Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:50:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Taxpayers generously gift kiwirail employees over $57,000 each per year

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxpayers generously gift kiwirail employees over $57,000 each per year  (Read 747 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:04 pm »

The reason for the world-wide shortage of qualified and experienced rail operations staff is due to a number of reasons.

In New Zealand, the rot set in with privatisation of the national rail network during the 1990s.

The new private owners stopped training new operational staff (while they asset-stripped the company at the same time).

The result was an ever-growing shortage of those unique staff, which are incredibly expensive to train, and even whey they are qualified, it can still take years of experience to be considered an expert at skills such as train-handling over difficult terrain.

In the meantime, Australia experienced a mining boom, and the various mining companies over there found it was cheaper to lure Kiwi rail operations staff over the ditch by paying huge wages than to train their own staff. Various economic booms in other regions of the world also enticed Kiwi rail operations staff away, including to the USA where there are a large number of Kiwi locomotive engineers.

The result was the NZ national rail company having to pay ever-increasing wages to retain their staff. This included Tranz Rail (during the final days of the rip-off merchants), Toll Rail, and KiwiRail. They have also been dealing with what is a world-wide problem....an older age bubble amongst rail operations staff; and the fact that today's young folks don't stick around for decades....they are fickle and will do one job for a while, before buggering off to do something completely different. Or they will bugger off overseas chasing jobs with more money (world-wide, the rail transport industry is a growth industry, resulting in huge shortages of experienced, skilled staff).

Those capitalist wankers espoused global markets. Well, in some industries, that translated to global employment markets and in industries where there is a world-wide shortage of specific skills, we exploited it and played the capitalist wankers at their own globalisation games.

Plus, it helps if the workers stick together and stand up to employer efforts to water-down their conditions of employment. Remember the Nats' Employment Contract Act from the 1990s? It resulted in workers all around NZ being shit-on. Except in a few industries where the workers stayed united and stood up to their employers. Well I work for one of those industries where we stuck up for each other under the creed, “all for one and one for all” and as a result we prevented our employer from shitting on us.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
aDjUsToR
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »

Yes and there are quite a few industries in Aus where unions are pretty staunch and staff get paid well in them. Unfortunately they are sometimes staunch to the point of criminal acts of intimidation. John Howard introduced "work choices" which was his version of the anti collectivisation union smashing like NZ's employment contracts act. Generally speaking people who should be protected by unions are these days conned or bullied out of them. 
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 12:14:07 am »

Ktj...."The reason for the world-wide shortage of qualified and experienced rail operations staff..."

...sorry...what was that....is there a shortage of lazy dumbarse motherfuckers....where .....in NZ???

...you gotta be kidding...🙄
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 02:41:53 am »

Why do you think train drivers are "lazy dumbarse motherfuckers" Donald?
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 04:10:09 am »

Why do you think train drivers are "lazy dumbarse motherfuckers" Donald?

Yep....you're finally starting to get examples of why Reality/Donald is a nasty piece of shit-for-brains waste-of-space.
Report Spam   Logged

aDjUsToR

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:01 am »

Just clicked that you guys have been at war. Life is too short to get pissed off with people on the internet! 😁
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:06 am »

I KTJ apologise for going overboard.
I Donald apologise for going overboard.

Signed...
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 10:19:07 am »

https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.11842601.3479/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:36 pm »

Adj...."Why do you think train drivers are "lazy dumbarse motherfuckers" Donald?"

2 reasons

1)...I have watched them in action...several times..

2).... there is one here who is a prime example of the description🙄

....it's a rort.....as too much union power in a monopoly situation ....and. little competition often  ends up in overpaid employees...worked in oz for a few years....really obscene examples there....much like kiwirail here...wouldn't be so bad if the organization paid for itself....but the taxpayer will have donated over $700,000 per kiwirail employee by the end of this current funding period...the job scheme is just far to generous....there are poor bastards on $ 16/ per hour donating that money...it just ain't right.....National has been very weak on this situation

...the work requires little intelligence..it's on tracks for fucks sake......I think driving a bus would be a lot more demanding🙄
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:35 pm »

So a few blue collar workers get a good deal? So?
What about all the fat wankers running companies that provide appalling/shonky service, and provide paltry employee salaries and miserly conditions, and those bloated turds are still getting huge salaries and bonuses??😀
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »

Adj..."What about all the fat wankers running companies ..."

...the obvious difference being that you use those companies AT YOUR DISCRETION....if you wish..and their pay is for the shareholders (owners) to sort out...

The  paying of obscene amounts of money to public servants for extremely low productivity in brain dead jobs is taken from us by force...via tax....there is no choice...if only 😉
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 09:48:29 pm »

It sounds like somebody is jealous.

Suck eggs and eat my shit while I continue to earn big money and piss you off.
Report Spam   Logged

Donald

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »

Well it certainly ain't me....I would not entertain the thought of having a front lobotomy to work a public service job...life is to short for that shit.....I prefer ....."living life on the edge"😜.....challenges, keeping the mind alert....not ending up being a self centered, demented leftie....living in a cocoon😳

...we gotta pay for the intellectually challenged one way or another.....the benefit of having such a good govt is that  we can be so generous to our retards...no offence to retards🙄
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 11:06:23 am »

But not everyone is a "slick entrepreneur".
I'm not so sure a well disciplined public service and public services are a bad thing. I look at France, Norway (which has a lot of oil by the way), Sweden, Germany etc etc and they don't have the deranged anti public service mouth frothing that NZ and the US has but are highly desirable places to live (aside from recent suicidal immigration policy).
Report Spam   Logged
aDjUsToR

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 11:08:56 am »

Some of the excesses of salary can possibly be trimmed a bit but I don't begrudge decent jobs, so long as they aren't just a sheltered workshop for a select lucky few.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »

Everybody makes choices in their lives as to what they wish to do.

I left school and did an electrical apprenticeship, but a few years later went to work for the old Mechanical Branch of New Zealand Government Railways. That turned out to have been a very good decision, because I ended up as a locomotive engineer, and a few years later locomotive engineers ended up being in short supply worldwide and in recent years with the huge world-wide expansion in the rail transport industry, that has meant that the laws of supply & demand have served me really well as far as wages and conditions go. That, and belonging to a strong, democratic trade union which actually carries out the policies the membership demand of them, because the union officials are up for re-election every couple of years and they know they'll be replaced if they fail to carry out the policies the membership want.

Do you know that the Chinese are even running freight trains all the way from their industrial cities in the east of China to a freight distribution centre near London? They started that service in January this year and have had to considerably increase the number of trains on that route to keep up with demand. The Channel Tunnel has opened up opportunities for those sorts of ventures and the Chinese are the people who are seizing the opportunities created. The Chinese are calling that service the “New Silk Road” and it works both ways, with shipments of whisky from Scotland being amongst UK goods being transported by rail to China. No doubt the maritime shipping companies won't like what the Chinese are doing using rail transport.
Report Spam   Logged

Donald

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 08:39:23 pm »

Adj....."But not everyone is a "slick entrepreneur".

...no...and neither am I.....just always work hard and long all my life..and tried not to let people part me from I money....because thought I would always find a use for it...and hated the thought of having to take up  the indignity of being a trougher😜

...actually interesting you bring this up though...I think having spent slot of time in Thailand and SEA generally...it teaches a person a lot about being resourceful and frugal...amazing observing people eeking  out a living all around you all the time...most people here on a benefit of one sort or another would not have a clue about budgeting and living within their means...most will just lie to WINZ to get more...like an open chequebook ...as some politicians espouse 🙄

Adj...."I look at France, Norway (which has a lot of oil by the way), Sweden, Germany etc etc and they don't have the deranged anti public service mouth frothing that NZ and the US has but are highly desirable places to live (aside from recent suicidal immigration policy).

...yeah right...you try and tell Maoris that you want to drill for oil....to help improve NZs economy....they will try and stop it.....want the comforts....but not the sacrifice 😳
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 08:41:07 pm »

You are free to FUCK OFF to Texas if you don't like the way things are done in New Zealand.
Report Spam   Logged

Donald

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:30 pm »

...for christs sake...what ever you do...don't address the bebate....you may be mistaken as having a brain😳
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »

...ya gotta laugh at how pathetic kiwirail workers are...

..today I was driving home after a gruelling days work planting trees....I came up to a line of trucks travelling about 70kph....I wondered what could be the hold up.... a few k's later luckily there was a passing lane and I followed the trucks past the slow vehicle....which turned out to be a kiwirail light ute....with no load ...and 4 people in the vehicle......just another  observation of kiwirail workers pathetic productivity🙄
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2017, 12:04:58 pm »

...yup..time to cut our losses ...and get out of the kiwi rail work scheme🙄

Why rail is a Dead Duck

Rail is a dead duck. It doesn’t matter whether it is ‘high speed’, ‘light’, ‘lite’ or ‘commuter’. Its all a dead duck.

Within 20 to 30 years, rail lines around the world will either be abandoned or torn out and replaced by new roads.

That’s a bold call you may say, but the proponents of rail continue to look backwards and have not realised that we are on the verge of a transport revolution that will result in rail becoming as antiquated as the horse and cart.

Rail has been an efficient way of transporting large numbers of people from point A to point B for the last century, where Point A is approximately where people live and Point B is approximately where people work. You still have to get from your home to Point A and you still have to get from Point B to your work or airport or wherever your destination is. This takes time and is frustrating, especially in a sprawling city like Auckland that was never designed for rail.

Cars are an effective means of transporting people from where they live to their destination skipping the need to interchange through hubs. There is no intermediate steps. You get into your car in your garage and you step out of it at your office or destination. This is much more convenient and is why we love cars. The problem is that when many people all want this convenience, the roads quickly become congested and all of a sudden, cars become slow, inefficient and frustrating. Welcome to gridlock and the 1 hour commute.

For years, proponents of rail said that the answer was to sacrifice some of this convenience and build fast, light rail systems connecting suburbs and cities. This was a perfectly valid solution in the absence of any solution to the car congestion problem and cities around the world began building complex and efficient subway systems that transport millions of commuters every day. Its easy to look at these systems and think that they are the answer. However, as anyone who has travelled in New York, Sydney or London knows, the roads remain just as congested.

Times are a changing and the proponents of rail are failing to look forward at how the technology revolution that is currently occurring in the background will drastically change our futures.

The major issue with cars on roads is the human factor, humans are slow to react, erratic and selfish. When you put thousands of humans behind the wheels of cars, all trying to get to different places on narrow roads, you end up with gridlock.

To understand why we should be investing in roads not rail, imagine this future… Its a future that may seem as foreign to you now as putting a device in your pocket that can look up all the information in the world by speaking to it and instantly video calling the other side of the world did 20 years ago.

Its a future that is coming at us though, and it’s a future that is not a matter of if it will happen, but when.

In the future, very few people will need to own a car. A fleet of private and public electric vehicles will roam our streets with no drivers. When you want to go somewhere, you will simply tell the fleet where you are and where you want to go (using whatever seemingly magical device we use to communicate with in the future) and one of these cars will arrive at your location. You get in and the car begins driving you to your destination.

Each vehicle constantly communicates with every other vehicle. There are no traffic lights, the cars can whizz between each other avoiding a collision by centimetres at intersections seemingly by magic. They do not slow down at intersections, because each vehicle perfectly times its arrival and position to avoid collisions. They can safely travel at vastly higher speeds than our current cars because there is no human reaction time to consider.

If a car breaks down blocking the road, the entire fleet instantly re-routes around the problem so as not to cause congestion or bottlenecks.

This future has convenience and efficiency and does not have the constraints of only going between two specific hubs. It allows high utilisation of a vehicle fleet because you do not have to park the vehicles all day. This future allows rapid expansion of suburbs without needing major investments in infrastructure.

This future instantly adapts to demands and changes without the infrastructure meltdowns we currently experience when un-forecast demand exceeds our ability to supply capacity.

This future allows you to courier goods across town using the same infrastructure (have you ever tried couriering a package via a train).

This future is coming whether we like it or not and when it arrives, it will make rail irrelevant and antiquated.

Some say that this future cannot happen because some people will still want to drive their own cars. They will be constrained to “driver lanes” that only allow human drivers, they will struggle at intersections without lights and their high insurance premiums will quickly make them convert to the driverless future. In the end, it will just be too frustrating to drive manually and we will give it up to a technology that is much better at driving a car than we are. There will still be a time and a place for driving manualy, but increasingly it will be constrained to the race track and car antique fairs (yes one day your Toyota Corolla will be in an antique car fair and you will be reminiscing about the ‘good old days’ while wearing jeans and a faded Pink Floyd T-Shirt).

We should not be investing in major rail projects now and instead should be preparing for this future by building more roads. Roads that can cater to our current technology of choice (cars with drivers) while putting in place the infrastructure to allow future technology to roll out.

This future is coming fast and that is why, Rail is a dead duck.

C slater

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: