Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:41:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Any suggestions for a 60th wedding gift

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for a 60th wedding gift  (Read 1339 times)
Magoo
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:22 am »

We have a 60th to attend for my aunt and uncle  in a couple of weeks and trying to think of a gift is a real chore.    What on earth do you get for a couple who live in the same  beautiful home with 60years of "stuff" in it.     Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:07 am »

Grin  Diamonds you goose.

Oh, OK, if you're going to be tight fisted about it then  Tongue

Diamond cut crystal - maybe a decanter, or set of wine glasses.
A 'diamond' themed gift hamper - boxes and packages shaped in the shape of a diamond.
Diamond patterned place mats or vase or whatever (sorry - gets a bit vague there 'cos I don't know their 'style'.

My grandparents were married 75 years.  What ever you do, make sure what you give is what you can cope with when they decide to give back all their 'stuff'.  My 95 year old grandmother has been doing this for the last 5 or 6 years and people are starting to regret buying her and her husband some of the stuff they thought was a good idea at the time. 
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:13:19 am »

Concert tickets? Perhaps a voucherfor a nice restaraunt.

Tear fund run a campaign www.giftforlife.co.nz where you donate on a person's behalf as a 'gift' for both if they are into that.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:56 am »

Oh, OK, if you're going to be tight fisted about it then 

You mean like the bunch of silverbeet we got from son for our 25th Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:02 am »

Grin  Well you have set me on the right track but not much point giving them silver beet.  My uncle has a huge garden. Grin 
That gift for life sounds interesting...   even in their advancing  years they do vollie work as they are both elders in the church and do meals on wheels etc.
DT I know what you mean... gifts in our family are boomerangs too and I do keep that in mind.  They do like to eat out and yes I am tighter than a ducks bum except when it comes to this pair.   They treat me like a daughter rather than a neice.
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:35:51 am »

Oh, OK, if you're going to be tight fisted about it then 

You mean like the bunch of silverbeet we got from son for our 25th Wink

Shocked

One should always remember that 'what goes around, comes around'.  My kids try that and they are going to be getting lambs fry for Christmas for a very long time.  I hate silverbeet.  Mr DT and I are spinach eaters.  Silverbeet is like the anti-comfort food from childhood.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:42:06 am »

And was it boiled for about half an hour and a wee bit like leather?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:00:48 am »

Lips sealed Yeah - and bitter. 

Parsnips and brussel sprouts have the same effect on me.  Hate the bloody things.

Son loves nana coming down because she will buy and cook them for him.  I keep reminding him that this is the same woman who poisoned me to them but he won't listen.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:39 am »

I don't mind the 'snips roasted and I used to hate brussel sprouts until I had them rolled in a rasher of bacon and baked.     Next time you are doing a roast and nana is there chuck a couple in the roasting pan for about 30 mins.   They lose that strong sprout flavour.     I use the honey cured streaky strips.    Premier brand I think it is called.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:41 pm »

We have a 60th to attend for my aunt and uncle  in a couple of weeks and trying to think of a gift is a real chore.    What on earth do you get for a couple who live in the same  beautiful home with 60years of "stuff" in it.     Roll Eyes

what about a Rose Bush .....

Anniversary Std 90cm   

Lasting Love Std 90cm

The Wedding Rose

Valentine Heart Std 90cm

White Romance Std

http://www.wairere.co.nz/index.mvc

diamond anniversary rose ...

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/classicroses/hybrid_tea.html

http://www.diacks.co.nz/PAGES/Rose%20Catalogue.pdf
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:30:35 am »

Oh EXCELLENT suggestions NF.  Well done you. 
Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged
TokGal
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:03:39 pm »

What about a weekend away, swish hotel, all the trimmings?
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:39:29 pm »

I had thought of that TokGal but my aunt has recently had quite a major op so probably doesn't feel like going far at this stage.  She still isn't back to her church group or visiting circle yet and since she is 84 I guess healing is a little longer.   I am putting money in their card so if there is something on their wish list they can also do that.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 11:19:33 am »

Money in a card is not a silly idea.

I gave my parents a gift voucher for the vehicular ferry service to Waiheke for their 40th annaversery. Just enough to get them and their car across and back. They used it recently for a weekend away.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:54 pm »

Hi Sweetpea.     I would have got a dinner voucher or something but they live in a different town so can't organise that so some cash can get them something they want.      I bet your parents enjoyed their trip.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: