Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:38:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The Cannabis Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cannabis Thread  (Read 3904 times)
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:26 am »

My doctor agrees but is unwilling to put his head on the block..
In many cases the possible damage use would cause is far less than the pharmacuticals being used an or the fact that often the maladay the sufferer has is severe enough that any possible damage would not make any difference and would in fact make what life remains much more bearable for the sufferer.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Magoo
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:32 am »

or the fact that often the maladay the sufferer has is severe enough that any possible damage would not make any difference and would in fact make what life remains much more bearable for the sufferer.
  My point exactly in which case any means to ease suffering should be applied in my view.      Recreational use is the one I have a problem with.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 10:10:56 am »

Cannabis indica in its medical form comes in liquid or pillules.  Only the thc is extracted.  Same as with opium, patients arnt given the poppy to slice and scrape.

Anything, eggs, coffee, shellfish, alcohol or avocados can be dangerous if taken to extent.

As Ive said before - thc does not take away the pain - like opiates do - it relaxes the system - the pain becomes more bearable.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 09:57:33 am »

Grass is greener when it's filling the coffers

Before he was Governor of America's most populous and wealthy state, before he was the Terminator, Arnold Schwarzenegger was a refreshingly candid, self-promoting bodybuilder, with a will of iron and a taste for hedonism.

Thus, when he suggested this week that it was time for Californians to have "an open debate" on "whether to legalise and tax marijuana for recreational use," it was hard not to think of a more youthful governor, taking a big hit on a joint in the 1977 bodybuilding documentary Pumping Iron.

He later told GQ: "That is not a drug. It's a leaf."

The Governor wants to put everything on the table. Polls suggest Americans are interested in having this conversation. An ABC News Washington Post poll in April said 46 per cent favoured legalising small amounts of marijuana, more than double the number in favour 12 years ago.

A Zogby Poll in May said 52 per cent supported legalising marijuana as a taxed, regulated substance. And a Field Poll in April said 56 per cent of registered voters in California also favoured legalisation.

AdvertisementAdvertisement

But the word that jumps out from Schwarzenegger's comment - and one that may be reshaping the decades-old debate on the pros and cons of a drug still categorised by federal statutes as a Schedule 1 substance - is tax. Could it be that after endless talk about the drug's health, social and public safety impacts, the question of whether or not to legitimise marijuana will come down to the pragmatic question: how much money can we make?

This is not a happy time in California. The state is broke, US$60 billion ($101 billion) in the hole and counting. Yet partisan politics make the prospect of raising money via taxes close to zero.

When the going gets tough, the tough get creative. In March, Nevada considered whether to tax prostitutes, but baulked 3-4 at a US$5 tax on sex acts. California is now pondering whether the illicit leaf might green empty state coffers.

The drug is routinely described in media reports as California's biggest cash crop, a claim the Los Angeles Times queried in April with the headline: "Is pot the biggest cash crop? Only if you're on drugs."

And with good reason: no one knows for sure how much the state's illicit marijuana market is worth. The usual guesstimate is US$14 billion. The national figure is cited as US$100 billion. Given marijuana is illegal it is reasonable to assume sellers inflate the price.

The US$14 billion figure comes from Jon Gettman, the former president of the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. Oddly, it is based on a tonnage estimate from the Bush White House of 10,000 metric tonnes, about triple the figure routinely used by federal authorities.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10571261&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:40 am »

ALCP Candidate - State Interference in By-Election

Sunday, 10 May 2009, 9:07 pm
Press Release: Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party 
State Interference in By-Election

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0905/S00128.htm

Police continued their interference in the Mt Albert by-election by arresting ALCP candidate Dakta Green for the fourth time in a fortnight. ALCP believe that Police are persecuting Dakta Green because of his political position. ALCP wrote to the NZ Police asking for an explanation for their continued harassment of Dakta Green. No response was forthcoming.

Dakta Green was again arrested at 11pm on Friday night. NORML's Cannabus was entered illegally and Dakta Green was assaulted and shoved to the ground before police identified themselves. Dakta Green was processed for 6 hours before being allowed to rest in the cells. Police have continually tried to oppose bail for Dakta Green. Thankfully the court system and Justices of the Peace have seen Dakta Green for what he is, a political activist not a criminal, and granted him bail.

The ALCP has contested every general election since MMP was introduced. Never before has one of its candidates faced repeated arrest for supporting Cannabis Law Reform. The actions of the Police are nonsensical, arguably unlawful and are deliberate acts of state interference in a political campaign.

"A number of young people who had gathered to hear about the Mt Albert campaign were dragged off the bus and searched on the street. This humiliating treatment of our citizens highlights the ongoing evils of cannabis prohibition," says Dakta Green. "While Police resources were unnecessarily tied up processing me for 6 hours, the Cannabus was broken into and burgled on Queen St"

Given that the police continue to derail the democratic process in New Zealand and refuse to return correspondence to the ALCP, the party is left with no option but to consider legal action. These are serious breaches of state political neutrality and as such the ALCP has made an official complaint to the Minister of Police.

State interference in a by-election is illegal. The ALCP takes this attack on the party very seriously. The ALCP are strongly urging Police to cease and desist the war of attrition against the ALCP least they want to find themselves on the wrong side of the law. It is not illegal to support Cannabis Law Reform or to stand for parliament on such a platform.

Supporters are invited to attend Auckland District Court on Albert St at 10 am on Monday the 11th of May to show solidarity with Dakta Green. The Police Prosecutor is seeking to have Dakta Green's bail revoked resulting in his incarceration until August.

STOP ARRESTING DAKTA GREEN and the thousands of other innocent cannabis users in New Zealand.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:25 am »

Yeh well that shows how little some have moved in the last 30 odd years - quite laughable really interrogating omeone for 6 hours??  About what??

Typical over reaction -

Here we see the cops operating outside their jurisdiction - not surprising really.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 07:04:58 pm »

Government runs nation's only legal pot garden

Here, in what could be called the Fort Knox of dope, Mahmoud ElSohly waits patiently as an assistant unlocks the stainless steel door to a climate-controlled vault.

Once inside, under the gaze of security cameras and a blinking motion sensor, another scientist pries open the lid of a large cardboard barrel, opens a large plastic bag and digs his hand into the vat of meticulously manicured marijuana.

We are in the Coy W. Waller Laboratory Complex on the campus of the University of Mississippi, getting a look at the only legal marijuana farm and production facility in the United States. This is the government's "cannabis drug repository."

This is the government's stash.

Since 1968, the National Institute on Drug Abuse has contracted with the university lab to grow, harvest and process marijuana and to ship it to licensed facilities across the country for research purposes. The lab also collects samples of marijuana seized by police to determine its potency and to document national drug trends.

Like a cask in a wine cellar, this barrel of marijuana is marked with the year of vintage. It is one of many in the room. ElSohly, the director of the lab, guesses that it holds 10 to 15 kilos, or about 22 to 33 pounds, of impeccably clean "product."  Watch what the government's growing »

How much would this be worth on the street?

"A lot," he answers.

He's not being evasive. It's just that the value of the marijuana, like the gold at Fort Knox, fluctuates wildly. And like the government gold, it is not for sale. So the question is academic and of little concern.

But the security of the operation is of obvious concern.

Earlier, amid blazingly green plants in the facility's grow room, ElSohly gave us a Cliffs Notes rundown of the facility's security.

"Within this building right here," he said, "we have seven different alarm systems. We have camera systems. We have cameras in this room." Cameras, an aide tells us, that are monitored by the Drug Enforcement Agency in suburban Washington.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/18/government.marijuana.garden/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
Report Spam   Logged

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 07:47:07 am »

Can Cannabis-Based Drugs Slow the H1N1 "Swine Flu" Pandemic?

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic Thursday, raising its pandemic warning from phase 5 to 6, making swine flu the first global flu epidemic in 41 years. Now that H1N1 "Swine Flu" has been elevated to pandemic status, with reports of outbreaks in Asia, the Middle East and Europe, San Francisco, USA-based Cannabis Science Inc. (OTCBB: CBIS) CEO Steven Kubby urges public health officials around the world to "take medical cannabis seriously."

According to the company, which specializes in cannabis research and development for medical purposes, the world may have at its disposal a means of combating the affects of this deadly disease. Dr. Robert J. Melamede, Director and Chief Science Officer for CSI reports, "Research into use of whole cannabis extracts and multi-cannabinoid compounds has provided the scientific rationale for medical marijuana’s efficacy in treating some of the most troubling diseases mankind now faces, including infectious diseases such as the flu and HIV, autoimmune diseases such as ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease), multiple sclerosis, arthritis, and diabetes, neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's, stroke and brain injury, as well as numerous forms of cancer."

Dr. Melamede went on to say, "The high lethality of some strains of flu can be attributed to the excessive inflammatory response driven by Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF). Endocannabinoids are nature’s way of controlling TNF activity. Phytocannabinoids can mimic the natural endocannabinoids to prevent excessive inflammatory immune responses."

Upon hearing that WHO had elevated the swine flu to pandemic status, CSI's CEO Steve Kubby said, "Governments all over the world ought to seriously consider the advantages of medical cannabis."

On Wednesday, WHO said 74 countries had reported nearly 27,737 cases of swine flu, including 141 deaths. There are over 90 confirmed cases in the United States, with reports of infections in 11 states, and one U.S. fatality, a 23 month old child in Texas. Symptoms include a high fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat and severe respiratory congestion.

Chief Science Officer for CSI Dr. Melamede believes the potential for cannabinoids that naturally prevent excessive inflammatory immune responses is enormous. He stated, "Based upon recent discoveries regarding the role that endocannabinoid system plays in maintaining human health, we may have a unique solution to the looming threat posed by deadly influenza strains that we believe, if implemented, could save millions of lives."

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090611005958&newsLang=en
Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 03:07:13 am »

The side effects are the munchies and laughing all the way to the fridge.
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 08:48:44 am »

I used to take a fair bit of (ahem)...glaucoma medicine in my younger years......... these days my eyes are fine except for special occasions like a live rock concert..... or entertaining a semi comatose young dollybird here and there bwahahahaha!!!......
  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 09:29:22 am »

The side effects are the munchies and laughing all the way to the fridge.

LOL Benny -- you should know better than to try and tell this lot anything like that - theyve been reading the Readers Digest for too many years.
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 03:38:09 pm »

STOP ARRESTING DAKTA GREEN and the thousands of other innocent cannabis users in New Zealand.

why he openly breaks the Law ... as do others

next people will be baying to have anyone who rapes drink drivers who drive who murder someone who assaults others who use and sell P burgle  not arrested

the Law is the Law get over it and grow up

break the law and the law reacts ..

plain and bloody simple ...

if you need to smoke pot to have a good time its shows how sad your life must be to start with ...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:23:35 pm by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 04:18:46 pm »

Whenever people are for gay marriage or marijuana or assisted suicide, suddenly the 'will of the people' goes out the window.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 04:22:51 pm »

Marijuana is a shit load better than drink... the laws are very backwards in this regard, but its only because you can grow the green stuff at home yourself (which is nontaxable).....
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2009, 05:24:18 am »

Well i would rather have MJ for my back pain that the pills they gave me to take...vicodin which made me feel sick to my stomach and also made me very tense....so then they put me on percocet.....then i knew enough was enough try coming off those mother fucken drugs...which i has been over 2 weeks now it was my choice to come off them i am having steriod injections in the spine on the 22nd of this month hope to be pain free....So i have a little MJ when the pain is bad it relaxes my body and gets me moving which is good i can go for a walk and i do....The MJ has done more good for me than the Narc's i was on and i can tell you coming off them was no easy thing to do but i am so happy i did.
Report Spam   Logged

I know how i am and your approval isn't needed
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2009, 09:23:27 am »

Absolutely Relaxed - I would be going up the walls if I had to rely on the painkillers Im given. 
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:10 am »

Man left cannabis care details for housesitter

Hawea man was fined $750 in the Queenstown District Court yesterday, after leaving his housesitter a note instructing him how to look after his (the housesitter's) cannabis plants.

John Jervis Turner, 42, guide, of Hawea, admitted to possessing equipment for cultivating cannabis on March 18.

Police prosecutor Grant Gerken said two cannabis plants and a large amount of hydroponic equipment were found by police in a shed behind Turner's house.

The occupant was housesitting while Turner was on a skiing holiday and faces charges relating to cannabis cultivation.

But Turner was implicated by way of owning the equipment after leaving the detailed note outlining how use it.

"It was a note for caring for the animals and clear instructions for growing cannabis."

Defence lawyer Michael Newell said Turner was also a tenant and the equipment had belonged to previous Canadian tenants.

But Mr Newell conceded Turner was aware of the equipment's purpose and was kicking himself for being so stupid.

- The Southland Times

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2503158/Man-left-cannabis-care-details-for-housesitter

DOH!
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 09:32:09 am »

OOps -- its a weed - leave it alone  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 10:31:04 am »

Support for legalising marijuana growing in US

The savage drug war in Mexico, crumbling state budgets and weariness with current drug policy are kindling unprecedented optimism among the many Americans who want to see marijuana legalised.

Doing so, they contend to an ever-more-receptive audience, could weaken the Mexican cartels now profiting from US pot sales, save billions in law enforcement costs, and generate billions more in tax revenue from one of the nation's biggest cash crops.

Said a veteran of the movement, Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance: "This is the first time I feel like the wind is at my back and not in my face."

Foes of legalisation argue that already-rampant pot use by adolescents would worsen if adults could smoke at will.

Even the most hopeful marijuana activists doubt nationwide decriminalisation is imminent, but they see the debate evolving dramatically and anticipate fast-paced change on the state level.

"For the most part, what we've seen over the past 20 years has been incremental," said Norm Stamper, a former police chief now active with Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. "What we've seen in the past six months is an explosion of activity, fresh thinking, bold statements and penetrating questions."

Some examples:

-Numerous prominent political leaders, including California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and former Mexican presidents, have suggested it is time for open debate on legalisation.

-Lawmakers in at least three states are considering joining the 13 states that have legalised pot for medical purposes. Massachusetts voters last fall decided to decriminalise possession of an ounce or less of pot; there are now a dozen states that have taken such steps.

-In Congress, Rep. Dennis Kucinich and Sen. Jim Webb are among several lawmakers contending that marijuana decriminalisation should be studied in re-examining what they deem to be failed US drug policy. "Nothing should be off the table," Webb said.

-National polls show close to half of American adults are now open to legalising pot - a constituency encompassing today's college students and the 60-something baby boomers who popularised the drug in their own youth. In California last month, a statewide Field Poll for the first time found 56 percent of voters supporting legalisation.

That poll pleased California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat who introduced a bill in February to legalise marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol - taxing sales to adults while barring possession by anyone under 21. Ammiano hopes for a vote by early next year and contends the bill would generate up to US$1.3 billion in revenue for his deficit-plagued state.

Ammiano, 67, said he has been heartened by cross-generational and bipartisan support.

"People who initially were very sceptical - as the polls come in, as the budget situation gets worse - are having a second look," he said. "Maybe these issues that have been treated as wedge issues aren't anymore. People know the drug war has failed."

A new tone on drug reform also has sounded more frequently in Congress.

At a House hearing last month, Rep. Steve Cohen challenged FBI Director Robert Mueller when Mueller spoke of parents losing their lives to drugs.

"Name me a couple of parents who have lost their lives to marijuana," Cohen said.

"Can't," Mueller replied.

"Exactly. You can't, because that hasn't happened," Cohen said. "Is there some time we're going to see that we ought to prioritise meth, crack, cocaine and heroin, and deal with the drugs that the American culture is really being affected by?"

In a telephone interview, Kucinich noted that both Obama and former President Bill Clinton acknowledged trying marijuana.

"Apparently that didn't stop them from achieving their goals in life," Kucinich said. "We need to come at this from a point of science and research and not from mythologies or fears."

Gil Kerlikowske, chief of the Office of National Drug Control Policy, has not endorsed the idea of an all-options review of drug policy, but he has suggested scrapping the "war on drugs" label and placing more emphasis on treatment and prevention. Attorney General Eric Holder has said federal authorities will no longer raid medical marijuana facilities in California.

Nonetheless, many opponents of pot legalisation remain firm in their convictions.

"We're opposed to legalisation or decriminalization of marijuana. We think it's the wrong message to send our youth," said Russell Laine, a police chief in Illinois and president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Marijuana - though considered one of the least harmful illegal drugs - consumes a vast amount of time and money on the part of law enforcement, accounting for more than 40 percent of drug arrests nationally even though relatively few pot-only offenders go to prison.

According to estimates by Harvard University economist Jeffrey Miron, legalisation of marijuana could save the country at least US$7.7 billion in law enforcement costs and generate more than US$6 billion in revenue if it were taxed like cigarettes and alcohol.

Pot usage is pervasive. The latest federal survey indicates that more than 100 million Americans have tried it at some point and more than 14 million used it in the previous month.

Testifying recently before Congress, Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard said US demand for pot is a key factor in the Mexican drug war.

"The violence that we see in Mexico is fuelled 65 percent to 70 percent by the trade in one drug: marijuana," he said. "I've called for at least a rational discussion as to what our country can do to take the profit out of that."

The US Drug Enforcement Agency remains on record against legalisation and medical marijuana, which it contends has no scientific justification.

"Legalisation of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety," says a DEA document. "It will create dependency and treatment issues, and open the door to use of other drugs, impaired health, delinquent behaviour, and drugged drivers."

The DEA also says marijuana is now at its most potent, in part because of refinements in cultivation.

Even in liberal Vermont, with the nation's highest rates of marijuana usage, many substance-abuse specialists are wary of legalisation.

Annie Ramniceanu, clinical director at Spectrum Youth and Family Services said her agency deals with scores of youths each year whose social development has been hurt by early and frequent pot smoking.

"They don't deal with anything," she said. "They never learned how to have fun without smoking pot, never learned how to deal with conflict."

Legalisation proponents acknowledge that pot use by adolescents is a major problem, but contend that decriminalising and regulating the drug would improve matters by shifting efforts away from criminal gangs.

"The notion that we have to keep something completely banned for adults to keep it away from kids doesn't hold up," said Bruce Mirken, communications director of the Marijuana Policy Project.

As for Obama, the activists don't expect him to embrace the cause at this point.

"Obama's got two wars, an economic disaster. We have to realise they're not going to put this on the front burner right now," said Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. "But every measurable metric out there is swinging our way."
http://www.3news.co.nz/Support-for-legalising-marijuana-growing-in-US/tabid/209/articleID/108736/cat/61/Default.aspx?ArticleID=108736
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »

Dam hydroponics i bought some smoke a month back nice looking head
nice smell
but try as i may although i smoked enough to make me cough.

Boohoo it  did not get me stoned  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 03:33:05 pm »

Yeh I never liked hydroponic for that very reason - mostly water which is what makes yah cough  Grin  sometimes a lil hit but it lasts about 5 minutes.  Never again.  Theres not a lot of that been around for some time.

If you take a lettuce thats hydro grown and leave it on the kitchen bench, when u wake in the morning its just a green mucky mess  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 09:27:51 am »

Absolutely Relaxed - I would be going up the walls if I had to rely on the painkillers Im given. 

what a crock of shit that statement is ..." I would be going up the walls if I had to rely on the painkillers Im given.   "

thats a dope heads war cry that is also the first thing a dope head says to justify their use of pot  ...

jeez next you will be advocating having a toke or two when women give birth ...

Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:58 am »

Actually NF dope is a great pain killer.
Especially for sore heads/migraines.

I really wish people would get "over it" and allow this plant to be used in medication...

And the only reason people 'dis' marijuana is because under the law it's illegal.
If alcohol was illegal then people would feel the same way about that as well.

The only bad thing I cant think of regarding marijuana is that with some people it sucks personal motivation, a few heavy users become 'stoners' who have problems motivating themselves and that has a detrimental impact on society.

But in saying that - hardcore drinkers I believe are even worse because they have the hangovers/alcohol poisoning to deal with each morning as well.

At least marijuana users don't become violent.
And wake up feeling fresh each morning ready for another day.

And asides from that, plant has so many health benefits it's not even funny.

The big drug companies are probably somehow behind the continued bans on it - if it was legal they wouldn't sell at least a 3rd of the drugs they currently do because people could just grow their own and look after themselves.

The laws are backwards.
Humans are strange...

Huh
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 01:21:40 pm »

World Drug Report: Who's using what

UN 2009 World Drug Report found that New Zealand and Australia have one of the highest rates of marijuana use in the world . Following is a summary of the report's main points:

Opium and heroin
Potential opium production declined 9.4% from 2007, prompted by a 19% decrease in poppy cultivation in the world's leading producer, Afghanistan.

Opium yields remained high compared to previous years because of continued instability in Afghanistan, where production was concentrated in the southern provinces where the Taliban is most active. Myanmar and Laos also were major producers.

Opium and heroin use appears to be stable in Europe, the most lucrative market for the drug, but increases have been reported in Eastern Europe.

Opiates remain the world's largest problem in terms of drug treatment, and the highest levels of use are found along the main trafficking routes through Iran and other countries that neighbor Afghanistan.

Roughly 0.3% to 0.5% of the global population used heroin or other opiates at least once in 2007. In Iran, that figure was 2.8%.

Retail heroin prices in Europe and the United States continued their long-term decline. In 2007, a gram of heroin cost $US131 in the United States and 52 euros in Europe.

Cocaine
Potential cocaine production fell 15% to 845 metric tons in 2008, spurred by a 28% decline in Colombia, the world's leading producer. Cultivation increased in Peru and Bolivia.

Significant declines in cocaine use were reported in the United States, the largest market. Cocaine use in Europe showed signs of leveling off after years of increase. Usage continued to increase in South America.

Retail prices increased in the United States in 2008 to $US120 per gram but continued to fall in Europe, to 67 euros per gram in 2007.

Between 0.4% and 0.5% of the global population used cocaine in 2007. Central America reported the highest usage figures at 2.3% of the population.

Marijuana
Marijuana was used at least once in 2007 by between 3.3% and 4.4% of the global population, making it the most popular illegal drug.

Usage was highest in Central America (10.5% of the population) and Australia/New Zealand (11%).

Marijuana use has gradually declined in the United States over the past decade and stabilized in Europe, but is increasing in Latin America, Asia and Africa.

Between 88,000 metric tons and 110,000 metric tons of marijuana was grown in 2008, but this estimate does not include important producers like Afghanistan, Jamaica and Nigeria. Precise estimates are difficult because the crop can be easily grown across much of the globe.

Methamphetamines and other synthetic stimulants
Between 0.4% and 1.2% of the global population used synthetic stimulants in 2007, though usage is difficult to assess accurately.

Methamphetamine users account for 54% to 59% of the total users of synthetic stimulants, followed by amphetamine (32% to 35%) and other stimulants (8% to 11%).

Methamphetamine is most popular in North America and Southeast Asia, but the increased number of countries reporting seizures suggest that it is increasing geographically.

Amphetamine use is stable or declining in Europe.

Production patterns can shift quickly as synthetic stimulants can be produced nearly anywhere at low cost.

The United States accounts for 82% of methamphetamine laboratory busts, but activity appears to be declining since stricter controls on precursor chemicals were put in place in 2005.

Industrial-scale operations in China, Myanmar and the Philippines appear to have grown in size and sophistication as organised crime groups get involved.

Organised crime groups have also set up large-scale operations in Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Global seizures of all synthetic stimulants were down slightly in 2007, but still up significantly since 2002.

Fake Captagon tablets, commonly containing caffeine and amphetamine, are popular in Saudi Arabia and other Middle East countries
http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/world-drug-report-s-using-2806141

On the link below is the 8MG report.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr/WDR_2009/WDR2009_eng_web.pdf
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

I saw a doco bout this place in the '80s, surrounded by just a normal fence, a couple of security people - but they never had any trouble with thefts.

Happy hops damage poppy crops

The mystery of crop circles which have appeared from time to time in and around Tasmania's legal opium poppy fields may have been solved.

It seems it is not aliens, but junkie wallabies hopping around in dazed circles - perhaps.

Poppies are grown in Tasmania for morphine that is used by the pharmaceutical industry to make pain control drugs.

But it appears humans are not the only ones who have discovered that the poppies contain narcotics.

Recently retired farmer Lyndley Chopping spent more than 30 years growing poppies and he has seen wallabies acting strangely in his fields.

"They would just come and eat some poppies and they would go away. They'd come back again and they would do their circle work in the paddock," he said.

"They seem to know when they've had enough. They'll still be around and they would leave them alone. It's hard to work out. Didn't seem to be any real pattern to their behaviour."

But the state's largest poppy producer, Tasmanian Alkaloids, has noticed a pattern in the wallabies' behaviour.

Rick Rockliff is the company's field operations manager.

"Often other forms of food are in short supply in late January/February and poppy capsules, half their weight is actually seed which is very nutritious. It's a seed you see on bread rolls and in bread mixtures and things like that," he said.

"But in the process of eating open the capsule it's quite possible they do ingest a little bit of the capsule material that does contain the alkaloids and this can have some short-term effect.

"They are, after all, a narcotic and ingested in big amounts it can have an effect."

But a wildlife vet isn't sure that the wallabies are getting stoned. Barry Wells is the animal welfare officer at the University of Tasmania.

"It's quite possible that they are being affected by them but other things can do it too," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/25/2608232.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: