Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 03:31:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Tired old racists…

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tired old racists…  (Read 463 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:03 pm »

from STUFF/Fairfax NZ....

Don Brash clashes with Kim Hill over his te reo stance

By BRAD FLAHIVE | 2:48PM - Saturday, 02 December 2017

Former Reserve Bank governor, leader of the National Party, and the ACT Party, Don Brash. — Photograph: David White.
Former Reserve Bank governor, leader of the National Party, and the ACT Party, Don Brash.
 — Photograph: David White.

EX-NATIONAL and ACT leader Don Brash has clashed with RNZ's Kim Hill about te reo on the airwaves.

Last week Brash made a scathing statement about Morning Report host Guyon Espiner's use of Māori greetings on the show, saying they were English-language broadcasts and should stay as such.

It was in support of an article written by Dave Witherow in the Otago Daily Times, in which he opined the fate of te reo Māori was far from New Zealand's most pressing problem.

On Hill's Saturday Morning show, the former Governor of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand claimed Espiner “spouting on” in Māori is pointless because “98 percent of people can't understand it” if it's not translated.

“There are 21 Māori language stations around the country funded by taxes, part of which I pay for, I have no problem with that at all, and we have a Māori television channel,” he said.

If they wanted to listen to te reo they should do it there, not on an English speaking radio station where it won't be understood, he said.

RNZ broadcaster Kim Hill thought Don Brash's idea of separating language went against the ideology of his lobby group Hobson's Pledge. — Photograph: Andrew Gorrie.
RNZ broadcaster Kim Hill thought Don Brash's idea of separating language went against
the ideology of his lobby group Hobson's Pledge. — Photograph: Andrew Gorrie.

Hill pointed out that his idea was advocating separatism, which seemed to be in conflict with his message that Māori should not receive political privilege because it caused separatism.

“I object to a political separatism, that they are give different political rights,” he said.

Brash fronts the lobbying group Hobson's Pledge which takes issue with the Treaty of Waitangi, among others.

Nearing the end of the 30 minute interview Brash conceded that some Māori words were better than their English equivalent, such as whānau.

“I use the word frequently because family doesn't quite cut it [and so] whānau is a useful addition to the vocabulary, but do I want to know about the things Guyon says in the morning? I don't know because I can't understand it,” he said.

Hill, reading texts from some of the listeners, said people enjoyed it just because it sounded nice, and it was considerate to Māori who were tangata whenua.

They're not tangata whenua, he said.

“For heaven's sake,” said Hill. “If only Sir Michael King were here today.”

Listen to Kim Hill's interview with Don Brash on RNZ.

Related to this topic:

• RNZ listener takes offence to ‘over Māori-fication’ of the station

• Is Don Brash's new Hobson's Pledge the support group that white people need?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/maori-language-week/99472015
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: