Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:35:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The REAL NZ vs the JAFAs

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL NZ vs the JAFAs  (Read 8745 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:01 pm »

humf...I am obviously on the wrong side of the bridge - as per usual.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2012, 07:50:11 am »

I held my Snapper Card up to the Hop Card reader and it gave me the same free ride it promises JAFAs with Hop Cards

Roll Eyes  have ya tried holding it up to a retail POS reader yet?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:52 am »

I held my Snapper Card up to the Hop Card reader and it gave me the same free ride it promises JAFAs with Hop Cards

Roll Eyes  have ya tried holding it up to a retail POS reader yet?

Nope....I only use my Snapper Card for paying for bus fares.

Or getting free inner-city bus rides in Auckland.

When I'm in shops, I pay with cash.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

Wellington tops in salary stakes

By ALANAH ERIKSEN - Weekend Herald | 5:30AM - Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wellingtonians are earning tens of thousands of dollars more than Aucklanders in most professions. — Photo: NZ Herald.
Wellingtonians are earning tens of thousands of dollars more
than Aucklanders in most professions. — Photo: NZ Herald.

WELLINGTONIANS are earning tens of thousands of dollars more than Aucklanders in most professions — but highly paid Queen City bankers are skewing the trend.

The difference was up to $70,000 a year for one senior finance position, figures analysed by the Weekend Herald show.

But overall, workers in the capital came out on top in accounting, finance, banking, human resources, information technology and sales and marketing.

The global Robert Walters Salary Survey 2012 looked at last year's salaries and made predictions for this year for more than 120 positions — including permanent, interim and contract work — in the country's two biggest cities. Of the 106 comparable positions, Aucklanders earned more in just 21.

Employment experts said reasons for the divide included Government workers — the majority based in Wellington — being "more loyal" than those in the private sector which meant they had more pay rises.

In the accounting and finance and banking and financial services sectors, a commercial manager can earn up to $70,000 more in Auckland while a financial controller can earn $40,000 extra. Several New Zealand banks' head offices are in Auckland, including BNZ, ASB and HSBC.

In sales and marketing, a communications manager in Wellington can expect up to $40,000 more than an Aucklander while human resources consultants may see up to $50,000 more in their pay cheque.

A manager in IT can command up to $30,000 more in Wellington than someone in the same job in Auckland.

Secretarial and business support workers earned similar wages in the two cities.

The managing director of recruiting company Hays, Jason Walker, who is in Auckland, said more companies' head offices with their highly paid executives were based in Wellington to be close to the Government departments they serviced.

Those in the civil service tended to stay in their jobs longer.

"In Auckland there's a lot more immigration, there's a lot more transient workforce than we see in the Wellington region," Mr Walker said.

"The majority of work down there is Government. Government employees tend to be a lot more loyal than the private sector."

"In terms of tenure, you might have somebody on a significantly higher package than they might be if they moved into a similar type of role for the first time."

Wellington-based senior consultant Daina Edmonds of Kinetic Recruitment, which has offices in both cities, put the differences down to the recent merging of Government departments in Wellington.

The moves had seen several contractors hired during the transition, she said.

"Like with most contractors, you can typically get a higher salary for a shorter period of time."

Tale of two cities: Where to get the best pay packet

Accounting and finance

• Financial controller — Auckland $120,000-$200,000, Wellington $120,000-$170,000
  • Commercial manager — Auckland $110,000-$200,000, Wellington $100,000-$130,000
  • Tax accountant — Auckland $80,000-100,000, Wellington $100,000-$140,000
  • Auditor — Auckland $50,000-$65,000, Wellington $60,000-$85,000

Banking and financial services

• Financial controller (6+ years experience) — Auckland $120,000-$180,000, Wellington $90,000-$140,000
  • Product controller — Auckland $85,000-$130,000, Wellington $90,000-$140,000
  • Fund administrator — Auckland $40,000-$55,000, Wellington $50,000-$60,000

Sales and marketing

• National sales manager — Auckland $120,000-$150,000, Wellington $110,000-$180,000
  • Business development manager — Auckland $80,000-$110,000, Wellington $60-$150,000
  • Communications manager — Auckland $90,000-$110,000, Wellington $80,000-$150,000
  • Marketing manager — Auckland $100,000-$130,000, Wellington $85,000-$150,000

Information technology

• Project manager (5+years experience) — Auckland $110,000-$125,000, Wellington $100,000-$140,000
  • Manager IT operations — Auckland $100,000-$120,000, Wellington $120,000-$150,000
  • Help desk/desktop support/apps support (3-5 years experience) — Auckland $55,000-$65,000, Wellington $55,000-$80,000

Human resources

• HR manager — Auckland $90,000-$150,000, Wellington $110,000-$175,000
  • Recruitment manager — Auckland $80,000-$120,000, Wellington $95,000-$130,000
  • HR consultant — Auckland $70,000-$100,000, Wellington $85,000-$150,000
  • HR advisor — Auckland $60,000-$85,000, Wellington $70,000-$110,000

Secretarial and business support

• Executive assistant — Auckland, $55,000-$90,000, Wellington $60,000-$85,000
  • Office manager — Auckland $48,000-$75,000, Wellington $55,000-$80,000
  • Receptionist — Auckland $31,000-$42,000, Wellington $31,000-$45,000

Check the survey:

New Zealand Salary Survey 2012 (PDF document)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10819490
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10832532

So don't hate us cos we're beautiful Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »

I only go up there because the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra doesn't play in Masterton or Wellington.

And if the Vector Wellington Orchestra performed more than four subscription concerts per year, I probably wouldn't bother with the APO at all.

One of the reasons the VWO only perform four subscription concerts per year is because the APO grab the majority of the arts funding for regional orchestras. And the greedy buggers want to grab an even higher percentage of the arts funding available for regional orchestras and shut the NZSO out of their patch.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 08:05:13 am »

Auckland wins top billing ... twice
By Michael Dickison 5:30 AM Tuesday Sep 25, 2012

Travel guide describes City of Sails as being 'geographically blessed' and with a 'vibrant Polynesian culture'

Auckland is noted for its thriving dining, drinking and live-music scene. Photo / Greg Bowker In the eyes of Lonely Planet, Auckland is No 1 and No 2.

The travel guide released its latest New Zealand edition yesterday, with a list of the country's 20 top experiences.

"It's hard to imagine a more geographically blessed city," the guide says about Auckland.

"Is there another 1.4-million-strong city with access to two oceans and such vibrant Polynesian culture?"

At the top of Lonely Planet's list was Auckland Harbour and the Hauraki Gulf. Second was urban Auckland.

The city was ranked ahead of tourism spots, such as Queenstown, Milford Sound, Waitomo Caves and the Bay of Islands.

"Auckland isn't your average metropolis," the guide says. "It's regularly rated one of the world's most liveable cities, and while it's never going to challenge NYC or London in the excitement stakes, it's blessed with good beaches, flanked by wine regions and has a large enough population to support a thriving dining, drinking and live-music scene.

"Cultural festivals are celebrated with gusto in this ethnically diverse city, which has the distinction of having the world's largest Pacific Island population."

The guide even recommends a two-week itinerary to its readers based entirely in the city (Auckland Encounter), though it suggests options for activities "within easy reach of the big smoke", such as surfing at Raglan.

When told that Auckland had taken the top two places, leaving his town third, Rotorua Mayor Kevin Winters said: "Wow, that's amazing."

His exclamation was not Auckland's high ranking, but that his town was right up there with it.

"It's hard for us to compete with Auckland. Auckland is going to beat us hands down with international visitors because of the airport."

The Bay of Plenty district had recently refocused its tourism strategy - and it was surprising the efforts had been so quickly recognised.

But Lonely Planet had still got Rotorua's placing wrong, he said.

"Number one, mate. But I'm biased."

The travel guide noted that Auckland Council was trying to clean up the "mess" that is Auckland's public transport system.

Lonely Planet's NZ experiences

1) Auckland Harbour, Hauraki Gulf
2) Urban Auckland
3) Geothermal Rotorua
4) Wellington
5) Kaikoura
6) Franz Josef, Fox Glaciers
7) Waitomo Caves
Cool Bay of Islands
9) Tongariro Alpine Crossing
10) Rugby
11) Abel Tasman National Park
12) Maori culture
13) Otago Peninsula
14) Heaphy Track
15) Central Otago
16) Skiing and snowboarding
17) Queenstown
18) Milford Sound
19) TranzAlpine
20) Akaroa and Banks Peninsula

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10836323

So Wellington is at 4, Otago Peninsula is at 13 and poor Christchurch doesn't make the list but then neither does Hamilton or Nelson.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:39 pm »

So.....what is the weather going to be like in JAFAville over the next few days until Sunday evening?

Warm or cold?

Blue skies or cloudy?

Fine or wet?

Or all options of the above?
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2012, 09:56:11 pm »

Yes Roll Eyes...........was that a trick question Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

Yes Roll Eyes...........was that a trick question Wink

Go back to sleep, clown.

Or go back to if that is what you were already doing.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2012, 06:22:00 am »

20% chance of rain today, 40% chance of rain on Friday, otherwise fine for the weekend

Dunno why you are asking really. Don't you have weather this good down south?
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2012, 08:30:18 am »

Down south it is clear blue skies and sunshine.

I just wanted to know whether or not to pack an umbrella and warm jacket.

I don't trust weather forecasters so sometimes a bit of local knowlege is more accurate.

Never mind, it's too late now....I'm already on a train enroute to Wellington.

Catching a flight from Welly this afternoon (I couldn't be bothered getting up at the crack of dawn to catch a direct flight from Masterton).
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2012, 10:22:09 am »

If you bring a brolly, you won't need it.

If you don't...no guarentees Wink the weather changes fast - something to do with the narrow land mass.

It was pretty warm up here last night and I haven't used a jacket all week if that is of any help.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2012, 12:01:54 pm »

I hedged my bets and chucked an umbrella and a down vest in the suitcase.

At Wellington Airport now, taking advantage of their FREE WiFi (those tightarses at Auckland Airport make you pay for WiFi connection to the internet).

There's free WiFi all through downtown Wellington and along the waterfront too, unlike Auckland where once again you have to pay.

And even the airport buses in Wellington have free WiFi onboard.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2012, 10:43:27 am »

What has happened to all the whities in Auckland?

Late last month, while walking down Queen Street in Auckland, I counted the white faces coming the other way between Wellesley Street and Victoria Street.

I must have passed at least 500-600 pedestrians walking in the opposite direction, yet only managed to spot NINE white faces!

Are honkies becoming an extinct breed in Auckland?   

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2012, 10:56:37 am »

It depends on which part of Auckland - yes the CBD is a "flat white" zone. If you looked at around 4:30-5pm you would see more but not many.

Much of Auckland the european skinned Pakeha content is around the 60% mark. In some places it is as high as 80% but in more suburbs it is closer to 20-30%.

I live in a Maori, Pakeha, Samoan, Tongan area. Browns' Bay has a high South African and Korean population.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2013, 10:47:12 am »

- Got myself a new Jack Russell puppy, he's mainly black and brown with a small white patch, so I've named him Auckland . 

Yes, I know that is from the humour thread but I couldn't let that go without mentioning the Saint Bernard the lived at Beach Haven petrol station when I was a kid.

He had lots of wind, hot air and drool all of which he would share with you by sticking his head into any open passenger's window. I am pretty sure that given his size that he wasn't short on piss either.

His name? Wellington.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »

ROSEMARY McLEOD: Keep your flash and trash — the capital's just fine

The Dominion Post | 12:03AM - Thursday, 13 June 2013

ROSEMARY MCLEOD: No Botox here.
ROSEMARY MCLEOD: No Botox here.

THERE IS a compelling reason for living in Wellington that has not occurred to the prime minister, who says we're dying, or most of the Government: It is not Auckland.

Hence we do not, en masse, Botox. Wellington women have lips that look like mouths, not bee-stung baboons' bottoms, and eyes that crinkle when we smile, not stretched skin that makes people wonder, but hesitate to timidly inquire, whether perhaps the old dear has had skin grafts after serious burns.

Older women here don't have eyes that seem to be propped open with invisible matchsticks, they can actually use their faces to smile, and they don't do mahogany suntans upon which to dangle sparkly baubles with the conspicuous brand name of the week.

We might wear clothes more than once too.

We do not have Paritai Drive, that exercise in breathtaking ugliness, obscene obsolescence, venal vulgarity, all-round tastelessness and precious pretentiousness. Even our most expensive streets are a mixture of cheaper and costlier housing, which makes them more interesting and more human to live in.

We quietly ignore the irritating nouveau riche here who occasionally build costly houses in imitation Roman villas, guarded by concrete urn-clutchers clad in concrete togas in a manner best described as low camp. We avert our gaze from such, whereas in Auckland crowds gather to clap.

We do not have a City of Sails, all white and glittery blocks of flats and motionless yachts, for the poor to gaze at and hope one day to clean the lavatories of if they are very, very good.

We have a harbour that's lovely enough on its own, especially with the snow-topped Rimutakas and Tararuas as a backdrop — and they are, as yet, not for sale to foreign investors.

We have rich people who tend not to flash their fortunes in front of everyone, preferring to flash at each other instead, in the privacy of their own homes.

Here, we live in our homes because the weather is not disgustingly sultry. Aucklanders mostly photograph theirs for the property pages, and their favourite pastime is comparing real estate values, which makes for dull conversation.

We are not BMW-ed and Merc-ed out, like Auckland, despite having embassies in the city that like to cling to emblems of the bigger world they come from.

Surely, we say, they are more often the calling card of the parvenu, but we have our share of four-wheel-drive vehicles, so necessary for taking kids to school in the morning, driving to bridge clubs and taking kids to tennis lessons, and possibly giving the spoodle a ride in.

As for the outdoors, there is no beach in Auckland quite as glamorous as Oriental Bay on a fine day, fine days being appreciated all the more here because they come so seldom. Any more often and they'd be irritating.

We don't, as yet, have miles of honeycombed apartment blocks in which to trap unwary Asians who are, as Aucklanders believe, keen on living the way they formerly did in cities of millions where families have to live in shoe boxes. We have some of these unlovable buildings, admittedly. Even paradise makes mistakes.

Our mayor rides a bicycle through traffic that is not permanently gridlocked, which is quaint. We have the Chow brothers too, who are quaint in a different way. They've taught us a thing or two about brothel-keeping, and are expanding their kingdom into Auckland.

This will delight Aucklanders who, lacking a city's heart of any kind, are about to build a vast gambling setup and convention centre to go with it, which they hope will do the trick. The Chows are to build a 15-storey hotel and brothel over the road — and there you have it. Auckland. You can keep it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington-report/8786899/Keep-your-flash-and-trash-the-capitals-just-fine
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2013, 12:16:53 pm »

Mcleod forgot to mention Wellingtons flash and trash

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8799082/Up-skirt-voyeur-a-Jehovahs-Witness
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »

SEAN PLUNKET: Even if the chips are down, capital appeals as safer bet

The Dominion Post | 1:33PM - Saturday, 06 June 2013

AS PART OF my new job at RadioLive I spend one week a month in Auckland, a prospect I didn't relish when signing up for the gig but better than having to up sticks and move north to secure a nationwide radio position.

Being 25 per cent JAFA for the past four months hasn't been as bad as I imagined, partly because I have a friend who has a spare room in a lovely waterfront apartment, and partly because it is interesting to make comparisons between the city I call home and the prime minister calls dying, and the city that eats a fair chunk of my taxes and Winston Peters calls the city of sin.

First up John Key and Mr Peters are both wrong. Wellington isn't dying and Auckland isn't a cesspit of gambling, prostitution and crime. But that said, there are some big differences between the two metropoli (or is that metropolisses).

First up their airports. Auckland's is definitely bigger and generally a little more comfortable to land at, but Wellington's is much closer to its CBD and my house. A fare of $20 to $25 will get me to "Wild at Heart" but if I'm travelling by cab it's $80 to $100 to get into Auckland from Mangere.

Whether you are bussing or cabbing, the Auckland trip is going to take you at least twice as long. I allow an hour to be on the safe side when heading for a flight in Auckland but in Wellington you can go round the bays or through the tunnel and you'll be there in 25 minutes or less. So, on logistics, Wellington wins hands down.

I don't always drive in Auckland but there are significant differences when I do.

First up is parking. I'm constantly getting pinged in Wellington by our blue-clad junior security guards who circle like vultures with their chalk and ticket machines. I've never actually noticed a parking warden in Auckland, there seem to be plenty of spots and I'm as slack at feeding the meter there as in the capital. Despite that, I've yet to get a ticket in the Queen City — a big tick for Len Brown's municipality.

Auckland's drivers aren't any better or worse than Wellington's, there are just more of them. There is more money in the City of Sails and that is reflected in its vehicle fleet. Like Queen Street's pedestrians, its motor vehicles are younger and better turned out.

One thing Wellington doesn't have is a casino, which by my reckoning is no bad thing. SkyCity doesn't just dominate Auckland's skyline, it also seems to have marked out a dominant position in the commercial life of the city.

That is fine if you're one of the media presenters who has been co- opted as a SkyCity ambassador or you like feeding the pokies, not so great if you're a kid waiting in the car park or a problem gambler.

I was up there for the announcement of the U-turn on the rail loop last week and joked to a friend that the casino would probably pay for it if it could get a station and put a couple of one-armed bandits in each carriage.

I opened the paper next morning to find I was half right and I reckon by 2020 we will all be outraged at children riding round and round on the loop while mum and dad are in the casino.

No comparison of our largest and third-largest cities would be complete without mentioning race, and there is no getting round it, Auckland has far more Asians.

Yes, Winston, you're right — there are rather more people of different ethnicities (particularly Asian) than anywhere else in New Zealand but they don't appear to be kidnapping each other, running sweat shops, robbing banks or selling their bodies in any greater numbers than anyone else.

Perhaps the single biggest difference I find in Auckland is its local body politics. Whichever suburbs my friends are from they all know who their mayor is — Len Brown. In general they feel when Len wins Auckland wins, even if they didn't vote for him.

I don't get that feeling in Wellington, perhaps because we haven't been winning enough lately or maybe because, despite our smaller size, we just can't get together and ask loudly enough with one voice.

Let's hope we can fix that because as much as I'm enjoying my time north of the Bombays, Auckland will never truly be home.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/columnists/sean-plunket/8886369/Even-if-the-chips-are-down-capital-appeals-as-safer-bet
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2015, 07:12:12 pm »

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ Oh happy days… ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Got my annual rates bill from the District Council today…

…an increase of $13.41 more than last year.

Bugger....I'll be able to afford two less handles of beer at the boozer 'round the corner over the next 12 months…

…eat your hearts out, JAFAs! 

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ tra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la… ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #146 on: July 16, 2015, 06:18:19 am »

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ Oh happy days… ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Got my annual rates bill from the Auckland Council today....

$600 more than last year..

How many less handles of beer will the tenants be able to afford at the boozer around their corner over the next 12 months Wink

And the property value went up $85,000 Grin

eat your heart out Musturtunarians

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ tra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la… ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #147 on: July 16, 2015, 11:14:03 am »

When the bubble bursts, you'll get hurt.

Whereas I won't give a stuff, because I'm not planning to sell this property before I kark it.
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »

Bubble?.....What bubble? Wink

Yes ...I agree..it would be a public health hazard to any unwitting residents to reside where you had resided Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:15 am »

When the Auckland property market bubble bursts (or another volcano erupts in the Auckland volcanic field), I'll get in the beer & popcorn and watch the show on TV.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: