Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:22:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The Cannabis Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cannabis Thread  (Read 3902 times)
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« on: April 12, 2009, 07:29:43 am »

Cannabis club tilts at the law
4:00AM Sunday Apr 12, 2009
By David Fisher

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10566272&ref=rss

Green and Borland. Photo / Doug SherringA club for cannabis smokers has been openly flouting the law for months, with hundreds of people a night turning up to buy and smoke dope.

The "Daktory" has been operating from an Auckland warehouse since November and boasts having 400 people on a busy night.

Those behind the scheme are involved in efforts to have the drug decriminalised, and say they accept arrest by police is a possible outcome of their provocative club.

One of those involved, Brian Borland, has taken a further tilt at authority by registering a business through the Companies Office called the Roaring Lion Cannabis Shoppe.

He says he will pay tax on any cannabis he sells through the business.

As a promotional stunt, Borland has delivered cannabis plants to the electorate office of Prime Minister John Key, and also to TVNZ and TV3.

It follows a trip around the country by the National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws group in its "canna-bus". Protests were held in centres across the country where cannabis was smoked - and overlooked by police.

Daktory manager Dakta Green, who changed his name by deed poll from Kenneth Morgan, says police appeared to have been avoiding arrests because it gave the protesters a platform to campaign from.

The club began operating in November, charging $20 a month to those who wanted to become members. "It was a nice, secure place where people can get good quality weed at a reasonable price."

Green says it proved so popular that the club - which was R18 - would attract between 300 and 400 people a night, and membership reached 1500 people by Christmas. He would not reveal where he sourced the cannabis but said the large membership meant a lot was sold.

It wound down in February for reorganisation, and is reopening this week. This time, Green says it will not sell cannabis because "you can get it anywhere".

When the Herald on Sunday visited, the warehouse featured dozens of sofas, tables and bookcases, with an area for table tennis and a bandstand. There were also dozens of bongs - used for smoking cannabis - and the occasional bowl containing shreds of the drug.

Borland said police were aware of his actions. A detective recently rang to invite him to a police station to be interviewed about delivering cannabis plants to television stations.

He answered the phone with a cheery "Roaring Lion Cannabis Shoppe", only to find a police officer on the phone.

Borland was not charged over delivering the cannabis plants. Police failed to return calls to answer questions about the club.

Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:40:21 am »

links:
http://www.norml.org.nz/posts6782-0.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.cannabus.org.nz/webapps/site/70042/113422/news/news-more.html?newsid=206388

The Daktory
(for inclusion in next Norml News)
The Daktory - the story so far
Readers who have followed the adventures of Maryjane the Cannabus may recall that she has a new home - the Daktory in West Auckland.
The Daktory was established as a club for friends and supporters of Maryjane, and as a space where members of the cannabis culture could get
together and enjoy all aspects of their favourite plant.
The club was launched on November 19, and by Christmas it had about 500 members. It continued to grow at a mind-boggling rate,
reaching over 1500 members by late January. The numbers became too great for the infrastructure of the club and the crew who were running it, to cope with.
Unfortunately, a couple of people who had volunteered to help run the club proved to be untrustworthy. In addition to physically and verbally
abusing other members, they even stole equipment and most of the club savings. Besides having its otherwise totally cool vibe poisoned, the Daktory was stripped of its liquid assets.
The only option was to close temporarily, analyse what went wrong and reopen the Daktory on a different basis. Complete with new rules
and systems in place to make sure that the early mistakes are not repeated the Daktory will reopen in April.
The concept of a cannabis club is an idea whose time has come - as demonstrated by the number of people who joined. Now it needs to be
determined how to make it work both as a service to members and as an effective force for law reform.

Maryjane continues to make regular Queen St appearances.

By the time you read this, Dakta Green and Dakta Fooz will have completed a year-long tour of New Zealand.
From Cape Reinga to Bluff, from New Plymouth to Gisborne and Westport to Christchurch, north, south, east and west – from every part of New Zealand to Parliament -  Maryjane has represented you.
After the tour is completed, Dakta Green, his friends and supporters will be focused on establishing a sustainable basis for reopening the Daktory in April.
Those who were current Daktory members at the time it closed, and those who are interested in joining when it reopens,
can email thedaktory@windowslive.com and you will be kept informed of developments as they occur.
Thanks to all who have supported the Daktory. We look forward to your continued support.

Posted: Fri 13 Mar 2009

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CANNABIS LAWS PROVED UNENFORCEABLE in 2008

http://norml.org.nz/postp72538.html

This morning I had the most mind blowing experience. If I had had a Christmas wish, this would have been it. But first, I will recap the year. Actually, this began in February 2005 when NORML decided to to buy Maryjane and a group of us got busy restoring her. Meanwhile Ken, Daktagreen was in jail forming the Dakta's and the idea for The Daktory. The second anniversary of Albert Park 420 was when we were destined to meet. I was supposed to pick Ken, Scotty and Fooz (strangers at this time) up in Maryjane to go to Albert Park, Maryjane had a flat tyre and was such a mess, so I picked them up in my car. I was delighted to discover that they were going to plant two beautiful Ladies, just a week or so from harvest (Scotty's sacrifice) at the 420. The best part however, was hearing Ken talk in public. This combined with radical tenancies, made him, the perfect partner for Maryjane (backed up by the Weeding later in the year). Ken and I then kidnapped Maryjane, planned the Tour and after I suggested that we park up in town, just to see what happens, on Fri Dec 28th on our way down Queen St, Ken spotted a loading zone and that was us. That first night, there were about eight people plus crew smoking up on board, when three beat cops approached and proceeded to walk right passed the bus, with one saying "having a good night". Sat night, three officers on the side of the road, waved us goodnight. Queen St became our main means of fund raising, however after a few weeks of 4-5 hours for $50, I said to Ken " If we want to make money, we need to sell joints". " For a $10 donation you can go on board and receive a gift to enjoy in our lounge". We did this for two months and the police ignored us. Most of you know that The Tour was almost totally funded by MJ's, $10 jail joints. Despite advertising this with, "if you don't have buds then, bring your money", buds in the Dream catcher, Lady Conan and the other plants and all the public smoking, there were just three minor cannabis charges laid, in one city. The sixth bust wasn't as devastating (might have had something to do with the 10 oz's at my mates) and I was straight back into it. Then came THE FINAL STRAW . Before the tour, Harry posed the question " How many times do we have to break this law, before it stays broken?. The Daktory is the answer. However the highlight of my year occurred on the last day. I was sitting here this morning, when a police car pulled up, only one cop, sweet. However I knew he was here for me, so I quietly stashed what I had around me. When he knocked, I opened the door and stepped outside, pulling the door behind me, but not quite closing it. It was the officer in charge of my bust. "Close the door and move over here so that I don't smell anything", he said. He had some papers for me to sign for and asked me to give permission For them to present the evidence by hand up, instead of appearing, to which I agreed. he then said he knew I was growing but wasn't interested in busting me. I then said "The Daktory is doing extremely well". He hadn't heard of it, he has now. But here, I have a police officer, telling me that he knows that I am growing cannabis, but he is going to ignore it. Well I'll be fucked, I've cracked it, haven't I ? I also know that The Daktory is now to big, it will never be closed down. 2009 is the year that the arrests of Kiwi's for cannabis, WILL STOP 2009 is the year for DEFIANCE 2009 is the year to DEMANDYOUR RIGHT TO CANNABIS.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Magoo
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:45:00 am »

Well if anyone was ever in doubt that cannabis does not have long term effects.  Take a look at this pair of rocket scientists.  Roll Eyes
They don't look like they could make an informed decision
http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:58:51 am »

The only side of that which I don't like is the fact that those who go there need to get home again... and they probably drive after a smoke. Sadly with dope you can't have 'just a little', its all or nothing.

Other than that I would support the idea. And I bet you there's a hell of a lot less fighting at their club than there is at the local pub!
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:05:16 am »

And I bet you there's a hell of a lot less fighting at their club than there is at the local pub!
   True Dazza.   But how do you tell kids from 10 (and some are younger) what the effects will be on them if they start smoking marijuana before the brain lobes are fully developed while it is being presented as something relaxing and enjoyable.        Is there a way around that because I don't think education is working.   The results of the kids who fall through the cracks and end up with mental illness which is permanent in most cases, isn't a pretty sight.     I sometimes wonder if people could spend a few hours in a youth inpatient care centre wouldn't change a few minds.  It changed mine.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:16:34 am »

Ive been smoking MJ for almost 30 years.  When I first started I thought another 5 years and they will chuck alcohol out and MJ will be the recreational drug of choice.  HAHAHAHA now each year I hope - SOON.

The history as to why MJ was banned is really interesting.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these guys - they wouldnt be buying through 'gangs' they will be providing their own MJ, when it becomes available (SOON)

I also support what Daz says - no fighting - I can honestly say in all the years of MJ smoking I have never seen people fighting - include alcohol and you have sick people and violent people.  However, how many times have we been told not to mix drugs?

The arguement of kids smoking MJ is no diffferent from the same aged kids getting alcohol - MJ does not adversely affect eveyone who smokes it.  There are many many many professionals who have smoked MJ from a very young age and have their own businesses, or/and hold prominent positions. 

The same goes for P - its a very very expensive drug - $100 per GRAM!!!!!!  Profesional lawyers/doctors etc have no trouble getting the money needed for a hit - and have no trouble working having indulged. 

Some do - some dont - have adverse side affects - just like some alcohol drinkers and cigarette smokers.

The truth is the drug will not disappear if the forces that be get tougher on it.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:31 am »

Ive been smoking MJ for almost 30 years.

Then I wouldn't think you would not  be the best person to say that there are no long term effects.
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:28:18 am »

Drink is worse guys - and you still face the same problems with the young.
Any drugs aren't good when your still developing...
And of course there are long term effects - show me ANY drug where there isn't!

The only reason the law stands as it does today is because we could all grow our own which would mean a lesser tax-take for the govt.

IMHO...
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:46:29 am »

Ive been smoking MJ for almost 30 years.

Then I wouldn't think you would not  be the best person to say that there are no long term effects.

SHIT!!  Did I say there are no long term effects??  or is someone making yet another assumtion?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 11:59:36 am »

or is someone making yet another assumtion?
Work it out for yourself.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 12:03:33 pm »

Its plainly obvious.

Assumptions are generally wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 12:06:18 pm »

Making an ASS out of U and ME.....
Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:08:26 pm »

Next step: Bring back the Opium Dens
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 02:43:06 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 02:47:41 pm »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/2330268/We-pay-50m-for-drug-abuse

We pay $50m for drug abuse

By STEVE HOPKINS - Sunday News
Last updated 08:35 12/04/2009

Drug and alcohol abusers are costing taxpayers more than $50 million a year in sickness and invalid benefits.

Almost 6000 New Zealanders are receiving the benefits because their addictions prevent them from working.

And the Ministry of Social Development (MSD), who pays them through Work and Income, doesn't even require the substance abusers to undertake the treatment that could cure them.

The Social Security Act 1964 directs Work and Income to require clients to "undertake medical assessments but not medical interventions".

Figures obtained by Sunday News under the Official Information Act show as of December 2008, 4190 people received a sickness benefit and 1648 an invalid's benefit due to addictions. Substance abusers make up eight percent of all sickness beneficiaries (50,896) and two percent of invalid beneficiaries (83,501).

Sickness beneficiaries received from $145.05 to $316.12 a week individually and up to $362.62 a week as a couple.

Invalid's beneficiaries get from $220.09 to $366.75 a week individually, and up to $453.28 a week as a couple.

The MSD couldn't tell Sunday News how much it spent annually on benefits for substance abusers because the rates varied "based on their individual circumstances".

But even based on the lowest payments, sickness beneficiaries with substance abuse problems are paid out more than $31.6m annually and invalid's beneficiaries with the same problems $18.8m a year a combined total of over $50m.

Auckland had the highest number of substance abusers claiming sickness benefits, with 752 beneficiaries having problems with booze and 789 with drugs.

It also had the largest number of invalid's beneficiaries, with 198 alcohol addicts and 160 drug addicts.

MSD chief executive Peter Hughes told Sunday News substance abusers required a doctor's approval to use their addiction as an excuse for not working.

"A person cannot claim they are unable to work and receive a benefit because of their addictions. A medical professional must determine that a person is medically unfit or physically unable to participate in the workforce," Hughes said.

"A benefit will only be paid where the physiological consequences of a person's addiction mean that they are unable to work."

Hughes said reasons for addicts being unable to work were "often complex, as there are typically multiple conditions contributing to their inability to participate in the workforce".

"For example, an alcoholic may also have cirrhosis or severe diabetes," he said.

While substance abusers were "encouraged to use appropriate services available through the health sector ... to help them move towards or into employment", Work and Income was unable to force them to seek treatment.

There was "no time limit" for addicts being able to claim either the sickness or invalid's benefit.

"Instead, a client's eligibility to receive a benefit is reviewed at regular intervals," Hughes said.

Sickness beneficiaries are reassessed after the first four weeks on the benefit and are required to supply Work and Income with a medical certificate every 13 weeks. The MSD said "generally two thirds" of sickness beneficiaries with substance abuse problems received the benefit for "less than two years".

Doctors assessing substance abusers for the invalid's benefit "indicate on their medical certificate whether a re-assessment of the person's condition is required in two years or five years".

A spokesman for MSD minister Paula Bennett told Sunday News that National "will be getting tough on applying sickness benefit eligibility criteria".

Bennett said they'd require "more frequent" medical assessments during the first few months someone was on a sickness benefit, and that anyone on that benefit for more than 12 months would be sent to a "second designated doctor" for a second opinion.

"While we believe these actions will help address the growth in sickness beneficiary numbers, we are not currently considering requiring people to seek medical treatment," she said.

NZ Drug Foundation executive director Ross Bell said he would "caution against" changing the law to force substance abusing beneficiaries to seek treatment, something that was debated by the Australian Parliament last year.

"While on the face of it, it sounds like a good solution, there's too much difficulty around that approach," he said.

Bell said "voluntarily treatment was always better than compulsory treatment", although admitted both could be equally effective.

The NZ Drug Foundation supported more resources being put into drug and alcohol treatment facilities and better training of Work and Income staff to recognise and direct clients who had drug and alcohol problems, he said.

"It is sad there are a lot of people out there on benefits that are existing in a state of alcohol and drug dependency who aren't either being given or seeking the help they need," Bell said.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 02:57:19 pm »

Yeh the cost is horrendous. 

Someone was suggesting to the courts a couple of weeks ago, that convicted drug abusers should be required by law to undergo drug rehab.  This would mean hundreds of spaces being provided, some of them would need to be for short term stay, some long term, some just daily/weekly visits, someones crazy idea of assisting the taxpayer where to pay out the tax cut to  Grin

However, if rehab isnt available to offenders, and their offending is directly related to drug use, they will simply serve a sentence and head on out to reoffend.

By rehab I dont mean methadone  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:17:56 pm »

Treatment is an emotive issue.  They have to want to stop to start with, which is very rare.  Secondly, if they weren't sucking so much out of the taxpayers funds then there wouldn't be an issue of there not being enough to build and fund treatments for others such as the anorexic girls and boys being discussed a few weeks ago.  Just because the drug abusers are a huge drain on several layers of society and funds, doesn't make them more deserving than the anorexics.
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »

Treatment is an emotive issue.  They have to want to stop to start with, which is very rare.  Secondly, if they weren't sucking so much out of the taxpayers funds then there wouldn't be an issue of there not being enough to build and fund treatments for others such as the anorexic girls and boys being discussed a few weeks ago.  Just because the drug abusers are a huge drain on several layers of society and funds, doesn't make them more deserving than the anorexics.

Of course they don't want to stop. Their lifestyle is taxpayer-funded. Working parents are worrying about how to feed their children while these bludgers use OUR money to put crap in their bodies. I make no apology for my views that if they want funding to survive they need to at least attempt to give up what is causing them to take from every earning taxpayer!
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 06:19:20 pm »

Thats why this idea of enforced rehab wont work, there are many who do want to stop - however their want is not as strong as the need.   I think that hardest part for them is that to make a clean break, it necessary to flip the driftwood in their lives too - in many cases their "best friends".  (Im talking from the female perspective)  Men are in the same position of course - though I imagine theres many emotional problems around it.

I have supported a meth patient off methadone - her and her husband.  They had been heroin addicts for some time and managed to get onto the meth program.  The meth program is just a laugh.  It is only there to stop the user offending.  All that happens is the user goes from one drug to another - and meth isnt the wonder drug we are led to believe it is.  They are all dangerous, no matter what end of the spectrum.

I agree DT, there are many others who should go to the top of the expert needs list rather than drug abusers. 
Report Spam   Logged

bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 02:32:11 pm »

Police have arrested 260 people and destroyed nearly 40,000 cannabis plants during a massive cannabis operation in Hawke's Bay, Gisborne and Bay of Plenty.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/hawkes-bay/2281043/Police-net-260-people-in-huge-drug-bust

This war on drugs is quite something... Helmand; eat your heart out!
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 08:15:57 am »

Eye in sky may target the high

By CHARLIE GATES - The Press Last updated 05:00 17/04/2009

Cannabis "factories" could be exposed by an aircraft with an infra-red camera over Christchurch.

The Christchurch City Council plans to use the eye in the sky this winter to create a thermal map of the city and use the information to offer people with poorly insulated homes advice on energy efficiency.

Christchurch drug squad officers hope to use the map to look for hot houses one of the tell-tale signs that lamps are being used in an attic for cannabis cultivation.

"If the council made that available for us, it would be a useful tool for us to consider," acting head of the Christchurch drug squad, Detective Sergeant Earle Borrell, said.

Indoor cannabis cultivation was increasing, Borrell said.

"Growing cannabis under lights has become common because they can produce high-quality material in controlled circumstances, with the advantage of having more discreet cultivation," he said.

Infra-red cameras mounted on helicopters are used by British police to spot cannabis factories.

The West Yorkshire police spotted more than 250 cannabis factories in the first six months of last year using the specially equipped helicopters.

The thermal map is part of a plan to slash Christchurch's $1.6 billion annual energy bill and cut energy use by every city resident by 9 per cent.

The council plans to make the thermal map public as soon as it is created. No decision has been made on whether the map will be published on the internet.

The $240,000 initiative will be funded by the council's sale of carbon credits to British Gas for $4 million in 2006.

Council corporate services manager Paul Anderson said the council would co-operate with the police if they wanted to use the map.

"That is not the primary objective of the project. The primary objective of residential thermography is to identify poorly insulated properties and offer assistance to householders," he said.

"We would co-operate fully with police if they wanted to use the images we take. I am not sure whether the police would be able to use them, but we would be very happy to co-operate with them."

The thermal map is part of a 10-year, $6.6m council plan to cut projected growth in energy use in Christchurch from 19.9 per cent between 2008 and 2018 to 0.04 per cent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2340767/Eye-in-sky-may-target-the-high

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:49:37 am by donquixotenz » Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

Nitpicker1
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 08:49:55 am »

lol, too late,

Cannabis "factories" could be exposed by an aircraft with an infra-red camera over Christchurch

the drugs crims of Christchurch and Dunedin are moving to rural and holiday crib areas already, and probably those from other centres are doing the same as in UK, where it started in 2007.

too late, too late, too late, too late 
Anyway
Cannabis "factories" could be exposed by an aircraft with an infra-red camera over Christchurch are we gonna have multiple AOSs  simultaneously descending en masse on all the homeowners who have poor roof insulation in case there's pot in the attic?

to use an archaic colloquialism, COME OFF THE GRASS!

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 09:05:05 am »

COME OFF THE GRASS!
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 07:34:51 am »

Relax cannabis laws for chronic pain: magistrate
ABC - April 30, 2009, 6:06 pm

An Adelaide Hills magistrate is urging Parliament to consider relaxing cannabis laws for sufferers of chronic pain.

Mount Barker Magistrate Clynt Johansen made the comments while sentencing 59-year-old Colin Lindner, who has a musculoskeletal disorder, fibromyalgia.

Lindner treats the condition with morphine and other prescription drugs but says he turned to cannabis for more effective pain relief after medical advice.

He was caught growing the drug at his home in the Hills two years ago and ended up in the Mt Barker court.

Lindner pleaded guilty to growing and possessing cannabis for medicinal use last week after a third charge of possessing the drug for sale was dropped.

Magistrate Johansen convicted Lindner without a penalty.

"He was typical of very many that come before me from time to time and I looked at that fellow as he stood in the courtroom and it was obvious on his face that he was in absolute pain," he said.

Magistrate Johansen says he sees about 25 people in a similar situation to Mr Lindner every year.

"They've got pain-related illness and they use the cannabis as a pain reliever, an anaesthetic if you like, and it complements their mainstream medication," he said.

"They're not criminals, they've just found a need for something to assist them through a very difficult time."

Magistrate Johansen says he is completely opposed to illicit drugs because he sees the misery they create in his court room every day, but he wants the Government to consider relaxing penalties for the small group of people who use cannabis for medicinal purposes.

South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson says the Government will not consider changing the law.

"We are not going to allow our anti-drugs system to be breached in this way because once the breach was opened up for so-called medicinal cannabis it will just lead to cannabis for everyone," he said.

"People of Mr Johansen's age and perhaps my age recall marijuana that was giggle grass and had a very low THC content.

"Today's cannabis grown under hydroponic conditions has 8 to 9 times higher THC content. Blows your brains and causes mental illness."

Mr Lindner has promised not to use the drug again.

"If I do and the authorities are notified I'm going to end up back in the courts again," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/australian-news/5534815/relax-cannabis-laws-chronic-pain-magistrate/
Report Spam   Logged

WOW, What a Ride!"

Magoo
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 07:48:14 am »

I suppose anyone could say they were growing it for their backache  and choof away to their hearts content  .    While I have concerns about the damage caused by long term use, which in some cases are very evident, if it were decriminalised and used in a prescribed way it could have benefits.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: