Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:55:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Once upon a time, a gentleman resided at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue…

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once upon a time, a gentleman resided at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue…  (Read 655 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: August 20, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »

from The Washington Post…

The un-celebrity president

Jimmy Carter shuns riches, lives modestly in his Georgia hometown.

By KEVIN SULLIVAN and MARY JORDAN | Friday, August 17, 2018

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter walk home with Secret Service agents along West Church Street after having dinner at a friend's house in Plains, Georgia. The former first couple, who were born in Plains, returned to the town after leaving the White House. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter walk home with Secret Service agents along West Church Street after having dinner at a friend's house in Plains, Georgia.
The former first couple, who were born in Plains, returned to the town after leaving the White House. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

PLAINS, GEORGIA — Jimmy Carter finishes his Saturday night dinner, salmon and broccoli casserole on a paper plate, flashes his famous toothy grin and calls playfully to his wife of 72 years, Rosalynn: “C'mon, kid.”

She laughs and takes his hand, and they walk carefully through a neighbor's kitchen filled with 1976 campaign buttons, photos of world leaders and a couple of unopened cans of Billy Beer, then out the back door, where three Secret Service agents wait.

They do this just about every weekend in this tiny town where they were born — he almost 94 years ago, she almost 91. Dinner at their friend Jill Stuckey's house, with plastic Solo cups of ice water and one glass each of bargain-brand chardonnay, then the half-mile walk home to the ranch house they built in 1961.

On this south Georgia summer evening, still close to 90 degrees, they dab their faces with a little plastic bottle of No Natz to repel the swirling clouds of tiny bugs. Then they catch each other's hands again and start walking, the former president in jeans and clunky black shoes, the former first lady using a walking stick for the first time.

The 39th president of the United States lives modestly, a sharp contrast to his successors, who have left the White House to embrace power of another kind: wealth.

Even those who didn't start out rich, including Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, have made tens of millions of dollars on the private-sector opportunities that flow so easily to ex-presidents.

The Carters have dinner at their friend Jill Stuckey's house, where they drank ice water out of plastic Solo cups and each had a glass of bargain-brand chardonnay. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
The Carters have dinner at their friend Jill Stuckey's house, where they drank ice water out of plastic Solo cups and each had a glass of bargain-brand chardonnay.
 — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

Carter enjoys his Saturday night dinner at Jill Stuckey's house on a paper plate. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Carter enjoys his Saturday night dinner at Jill Stuckey's house on a paper plate. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

The Carters hold hands as they walk home in Plains, Georgia. The couple — he, almost 94, and she, almost 91 — have been married 72 years. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
The Carters hold hands as they walk home in Plains, Georgia. The couple — he, almost 94, and she, almost 91 — have been married 72 years.

When Carter left the White House after one tumultuous term, trounced by Ronald Reagan in the 1980 election, he returned to Plains, a speck of peanut and cotton farmland that to this day has a nearly 40 percent poverty rate.

The Democratic former president decided not to join corporate boards or give speeches for big money because, he says, he didn't want to “capitalize financially on being in the White House.”

Presidential historian Michael Beschloss said that Gerald Ford, Carter's predecessor and close friend, was the first to fully take advantage of those high-paid post-presidential opportunities, but that “Carter did the opposite.”

Since Ford, other former presidents, and sometimes their spouses, routinely earn hundreds of thousands of dollars per speech.

“I don't see anything wrong with it; I don't blame other people for doing it,” Carter says over dinner. “It just never had been my ambition to be rich.”

Carter's handprints mark a sidewalk on the grounds of the Jimmy Carter Boyhood Farm in Plains, Georgia. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Carter's handprints mark a sidewalk on the grounds of the Jimmy Carter Boyhood Farm in Plains, Georgia. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

The former president arrives at Jill Stuckey's house in Plains, Georgia for dinner wearing a casual shirt, jeans and a belt buckle with “JC” on it. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
The former president arrives at Jill Stuckey's house in Plains, Georgia for dinner wearing a casual shirt, jeans and a belt buckle with “JC” on it.

‘He doesn't like big shots’

Carter was 56 when he returned to Plains from Washington. He says his peanut business, held in a blind trust during his presidency, was $1 million in debt, and he was forced to sell.

“We thought we were going to lose everything,” says Rosalynn, sitting beside him.

Carter decided that his income would come from writing, and he has written 33 books, about his life and career, his faith, Middle East peace, women's rights, aging, fishing, woodworking, even a children's book written with his daughter, Amy Carter, called The Little Baby Snoogle-Fleejer.

With book income and the $210,700 annual pension all former presidents receive, the Carters live comfortably. But his books have never fetched the massive sums commanded by more recent presidents.

Carter has been an ex-president for 37 years, longer than anyone else in history. His simple lifestyle is increasingly rare in this era of President Trump, a billionaire with gold-plated sinks in his private jet, Manhattan penthouse and Mar-a-Lago estate.

Carter is the only president in the modern era to return full-time to the house he lived in before he entered politics — a two-bedroom rancher assessed at $167,000, less than the value of the armored Secret Service vehicles parked outside.

Ex-presidents often fly on private jets, sometimes lent by wealthy friends, but the Carters fly commercial. Stuckey says that on a recent flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles, Carter walked up and down the aisle greeting other passengers and taking selfies.

“He doesn't like big shots, and he doesn't think he's a big shot,” said Gerald Rafshoon, who was Carter's White House communications director.

Carter costs U.S. taxpayers less than any other ex-president, according to the General Services Administration, with a total bill for him in the current fiscal year of $456,000, covering pensions, an office, staff and other expenses. That's less than half the $952,000 budgeted for George H.W. Bush; the three other living ex-presidents — Clinton, George W. Bush and Obama — cost taxpayers more than $1 million each per year.

Carter doesn't even have federal retirement health benefits because he worked for the government for four years — less than the five years needed to qualify, according to the GSA. He says he receives health benefits through Emory University, where he has taught for 36 years.

Carter is pictured at his house after teaching his 800th Sunday school lesson at Maranatha Baptist Church since leaving the White House. Every other Sunday morning, he teaches at Maranatha, on the edge of town, and people line up the night before to get a seat. The painting at right was done by Carter. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Carter is pictured at his house after teaching his 800th Sunday school lesson at Maranatha Baptist Church since leaving the White House. Every other Sunday
morning, he teaches at Maranatha, on the edge of town, and people line up the night before to get a seat. The painting at right was done by Carter.

The Plains general store, once owned by Carter's Uncle Buddy, sells Carter memorabilia and scoops of peanut butter ice cream in honor of Carter, who was a peanut farmer. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
The Plains general store, once owned by Carter's Uncle Buddy, sells Carter memorabilia and scoops of peanut butter ice cream in honor of Carter,
who was a peanut farmer. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

The federal government pays for an office for each ex-president. Carter's, in the Carter Center in Atlanta, is the least expensive, at $115,000 this year. The Carters could have built a more elaborate office with living quarters, but for years they slept on a pullout couch for a week each month. Recently, they had a Murphy bed installed.

Carter's office costs a fraction of Obama's, which is $536,000 a year. Clinton's costs $518,000, George W. Bush's is $497,000 and George H.W. Bush's is $286,000, according to the GSA.

“I am a great admirer of Harry Truman. He's my favorite president, and I really try to emulate him,” says Carter, who writes his books in a converted garage in his house. “He set an example I thought was admirable.”

But although Truman retired to his hometown of Independence, Missouri, Beschloss said that even he took up residence in an elegant house previously owned by his prosperous in-laws.

As Carter spreads a thick layer of butter on a slice of white bread, he is asked whether he thinks, especially with a man who boasts of being a billionaire in the White House, any future ex-president will ever live the way Carter does.

“I hope so,” he says. “But I don't know.”

A customer leaves the Plains Mtd convenience store in Plains, Georgia. About 700 people live in the town, 150 miles south of Atlanta, in a place that is a living museum to Carter. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
A customer leaves the Plains Mtd convenience store in Plains, Georgia. About 700 people live in the town, 150 miles south of Atlanta, in a place
that is a living museum to Carter. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

‘A good 'ol Southern gentleman’

Plains is a tiny circle of Georgia farmland, a mile in diameter, with its center at the train depot that served as Carter's 1976 campaign headquarters. About 700 people live here, 150 miles due south of Atlanta, in a place that is a living museum to Carter.

The general store, once owned by Carter's Uncle Buddy, sells Carter memorabilia and scoops of peanut butter ice cream. Carter's boyhood farm is preserved as it was in the 1930s, with no electricity or running water.

The Jimmy Carter National Historic Site is essentially the entire town, drawing nearly 70,000 visitors a year and $4 million into the county's economy.

Carter has used his post-presidency to support human rights, global health programs and fair elections worldwide through his Carter Center, based in Atlanta. He has helped renovate 4,300 homes in 14 countries for Habitat for Humanity, and with his own hammer and tool belt, he will be working on homes for low-income people in Indiana later this month.

But it is Plains that defines him.

After dinner, the Carters step out of Stuckey's driveway, with two Secret Service agents walking close behind.

Carter's gait is a little unsteady these days, three years after a diagnosis of melanoma on his liver and brain. At a 2015 news conference to announce his illness, he seemed to be bidding a stoic farewell, saying he was “perfectly at ease with whatever comes.”

But now, after radiation and chemotherapy, Carter says he is cancer-free.

In October, he will become the second president ever to reach 94; George H.W. Bush turned 94 in June. These days, Carter is sharp, funny and reflective.

The Carters walk every day — often down Church Street, the main drag through Plains, where they have been walking since the 1920s.

Gene Mattson, who owns Plains Mtd, feeds cats outside the convenience store. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Gene Mattson, who owns Plains Mtd, feeds cats outside the convenience store. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

Veterinarian Frank Pierce sits outside his clinic in Plains. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Veterinarian Frank Pierce sits outside his clinic in Plains. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

As they cross Walters Street, Carter sees a couple of teenagers on the sidewalk across the street.

“Hello,” says the former president, with the same big smile that adorns peanut Christmas ornaments in the general store.

“Hey,” says a girl in a jean skirt, greeting him with a cheerful wave.

The two 15-year-olds say people in Plains think of the Carters as neighbors and friends, just like anybody else.

“I grew up in church with him,” says Maya Wynn. “He's a nice guy, just like a regular person.”

“He's a good 'ol Southern gentleman,” says David Lane.

Carter says this place formed him, seeding his beliefs about racial equality. His farmhouse youth during the Great Depression made him unpretentious and frugal. His friends, maybe only half-joking, describe Carter as “tight as a tick.”

That no-frills sensibility, endearing since he left Washington, didn't work as well in the White House. Many people thought Carter scrubbed some of the luster off the presidency by carrying his own suitcases onto Air Force One and refusing to have “Hail to the Chief” played.

Stuart E. Eizenstat, a Carter aide and biographer, said Carter's edict eliminating drivers for top staff members backfired. It meant that top officials were driving instead of reading and working for an hour or two every day.

“He didn't feel suited to the grandeur,” Eizenstat said. “Plains is really part of his DNA. He carried it into the White House, and he carried it out of the White House.”

Carter's presidency — from 1977 to 1981 — is often remembered for long lines at gas stations and the Iran hostage crisis.

“I may have overemphasized the plight of the hostages when I was in my final year,” he says. “But I was so obsessed with them personally, and with their families, that I wanted to do anything to get them home safely, which I did.”

Visitors watch a video about Carter's life in the theater at Plains High School. Carter attended the school, which served first through 11th grades. Today, the school is home to the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Visitors watch a video about Carter's life in the theater at Plains High School. Carter attended the school, which served first through 11th grades.
Today, the school is home to the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.

He said he regrets not doing more to unify the Democratic Party.

When Carter looks back at his presidency, he says he is most proud of “keeping the peace and supporting human rights,” the Camp David accords that brokered peace between Israel and Egypt, and his work to normalize relations with China. In 2002, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts.

“I always told the truth,” he says.

Carter has been notably quiet about President Trump. But on this night, two years into Trump's term, he's not holding back.

“I think he's a disaster,” Carter says. “In human rights and taking care of people and treating people equal.”

“The worst is that he is not telling the truth, and that just hurts everything,” Rosalynn says.

Carter says his father taught him that truthfulness matters. He said that was reinforced at the U.S. Naval Academy, where he said students are expelled for telling even the smallest lie.

“I think there's been an attitude of ignorance toward the truth by President Trump,” he says.

Carter says he thinks the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision has “changed our political system from a democracy to an oligarchy. Money is now preeminent. I mean, it's just gone to hell now.”

He says he believes that the nation's “ethical and moral values” are still intact and that Americans eventually will “return to what's right and what's wrong, and what’s decent and what's indecent, and what's truthful and what's lies.”

But, he says, “I doubt if it happens in my lifetime.”

The Jimmy Carter National Historic Site draws nearly 70,000 visitors a year and $4 million into the county's economy. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
The Jimmy Carter National Historic Site draws nearly 70,000 visitors a year and $4 million into the county's economy.

On Church Street, Carter points out the mayor's house with his left hand while he holds Rosalynn's with his right.

“My mother and father lived in that brick one,” he says, gesturing toward a small house across the street. “We use it as an office now.”

“That's Dr. Logan's over here.”

Every house has a story. Generations of them. Cracked birdbaths and rocking chairs on somebody's great-grandmother's porch. Carter knows them all.

“Mr. Oscar Williams lived here; his family was my competitor in the warehouse business.”

He points out the Plains United Methodist Church, where he spotted young Eleanor Rosalynn Smith one evening when he was home from the Naval Academy.

He asked her out. They went to a movie, and the next morning he told his mother he was going to marry Rosalynn.

“I didn't know that for years,” she says with a smile.

They are asked if there is anything they want but don't have.

“I can't think of anything,” Carter says, turning to Rosalynn. “And you?”

“No, I'm happy,” she says.

“We feel at home here,” Carter says. “And the folks in town, when we need it, they take care of us.”

Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter pose for photographs with anyone who wants one after a morning church service at Maranatha Baptist Church. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter pose for photographs with anyone who wants one after a morning church service at Maranatha Baptist Church.

‘A heart of service’

Every other Sunday morning, Carter teaches Sunday school at the Maranatha Baptist Church on the edge of town, and people line up the night before to get a seat.

This Sunday morning happens to be his 800th lesson since he left the White House.

He walks in wearing a blazer too big through the shoulders, a striped shirt and a turquoise bolo tie. He asks where people have come from, and from the pews they call out at least 20 states, Canada, Kenya, China and Denmark.

He tells the congregation that he's planning a trip to Montana to go fishing with his friend Ted Turner, and that he's going to ride in his son's autogiro — a sort of mini-helicopter.

“I'm still fairly active,” he says, and everyone laughs.

He talks about living a purposeful life, but also about finding enough time for rest and reflection. Then he and Rosalynn pose for photos with every person who wants one, including Steven and Joanna Raley, who came from Annandale, Virginia, with their 3-month-old son, Jackson Carter Raley.

“We want our children to grow up with a heart of service like President Carter,” says Steven, who works on Navy submarines, as Carter once did.

“One of the reasons we named our son after President Carter is how humble he is,” Joanna says.

Carter holds the baby and beams for the camera.

“I like the name,” he says.

An oversized peanut with a toothy grin, made in Indiana as a tribute to Carter, a former peanut farmer, sits outside the Plains Mtd convenience store. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
An oversized peanut with a toothy grin, made in Indiana as a tribute to Carter, a former peanut farmer, sits outside the Plains Mtd convenience store.

‘A modest life’

When they reach their property, the Carters turn right off the sidewalk and cut across the wide lawn toward their house.

Carter stops to point out a tall magnolia that was transplanted from a sprout taken from a tree that Andrew Jackson planted on the White House lawn.

They walk past a pond, which Carter helped dig and where he now works on his fly-fishing technique. They point out a willow tree at the pond's edge, on a gentle sloping lawn, where they will be buried in graves marked by simple stones.

They know their graves will draw tourists and boost the Plains economy.

Their one-story house sits behind a government-owned fence that once surrounded Richard Nixon's house in Key Biscayne, Florida. The Carters already have deeded the property to the National Park Service, which will one day turn it into a museum.

Their house is dated, but homey and comfortable, with a rustic living room and a small kitchen. A cooler bearing the presidential seal sits on the floor in the kitchen — Carter says they use it for leftovers.

In a remodel not long ago, the couple knocked down a bedroom wall themselves. “By that time, we had worked with Habitat so much that it was just second-nature,” Rosalynn says.

Rosalynn Carter practices tai chi and meditates in the mornings, while her husband writes in his study or swims in the pool. He also builds furniture and paints in the garage; the paint is still wet on a portrait of a cardinal that will be their Christmas card this year.

They watch Atlanta Braves games or “Law and Order”. Carter just finished reading “The Innovators” by Walter Isaacson. They have no chef and they cook for themselves, often together. They make their own yogurt.

On this summer morning, Rosalynn mixes pancake batter and sprinkles in blueberries grown on their land.

Carter cooks them on the griddle.

Then he does the dishes.

After dinner at their friend's house, the Carters leave, with two Secret Service agents walking close behind. The former president's gait is a bit unsteady these days, three years after a diagnosis of melanoma on his liver and brain. After radiation and chemotherapy, Carter says he is cancer-free. — Photograph: Matt McClain/The Washington Post.
After dinner at their friend's house, the Carters leave, with two Secret Service agents walking close behind. The former president's gait is a bit unsteady
these days, three years after a diagnosis of melanoma on his liver and brain. After radiation and chemotherapy, Carter says he is cancer-free.

Photo editing was by MaryAnne Golon.

Kevin Sullivan is a Pulitzer Prize-winning senior correspondent who covers national and international affairs for The Washington Post. He was previously The Post's bureau chief in Tokyo, Mexico City and London.

Mary Jordan is a Pulitzer Prize-winning correspondent currently writing about politics for The Washington Post. She spent 14 years as a Post foreign correspondent based in Tokyo, Mexico City and London.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2018/08/17/feature/the-un-celebrity-president-jimmy-carter-shuns-riches-lives-modestly-in-his-georgia-hometown
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »

These days, a narcissistic arsehole resides at that address…

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 01:53:46 pm »

Shall we indulge in a comparison exercise, beginning with the distinguished military service of Carter and Trump?

Then we could move on to other desirable traits (or lack of them)…
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »

so now your pro war lefty clown haw haw ha  you're so full of shit it's coming out your ears

silly fucken commie retard

Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »

Jimmy Carter has a history of extensive military service for his country.

Robert S. Mueller III has a long history of extensive military service for his country.

Donald J. Trump is a gutless, cowardly, yellow-belly draft dodger.

There....that about sums it up, eh?
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »

Trump ‘made a mistake’ by not honoring
John McCain's service, Jimmy Carter says

Trump's belated proclamation on McCain, while a good step, was
“still not as enthusiastic as it should be,” the former president said.

By FELICIA SONMEZ and JOHN WAGNER | 1:26PM EDT — Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Former president Jimmy Carter speaks during the opening ceremony event for the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project on Sunday, inside the University of Notre Dame's Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Indiana. — Photograph: Robert Franklin/Associated Press.
Former president Jimmy Carter speaks during the opening ceremony event for the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project on Sunday,
inside the University of Notre Dame's Purcell Pavilion in South Bend, Indiana. — Photograph: Robert Franklin/Associated Press.

FORMER PRESIDENT Jimmy Carter said on Tuesday that President Trump initially erred by not acknowledging the late Senator John McCain's (Republican-Arizona) service to the country, but that his reversal in a later statement undid some of the damage.

Carter, who turns 94 in October, weighed in on Trump's response to McCain's death in a pair of TV appearances in which he also promoted his post-presidency work with Habitat for Humanity.

“I thought that President Trump made a mistake at first” by issuing a tweet that made no mention of McCain's service, Carter told Fox Business Network's Neil Cavuto.

Trump's critics and supporters later made the president's mis-step clear to him, Carter said, adding: “I think his last statement that I read yesterday has basically corrected that.”

In an interview with MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell, Carter elaborated further, saying that the proclamation Trump issued on Monday was “still not as enthusiastic as it should be.”

After McCain's death on Saturday at the age of 81, Trump rejected the advice of top aides who advocated releasing an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a “hero.” Trump instead offered words of condolence to the senator's family in a tweet that made no mention of McCain's storied service in the military and on Capitol Hill.

As criticism mounted, Trump later changed course and said in a statement on Monday: “Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain's service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.”

In the proclamation, Trump also ordered that flags be lowered to half-staff until McCain's burial, a reversal that came hours after flags were raised to full-staff early on Monday.

Carter told Cavuto that he prays for Trump and hopes the president will promote human rights and keep the United States out of war. He also reprised some of his criticism of Trump as having a loose relationship with the truth, telling Cavuto that Trump “has made statements that were not exactly correct.”

“I think that John McCain and I, who were both graduates of the Naval Academy in Annapolis, were imbued with a principle that the truth was pre-eminent and was a real test of integrity,” Carter said. “Any kind of misleading statement that you made at the Naval Academy would result in instant dismissal.”

But he also struck a hopeful note.

In his interview with MSNBC's Mitchell, Carter noted the Naval Academy's strict requirements and said, “I think we'll get back to that standard in the future.”

While the United States is “looked upon with a great deal of doubt” across the world, Carter added, “over a period of time, the resilience and the basic ideas of our country will prevail.”

Felicia Sonmez is a national political reporter at The Washington Post covering breaking news from the White House, Congress and the campaign trail. Previously, she spent more than four years in Beijing, where she worked first as a correspondent for Agence France-Presse and later as the editor of The Wall Street Journal's China Real Time Report. She also spent a year in advanced Chinese language study as a Blakemore Freeman Fellow at Tsinghua University. From 2010 to 2013, she reported on national politics for The Washington Post, starting as a writer for The Fix and going on to cover Congress, the 2012 presidential campaign and the early days of President Barack Obama's second term. She began her career teaching English in Beijing and has also covered U.S. politics for the Asahi Shimbun and National Journal's the Hotline.

John Wagner is a national reporter who leads The Washington Post's new breaking political news team. He previously covered the Trump White House. During the 2016 presidential election, Wagner focused on the Democratic campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley. He earlier chronicled Maryland government for more than a decade, a stretch that included O’Malley's eight years as governor and part of the tenure of his Republican predecessor, Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. He came to The Post from The News & Observer in Raleigh, North Carolina, where he served as the paper's Washington correspondent, covering the 2004 presidential bid of Senator John Edwards and the final years in office of Senator Jesse Helms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-made-a-mistake-by-not-honoring-john-mccains-service-jimmy-carter-says/2018/08/28/736dc8a4-aadb-11e8-8a0c-70b618c98d3c_story.html
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 07:35:35 pm »

from The Seattle Times…

Jimmy Carter's new milestone: Longest-lived US president

By BILL BARROW | 10:13PM PDT — Thursday, March 21, 2019

Former President Jimmy Carter speaks in September as Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams listens in Plains, Georgia. Carter is now the longest-living president in American history. — Photograph: John Bazemore/Associated Press.
Former President Jimmy Carter speaks in September as Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams listens in Plains, Georgia.
Carter is now the longest-living president in American history. — Photograph: John Bazemore/Associated Press.

ATLANTA, GEORGIA — Nearly four decades after voters unceremoniously rejected then-President Jimmy Carter's bid for a second term, the 39th president has reached a milestone that electoral math cannot dispute: He is now the longest-living chief executive in American history.

Friday is the 172nd day beyond Carter's 94th birthday, exceeding by one day the lifespan of former President George H.W. Bush, who died November 30 at the age of 94 years, 171 days. Both men were born in 1924: Bush on June 12, Carter on October 1.

It's yet another post-presidency distinction for Carter, whose legacy since leaving office has long overshadowed both his rocky White House tenure and the remarkable political rise that led him from his family peanut farm and a state Senate seat to the governor's mansion and his unlikely presidential victory in 1976.

The achievement also defies medical odds, coming more than three years after Carter announced he had melanoma that had spread to his liver and brain. He underwent treatment and received a clean bill of health.

“There are no special celebrations planned,” said Deanna Congileo, spokeswoman for the former president and The Carter Center, which Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, now 91, founded in Atlanta in 1982 to focus on global human rights issues.

The center's decades of public health advocacy, election-monitoring and conflict resolution around the world have redefined the role of former presidents, who before Carter often retired to relative obscurity.

“We at The Carter Center sure are rooting for him and grateful for his long life of service that has benefited millions of the world's poorest people,” Congileo said.

Seemingly downplaying his political career, Carter has for years characterized the center's work as his defining professional achievement — though, of course, having been a U.S. president is what allowed him the stature to establish the center.

“I spent four of my ninety years in the White House, and they were, of course, the pinnacle of my political life,” Carter wrote in a memoir published on his 90th birthday. “Those years, though, do not dominate my chain of memories, and there was never an orderly or planned path to get there during my early life.”

Rather, he continued, “Teaching, writing and helping The Carter Center evolve … seem to constitute the high points in my life.”

And the man who once held the U.S. nuclear codes, forged a historic Middle East peace deal at Camp David and tried to manage a hostage crisis that sealed his one-term fate has a simple answer whenever he's asked to recount the best or most significant decision he's ever made: “Asking Rosalynn to marry me.”

Former President Jimmy Carter speaks last year during a funeral service for former Georgia Governor Zell Miller. Carter is now the longest-living president in American history. — Photograph: John Bazemore/Associated Press.
Former President Jimmy Carter speaks last year during a funeral service for former Georgia Governor Zell Miller. Carter is now the longest-living
president in American history. — Photograph: John Bazemore/Associated Press.

The former president and first lady still live in Plains, Georgia, a town of about 750 where they were born, raised and married 73 years ago, weeks after the future commander in chief graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy.

A devout Christian, Jimmy Carter regularly teaches Sunday school at Maranatha Baptist Church, drawing hundreds of visitors to Plains for each session. The Carters pose for pictures with each attendee.

Though he sometimes de-emphasizes his elected career, living so long after his presidency is allowing Carter a resurgence of sorts in Democratic politics.

Two current presidential candidates, Senators Cory Booker of New Jersey and Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, have ventured to Plains to meet with the Carters. The former president has hosted Bernie Sanders, a 2016 and 2020 presidential candidate, for a panel at The Carter Center — and Carter told the audience that he voted for Sanders over Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primary. He hosted and endorsed Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams in her unsuccessful bid for Georgia governor last year.

Georgia Democrats say they expect more presidential candidates to make a Plains pilgrimage.

As for what's next, Carter has at least one more accomplishment on his mind, pointing often to The Carter Center's long-running effort to eliminate Guinea worm disease, a parasitic infection attributed to poor drinking water.

There were 3.5 million cases in 21 countries in 1986, when the Carter Center began its eradication program. In 2018, there were 28 cases worldwide.

“I'm hoping that I will live longer than the last Guinea worm,” he said in a British television interview in 2016. “That's one of my goals in life, and I think I have a good chance to succeed.”

Story updated at 4:36PM PST — Friday, March 22, 2019.

Bill Barrow is a national politics reporter for the Associated Press. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, he covered the 2018 mid-term elections and covers Democrats in the era of Donald J. Trump.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/jimmy-carters-new-milestone-longest-lived-us-president
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 10:13:18 pm »

do you think he must have eaten a lot of peanuts?
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 05:47:19 am »

Whatever he has eaten, he has principles, unlike the corrupt, criminal occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue since early 2017.

And he has intelligence, unlike the stupid, dumb current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

And he served his country with distinction in the military, unlike the gutless-wonder draft-dodger & coward currently residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:12:51 am »

meanwhile

Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 03:57:15 pm »

Ah, yes ... the typical actions of fuckwits ... when they are losing the argument, they launch straight into diversionary tactics.

Still doesn't change the fact thet Jimmy Carter bravely served in his country's armed forces whereas Donald J. Trump is a cowardly, gutless-wonder draft-dodger.
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 12:12:52 am »

Only idiots go to war to serve the .08% of the worlds elite who own most of the world and own the military industrial complex

anyone with a good mind would carefully pick their battles

like Trump and his father, they both play the game to win

There is a war on now by the left against the right that is against common sense

my dad was fighting in ww2 all through the middle east but he had a good reason the whole world was under threat everyone went.

not sure what your problem is except to say you seem to hate everything
you're a bit strange did the kids pick on you at school?

did a Catholic priest fiddle with you?

did you grow up poor? I did

all I mean to say is who brainwashed you and turned you into a rabid, foaming at the mouth crazy commie minion?

I don't get why you act like a child
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:34:18 am by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 11:32:50 pm »

Jimmy Carter once thought he was nearing death.
The longest-living former U.S. president just turned 95.

In 2015, after melanoma spread to Carter's brain, “I just thought I had a few weeks left," he said.
He turned 95 on October 1.

By DEANNA PAUL and JOHN WAGNER | 9:20AM EDT — Tuesday, October 01, 2019

In this 2018 photo, former president Jimmy Carter works with other volunteers during the week-long Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project with Habitat for Humanity. — Photograph: Robert Franklin/South Bend Tribune/Associated Press.
In this 2018 photo, former president Jimmy Carter works with other volunteers during the week-long Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter Work Project
with Habitat for Humanity. — Photograph: Robert Franklin/South Bend Tribune/Associated Press.

JIMMY CARTER, the 39th president of the United States, has celebrated multiple record-breaking milestones in recent years: The 40th anniversary of his inauguration was in 2017; he joined George H.W. Bush as the only other president to reach the age of 94; and in March, at 94 years and 172 days, he became the longest-living former president in U.S. history.

Now, Carter is 95. To help the low-key former chief executive celebrate his birthday on Tuesday, the Carter Center is inviting people all over the world to send him birthday messages.

Carter has reached yet another milestone despite thinking he was on the verge of death just a few years earlier, after doctors discovered that cancer had spread to his brain.

Born on October 1, 1924, in Plains, Georgia, the typically cheery and humble former Navy lieutenant has had a life of service. Before taking office as president, he served as a state senator in Georgia and as governor.

His presidency — remembered for the Camp David accords, the Iran hostage crisis and the creation of the Departments of Energy and Education — flamed out during the election of 1980, when Ronald Reagan defeated him.

After leaving the White House in 1981, Carter, then 56, and his wife, Rosalynn, returned to their hometown in southern Georgia. Yet another distinction: Carter has been a former American president longer than anyone.

He remains engaged in the causes and activities that matter most, the Carter Center's director of communications, Deanna Congileo, told The Washington Post earlier this year.

He participates in Carter Center programs in global peace and health and annual Habitat for Humanity builds, and he received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, for work during and after his time in office. He also continues to teach Sunday school lessons and courses at Emory University.

“Both President and Mrs. Carter are determined to use their influence for as long as they can to make the world a better place. Their tireless resolve and heart have helped to improve life for millions of the world's poorest people,” Congileo wrote in an email to The Washington Post in March, as he surpassed Bush's record for longest-living president.

In 2015, Carter announced doctors had discovered a form of melanoma that spread to his brain.

“I just thought I had a few weeks left, but I was surprisingly at ease,” Carter said at a news conference that August. “I've had an exciting and adventurous and gratifying existence.”

He received his first radiation treatment at 90. Four months later, he was — remarkably — cancer-free.

Bush, the 41st president, died on November 30, 2018. Carter attended the funeral in Washington, along with President Trump and former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton and, of course, Bush's son George W.

Carter says he takes pride in having “always told the truth.” He also says he is proud that former secretary of state Hillary Clinton and Senator Bernie Sanders (Independent-Vermont) “comported themselves with dignity, talked about issues that matter and presented a vision for our nation,” during the 2016 presidential election. Still, thinking back on more than 40 years, Carter told The Washington Post last year that he “regrets not doing more to unify the Democratic Party.”

His 2016 message to the younger generation of voters was: “Stay engaged. Stay involved. And be sure to vote.”

Last month, at a Carter Center event, the former president, who voted for Sanders in Georgia's 2016 Democratic primary, said he is keeping “an open mind” about the 2020 Democratic candidates.

“One of the major factors I will have in my mind is who can beat Trump,” he said.

At that same event, Carter was asked what it would take for him to run for president again. The questioner noted that Grover Cleveland had served two non-consecutive terms in the late 19th century.

“I hope there's an age limit,” Carter said with a big grin as he sat next to the former first lady.

“You know, if I were just 80 years old, if I was 15 years younger, I don't believe I could undertake the duties that I experienced when I was president,” he said. “For one thing, you have to be very flexible with your mind. You have to be able to go from one subject to another and concentrate on each one adequately and then put them all together in a comprehensive way.”

Carter added that presidents “also have to adopt new ideas.”

“The things I faced just in foreign affairs, I don't think I could undertake them if I was 80 years old,” he continued. “So 95 is out of the question. I'm having a hard time walking. I think the time has passed for me to be involved actively in politics, much less run for president.”

Deanna Paul covers national and breaking news for The Washington Post. She was part of the newspaper's team that was a finalist for the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Explanatory Reporting, revealing the vast number of unsolved homicides in America's major cities. Before joining The Post, she spent six years as a New York City prosecutor. Her work has also appeared in WIRED, Rolling Stone, The Guardian and the Marshall Project.

John Wagner is a national reporter who leads The Washington Post's new breaking political news team. He previously covered the Trump White House. During the 2016 presidential election, Wagner focused on the Democratic campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley. He earlier chronicled Maryland government for more than a decade, a stretch that included O’Malley's eight years as governor and part of the tenure of his Republican predecessor, Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. He came to The Post from The News & Observer in Raleigh, North Carolina, where he served as the paper's Washington correspondent, covering the 2004 presidential bid of Senator John Edwards and the final years in office of Senator Jesse Helms.

Related to this topic:

• VIDEO: Watch: Jimmy Carter's inauguration

• VIDEO: Four times former presidents implicitly rebuked President Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/10/01/jimmy-carter-once-thought-he-was-nearing-death-longest-living-former-us-president-just-turned
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 10:29:02 am »

It's rather interesting to compare former-President Jimmy Carter with the current piece of low-life trash residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

You couldn't possibly get a greater contrast between a real gentleman and genuine, lovely human being; and a nasty, corrupt, lying criminal arsehole.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: