Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 06:22:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Boo hoo hoo: stupid crybaby Trump supporters!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boo hoo hoo: stupid crybaby Trump supporters!  (Read 107 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:25 pm »

from the Los Angeles Times....

Trump voters won. Why should liberals be nice to them?

Trump's sore winners: Why are liberals expected to coddle his supporters?
They got what they wanted!

By  | 4:00AM PST - Friday, February 24, 2017

Protestors demonstrate against President Trump at the Dallas Forth Worth Airport on January 28th in Dallas. — Photograph: Brandon Wade/Associated Press.
Protestors demonstrate against President Trump at the Dallas Forth Worth Airport on January 28th in Dallas.
 — Photograph: Brandon Wade/Associated Press.

LIBERALS aren't welcoming enough to Trump voters, or so the headlines say. Every week there's another batch of think pieces scolding Democrats and leftists for being mean to folks who cast their ballot for the former reality television star. The New York Times quotes a small-business owner complaining that liberals tell him, “You're an idiot if you support any part of Trump.” Protests against Trump, we're told, push Trump voters to double down on love of Trump. The left must assure Trump voters that they are awesome and lovely and wonderful people. Or else.

Isn't there something backward about all of this? Trump won. Republicans won the White House and both houses of Congress; they have the ability to choose a Supreme Court justice. Trump voters are in power; they are going to get the policies they desire, more or less. If anyone has a right to be bitter and resentful, isn't it the left? Why are Trump voters nursing a sense of grievance? They got what they wanted.

In the usual course of things, it's the winners who are supposed to reach out to the losers, not the other way around. Generally, the new president takes steps to assure the losing party that he's planning on governing for all Americans. Shortly before his inauguration in 2009, Barack Obama held a dinner honoring his defeated Republican opponent, John McCain. Obama also kept Republican Robert Gates, Bush's defense secretary, at his post.

Such bipartisan gestures are typical for a new president — and you'd think Trump would be more eager to make them than most. Despite the pundits' warnings that leftists will never be popular again if they do not make nice with Trump voters, the truth is that millions more people voted against Trump than voted for him. He is a deeply divisive figure even within his own party.

As an unorthodox candidate with few long-term ties to the GOP, it would make sense for him to try to find common ground with Democrats. Trump could have appointed compromise picks to his Cabinet, for example. He could have kicked off his legislative agenda with an infrastructure project, which many Democrats signaled they would support.

Instead, Trump has appointed hard-right ideologues to his Cabinet, relied on right-wing, white-nationalist-affiliated gutter journalists like Stephen Bannon for his advisors and pushed the most polarizing aspects of his agenda, such as banning travelers from majority-Muslim countries. He's even been weirdly reluctant to condemn anti-Semitic bomb threats against Jewish Community Centers — a gimme bipartisan gesture if ever there was one.

In speeches, he returns obsessively to the November election, insisting his electoral victory was historically large, even though it was one of the narrower ones in recent history, and claiming that people who voted against him did so illegally. Rather than assuring those of us in the opposition that he is our president too, he has gone out of his way to say that our dissent is illegitimate, and that he despises us.

This is the message from others on the right as well. Congressmen faced with angry town hall meetings blame paid protesters, refusing to acknowledge their own constituents. And pundits write incessantly about how the left needs to embrace Trump supporters, presenting those voters as the real Americans with real grievances, whose egos must be eternally salved, even in victory.

People on the left aren't focused mainly on being mean to Trump voters. On the contrary, people on the left are scared of Trump voters and what they have wrought, and with good reason. Trump and the Republicans have promised to repeal the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, but have not said how they would replace it; people fear what will happen to them if they have no access to healthcare. Trump has made frightening comments about sending troops into cities like Chicago. Immigration agents are arresting people leaving church shelters. The list could go on. Many people are genuinely, and justifiably, afraid of what is happening, and what will happen, under a Trump administration.

Trump is the one in power; Trump voters are the ones who put him there. Why exactly is it up to the left to reassure them?

Trump voters are upset, we're told,  because they're being called bigots or racists. I can't speak for the left as a whole, obviously, but I know that I, personally, would love to be convinced that Trump supporters don't approve of bomb threats against synagogues, and don't want people with cancer to die without care. I would love Trump voters to demonstrate that they are better than the president's worst rhetoric.

I don't have any particular desire to yell at or insult Trump supporters. But I would say to them: You won. Your candidate is in power. If you think the people who voted against you are human, this is your chance to show it.  And if you don't, then yes, the people you're kicking are going to judge you.

• Noah Berlatsky is the author most recently of Corruption: American Political Films.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-berlatsky-trump-sore-winner-20170224-story.html
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:36:37 pm »

from The Washington Post....

Thousands of furious Trump fans can't stop visiting
a website that pretends Clinton won

HillaryBeatTrump.org, whose masthead reads “President Hillary Rodham Clinton”,
went viral after coverage from Breitbart, the Daily Caller and Milo Yiannopoulos.

By PETER HOLLEY | 10:52AM EST - Saturday, February 25, 2017

HillaryBeatTrump.org maintains that Hillary Clinton defeated Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election. — Courtesy of HillaryBeatTrump.org.
HillaryBeatTrump.org maintains that Hillary Clinton defeated Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election. — Courtesy of HillaryBeatTrump.org.

It's just over a month into Hillary Clinton's historic presidency, and Milo Yiannopoulos works as a Starbucks barista, the Koch brothers have fled the country and the first woman to occupy the Oval Office is the sober, exacting policy wonk that millions of Americans expected.

Her approval ratings are skyrocketing, her news conferences “oppressively intelligent”, “boring” and “too sane”.

And her vanquished political opponent, Donald Trump, is on the verge of being charged with treason by the Department of Justice.

THIS liberal fantasy on steroids arrives courtesy of HillaryBeatTrump.org, a satirical news site designed to dive deeply under the skin of President Trump and anyone who supports him.

The site channels The Onion's humor, the National Enquirer's whacked-out headlines and the Huffington Post's progressive indignation. It's a parody-based parallel universe whose creator intended for it to serve as a trap for Trump supporters online, with a mocking masthead that says: “President Hillary Rodham Clinton”.

In recent days, Breitbart, Fox News, Yiannopoulos and the Daily Caller singled out the site as “fake news” and a place for liberals to seek “refuge from reality.”

The site's founder — a 30-year-old East Coast writer who asked spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of becoming a conservative target in real life — told The Washington Post that her conservative critics are partially correct: HillaryBeatTrump is meant to serve as a refuge from reality for liberals.

But mostly, she said, it's a chance to troll the opposition whose party actually won the presidency.

“I wanted it to be a joyful middle finger,” the site's founder said when reached by phone. “I didn't want to wallow or argue with people who can't be argued with. There's something about humor as confrontation that I instinctively thought would work — like a good right jab that I could keep using.”

The joke, it would seem, is not hard to get, even when the joke is just barely a joke. Using humor as protest, the site operates according to the plainly stated position that Clinton is, in fact, the 45th president of the United States.

“In the midst of a Constitutional crisis, this is our response,” the site's “About Us” page states. “Long live the true president, Hillary Rodham Clinton.”

How does she respond to critics who accuse her of perpetuating fake news?

“I empathize with people who feel frustrated that things they see on Facebook do not reflect reality as they see it,” she said. “But no, I don't think anyone can accuse me of misinforming the public en masse or undermining the collective intelligence of public's political discourse by writing fake news that is so obviously satire.”

She decided to launch the site in January as a defense of Clinton's legacy and now has five other writers providing additional content. Although fake, the stories often highlight Clinton's actual policy positions, such as raising the federal minimum wage and guaranteeing paid maternity and paternity leave.

The site also serves to remind Trump supporters that the actual president lost the popular vote to the fake president by enough voters to populate the city of Chicago — a fact Trump has falsely attributed to voter fraud.

If her bulging inbox of violent and misogynistic hate mail is any indication, the bait appears to be working with some unsettling results. Since HillaryBeatTrump.org was picked up on the conservative-media radar, the site's creator says it's been getting about 200,000 visitors per day — enough to keep her busy deleting angry emails for a solid hour each night.

In recent days, she said, news about the site bubbled up on 4chan and various subreddits before appearing on the Daily Caller and then Breitbart and Fox News. The entire journey from the fringes of the conservative map to the news spotlight took about 12 hours, she said.

Now, as if on cue, the furious email stream gushes any time she publishes a post that identifies Clinton as president.

“You can always find your paradise in heaven,” one reader said in an email the site's founder shared with The Washington Post. “Its just one bullet away.”

“I know in your fake world she won but in the real world she did not,” another reader said. “To the people who made this Web page go get a real job like the rest of real Americans.”

“Your dad must have abused you while mom watched, right?” another reader added. “YES Liberalism IS A METAL DISORDER and YOU ARE POOF!”

The founder said the vitriolic reaction says less about her content than it does about her new readers.

“I think it has to be a deep sense of insecurity, and I think they also can't abide by dissent,” she said.

“I've been amazed by how willfully determined they are not to get the joke,” she added.

Browsing the site, the notion of Clinton as commander in chief can feel temporarily real.

Headlines regularly note the first female president's skyrocketing approval ratings (89 percent, according to one recent bulletin), new executive orders furthering liberal causes and grammatically correct tweets.

Conservative media has blasted the headlines as a sort of pathetic alternative reality for bitter liberal snowflakes.

Breitbart referred to the site as “the ultimate safe space” and said it offered Clinton supporters a place they can “pretend.”

“The website's tagline is ‘News From The Real America, Where The Majority Rules” — a reference, of course, to the oft-cited notion that the popular vote actually means something,” a story on Yiannopoulos's blog said.

The site's founder seems to revel in the attention — albeit anonymously.

“For a lot of people who feel like an important chapter was stolen from feminist history by the Russians, by Julian Assange and by the FBI director, HillaryBeatTrump.com is restorative,” she said.

She devotes about 35 hours a week to the site and said she plans to keep it going as long as she can summon the energy, though she's not making any money and considers it “a labor of love.” Because Clinton offered decades of detailed policy prescriptions, many of which will remain at the center of political discourse for years, she'll have no shortage of material to work with moving forward, she said.

If HillaryBeatTrump.com's audience keeps growing, through hate clicks or otherwise, the site's founder might launch a YouTube spinoff — perhaps a nightly newscast with headlines from Clinton's first term in office.

Along the way, of course, she plans to continue to remind her readers that she believes the wrong person is in the White House, she said.

“I'm unwilling to concede the legitimacy of this president,” she said. “I will continue to gleefully, sadistically emphasize Clinton's landslide victory in the popular vote on the site to underline the point that this Trump fellow has no business being president.”

• Peter Holley is a general assignment reporter at The Washington Post.

More on this topic:

• VIDEO: Clinton: ‘The future is female’

• In the Chappaqua woods, a search for Hillary Clinton

• For the ‘new yellow journalists,’ opportunity comes in clicks and bucks

• We actually elected a meme as president: How 4chan celebrated Trump's victory

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2017/02/25/thousands-of-furious-trump-fans-cant-stop-visiting-a-website-that-pretends-clinton-won
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: