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 07:46:33 pm »

The new Lonely Planet guidebook, New Zealand's South Island uses the name Te Wai Pounamu throughout its pages to describe the Middle Island (as it was once called when what is now Stewart Island was called the South Island).
Report Spam   Logged
Charlie
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 08:46:03 pm »

I certainly hope we can. They have been using the rest of us long enough.
Report Spam   Logged
Nitpicker1
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 08:53:04 pm »

luvvya charlie, take a applaud from me
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:19 pm »

and rightly so .....
Report Spam   Logged

Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 09:35:36 pm »

If people actually read what the NZ Geographic Board has said...it was.    That the Maori or  English names could be used or they could be used together.   I don't know what some people are so afraid of.   There was no talk of removing the words north or south.   

Pakeha fear Ferney?

If we are going to use first names then perhaps NZ should be called Staten Landt as named by Abel Tasman.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 09:37:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Orchidoofus
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:30 pm »

imho it's a bit irrelevant. We only actually Use the island names when we're directing someone on a map, or such.
Talk of having an "official" name for each island raises only the image of how we address an envelope (remember them? heheh.

When we were nine, we might have included the name of the island, but never since, surely? (And anyway, at nine we went on and on and on...)

123 Main Street
Joxville
Wairarapa
Wellington
North Island
New Zealand
Southern Hemisphere
Pacific Ocean
Earth
Milky Way
The Universe.

remember doing that? Inside an exercise book cover,mine!
Report Spam   Logged
sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58:52 pm »

When we were nine, we might have included the name of the island, but never since, surely?

You've not ordered from an US website we're the people behind cannot imagine a place without a state? Some of them even automate North and South Island (as the only options). IOW last year I used it and will probably be doing so in the next few months.
Report Spam   Logged

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
Orchidoofus_2

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2019, 07:46:59 pm »

TeWaka - the canoe
TeIka - The fish

TeAouMaui - The Land of Maui

?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: