Xtra News Community 2
March 19, 2024, 02:32:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Nancy knows how to deal with a toddler's tantrums…

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nancy knows how to deal with a toddler's tantrums…  (Read 829 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: November 09, 2019, 12:34:57 pm »

from The Washington Post…

The United States is being run by a toddler

He has tantrums. He rips up paper. He disregards facts.

By DANA MILBANK | 2:37PM EST — Friday, November 08, 2019

President Donald J. Trump on October 7 in Washington D.C. — Photograph: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post.
President Donald J. Trump on October 7 in Washington D.C. — Photograph: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post.

MOST AMERICANS don't care what Lutsenko said to Giuliani about Yovanovitch. And we rarely take interest in Kiev if it isn't preceded by “chicken”.

But if you take away the names and the Ukraine intrigue, what you're left with from the thousands of pages of deposition transcripts released this week by impeachment investigators is a striking consensus — among Trump administration officials, Democrats and even, to some extent, Republicans — that the United States is currently being run by a toddler.

He has tantrums. He rips up paper. He disregards facts. He believes crazy conspiracies. He's erratic and ill-informed. Those around him walk on eggshells, trying to prevent him from doing the geopolitical equivalent of sticking his finger in an electrical socket.

U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland, a Trump donor and political appointee, described Trump's style: “President Trump changes his mind on what he wants on a daily basis. I have no idea what he wanted on the day I called him.” Sondland also spoke about Trump's “completely inconsistent” behavior: “The funny part is that he was railing about the problems with Ukraine in our meeting, but I think shortly after that he sent essentially an unconditional invitation to President Zelensky to come visit him.”

Sondland testified about Trump's unreasonableness (“He sort of went on and on and on about how Ukraine is a disaster and they're bad people”), limited attention (“He didn't even want to deal with it anymore, and he basically waved and said, ‘Go talk to Rudy’”) and poor judgment (“Taking directions from the president, as I must, I spoke with Mr. Giuliani … Please know that I would have not recommended that”). Likewise, George Kent, the deputy secretary of state overseeing Ukraine, painted a picture of aides trying to soothe a child-like Trump. “Initially the president did not want to sign a congratulatory letter, and he actually ripped up the letter that had been written for him,” Kent testified. “But by the end of the meeting he'd been convinced”.

“There was no doubt” about what Trump wanted from Ukraine's president, a White House official testified. — Photograph: Jonathan Ernst/Reuters.
“There was no doubt” about what Trump wanted from Ukraine's president, a White House official testified.
 — Photograph: Jonathan Ernst/Reuters.

Republicans' questions suggest they, too, accept that the president is not entirely rational; they urged witnesses to respond as “if you are in President Trump's world,” whether Trump's views are “reasonable or not” and “fair or not”.

For example: “If the president, for whatever reason, true or untrue, develops a feeling that he's got an ambassador that isn't loyal to him, he's going to bring them home, correct?”

And: “If you try to get inside the president's head, I mean, he may have been searching for the name ‘Burisma’ but couldn't grasp it so he spits out ‘Biden’?”

The witness, Kurt Volker, Trump's envoy for Ukraine negotiations, said Trump “would not know or even know how to pronounce or be familiar with the name of a company like that”.

Of course, you don't need to read depositions to know this about Trump; you only need look at his recent public behavior. One moment he's at a rally shouting “we are kicking their ass,” and the next he's retweeting a message calling him a “bad motherf-----”. One moment he's declaring that “this impeachment nonsense … is driving the Stock Market, and your 401K's, down”. The next he's announcing: “Stock Markets (all three) hit another ALL TIME & HISTORIC HIGH yesterday!” One moment he's proposing a “fireside chat” reading of the infamous rough transcript. The next he's threatening a government shutdown.

An anonymous administration official writes in a new book that Trump is “like a twelve-year-old in an air traffic control tower, pushing the buttons of government indiscriminately, indifferent to the planes skidding across the runway and the flights frantically diverting away from the airport.” Even loyalist Senator Lindsey Graham (Republican-South Carolina) posits a dubious new defense of Trump's Ukraine actions: “It was incoherent …They seem to be incapable of forming a quid pro quo.”

The depositions make clear Trump appointees and civil servants feel similarly. They describe “great confusion”, a “lack of clarity”, "the absence of “any coherent explanation” and a “vacuum”. The acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, “rarely responded to emails and almost never returned phone calls”.

They describe a president who is “confounding” and paranoid (he “kept repeating it … ‘they tried to take me down, they tried to take me down’”) and volatile (“the president was really in a bad mood”, “it was almost like he hung up on me”). They testified about him being swayed by Russia's Vladimir Putin and Hungarian strongman Viktor Orban, and about how they coached the Ukrainians on dealing with Trump. They spoke of keeping “dissonant information” from Trump. They talked of fearing tweets from Trump and his family attacking them. As a consequence, they reported feeling “discouraged”, "incredibly frustrated” and “pissed”.

Toddlers have a way of doing that to their caregivers.

Dana Milbank is a nationally syndicated op-ed columnist. He also provides political commentary for various TV outlets, and he is the author of three books on politics: Smashmouth: Two Years in the Gutter with Al Gore and George W. Bush (Basic Books, 2001), the national bestseller Homo Politicus: The Strange and Scary Tribes that Run Our Government (Doubleday, 2008) and Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America (Doubleday, 2010). Milbank joined The Washington Post in 2000 as a Style political writer, then covered the presidency of George W. Bush as a White House correspondent before starting his column in 2005. Before joining The Post, Milbank spent two years as a senior editor at The New Republic, where he covered the Clinton White House, and eight years as a reporter with The Wall Street Journal, where he covered Congress and was a London-based correspondent. He has been honoured with the White House Correspodent Association's Beckman Award and the National Press Club's Gingras Prize.

IMPEACHMENT DIARY — Dana Milbank on the Trump impeachment inquiry.

Related to this topic:

• VIDEO: Trump on Sondland: ‘I hardly know the gentleman’

• Top White House official told Congress ‘there was no doubt’ Trump sought quid pro quo with Ukrainians

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/08/united-states-is-being-run-by-toddler
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: