Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 08:24:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Unlike that Kiwi scaredy-cat Reality/Donald, Alaskans aren't frightened rats…

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlike that Kiwi scaredy-cat Reality/Donald, Alaskans aren't frightened rats…  (Read 208 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: July 09, 2017, 06:19:19 pm »

from The Washington Post....

‘I'm worried about moose, not missiles’.
Alaskans on North Korea threat: Shrug.

There have been times in Alaska's history when people have
been anxious about foreign powers. Now is not one of them.

By JULIA O'MALLEY | 7:27PM EDT - Saturday, July 08, 2017

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, as seen from Arctic Valley. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.
Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, as seen from Arctic Valley. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.

ANCHORAGE — There have been times in Alaska's history when people have had deep anxiety about foreign threats. The state was bombed and two of its islands were occupied by the Japanese in World War II. And it is, after all, the closest anyone can get to Russia and still be on American soil.

But nobody here seems all that worried right now.

With North Korea's test of an intercontinental ballistic missile last week, the news has been filled with speculation that a nuclear warhead could reach the Last Frontier and that Anchorage could be the most realistic U.S. target for destruction. But people here have been talking about the possibility of missile strikes for decades, and Alaskans tend to focus on more tangible hazards, like avalanches covering the highway, bear maulings at campgrounds, boating accidents and earthquakes.

“I'm worried about moose, not missiles,” quipped Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz. “Bears, not bombs.”

Besides, it's summertime. The residents of this far-flung outpost are obsessed with the outdoors. The days are long. The salmon are running.

They have other things on their minds.

“It's not something that keeps me up at night,” said Christine Homan, an elementary school teacher sitting at the counter at Wild Scoops ice cream shop with her husband, Zach, and sons, Leland, 4, and Colton, 6.

Christine Homan and Zach Homan eat ice cream with their sons at Wild Scoops in downtown Anchorage. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.
Christine Homan and Zach Homan eat ice cream with their sons at Wild Scoops in downtown Anchorage.
 — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.

Between bites of salmonberry ice cream, Todd Sherwood, an attorney who served in the Air Force for 15 years, said that if North Korea were to do anything serious, the U.S. military reaction would probably be “disproportionate” and severe. He doubts the threats are legitimate.

“I'm more worried about whether I'm going to fall off my paddleboard on an Alaska glacier lake this summer,” he said. “And I'm not all that worried about that.”

Part of Alaskans' dismissive attitude about North Korea might have something to do with the state's history of serious threats from foreign powers, said Michael Carey, a journalist and historian who grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska.

During World War II — on June 3rd, 1942 — the Alaskan town of Dutch Harbor was bombed by the Japanese, and days later two Aleutian islands, Attu and Kiska, were occupied. Lots of people who lived in Alaska in the 1950s and 1960s remember civil defense drills, siren tests, blackout curtains and radioactive isotopes in milk because of atmospheric nuclear testing. There are still homes in Anchorage with Cold War-era fallout shelters. The proximity to Russia made the fear real, Carey said.

“We knew, if the balloon went up, as they said it, that Fairbanks would be a smoking irradiated ruin,” Carey said. “The Russians were a really serious adversary we feared and respected. Just the hairdo of our friend Kim, he's just a sendup. We're supposed to think the fate of Earth is determined by North Korea? It might be, but it's just so easily laughed at.”

Some of the civil defense guides in Michael Carey's collection. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.
Some of the civil defense guides in Michael Carey's collection. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.

Ben Clayton, 65, a retired Anchorage fire captain, said he's not afraid.

“Here's the deal,” Clayton said, as he got a haircut at Bunn's Barbershop downtown . “We've always been within reach of nuclear weapons, we've got some proximity to some fairly well-known bad actors.”

Alaska has a number of military bases with the primary mission of fending off these kinds of threats, Clayton said, noting that the bases are strategic, their soldiers and airmen well-practiced. As he spoke, the sharp triangles of two military fighter jets from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson thundered overhead.

What is uncharted territory, he said, is the diplomatic style of the nation's current leadership in Washington.

“There was a period of time when I thought the State Department and the professional diplomats and, God help us, the president, could keep it even,” he said. “This is a true political black swan event.”

Adak, at the end of the Aleutian chain, is Alaska's western-most town, so far from Anchorage it's in another time zone. It was once a Navy base, home to thousands of people and specialized radar that was part of the country's missile defense system. The base closed in the 1990s, and about 100 people live there now. Locals are worked up about a schedule change in the island's twice-weekly jet service. North Korea doesn't figure.

“You'd have to be pretty crazy to pick Adak as a target,” said Adak resident Elaine Smiloff. “What's the reward for that?”

Cipriana Williams fishes with her niece Yukari at Ship Creek. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.
Cipriana Williams fishes with her niece Yukari at Ship Creek. — Photograph: Ash Adams/The Washington Post.

On Thursday evening, Cipriana Williams, 32, cast her line into Ship Creek near downtown Anchorage, looking for sockeye salmon. Her niece Yukari Williams, 5, sat next to her, playing games on an iPad.

She said she went fishing to get away from the ugliness of the news. There are all kinds of risks in life, she said, especially living in Alaska. Anchorage had a catastrophic earthquake in 1964, for example.

“You live here and you love it, but you know at any moment it could be like '64, and we're out,” she said. “It's just like a shake of the dice, I guess.”

Anchorage, like many cities, has a response plan for both man-made and natural disasters, said Berkowitz, the mayor. Chances are, if that plan gets activated, it won't be North Korea that prompts it.

“I'm worried about Juneau's ability to come up with a fiscal plan. I'm worried about Washington’s ability to come up with a solution on health care,” he said. “Those are things that have more impact on people here.”

Julia O'Malley reported from Anchorage, Alaska.

• Julia O'Malley is a freelance journalist who writes articles for numerous publications including The Washington Post and The Guardian. She holds the Atwood Chair of Journalism at University of Alaska in Anchorage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/im-worried-about-moose-not-missiles-alaskans-on-north-korea-threat-shrug/2017/07/08/457587c6-6350-11e7-8adc-fea80e32bf47_story.html
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »

Ha ha ha....the frightened scaredy cat is about to fart into this thread....
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

What's taking you so long, dumb moron?

Can you only type with one finger? 
Report Spam   Logged

Donald
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »

I apologize , I am currently on a business trip in SEA, namely Thailand and Cambodia representing NZ business interests looking at property investments, and internet is a bit intermittent here  ...but..in answer..

Ktj......"ANCHORAGE — There have been times in Alaska's history when people have had deep anxiety about foreign threats. The state was bombed and two of its islands were occupied by the Japanese in World War II."

....excellent choice of example...any idea how that "deep anxiety" was alleviated ...very quickly😉

...I know how supportive you have always been of that "deep anxiety" being cured by the use of nuclear bombs...you must be so happy for the people of Alaska😜
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:34 pm »

I am currently on a business trip in SEA, namely Thailand and Cambodia representing NZ business interests looking at property investments,

Fake news” from a do-nothing nobody. You're a liar.

You could always prove me wrong by putting up proof you are on a business trip in SEA.

But as I KNOW you are bullshitting, I KNOW you won't put up proof.
Report Spam   Logged

Donald

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »

What do you think would be an easy way to prove it...today I am in Sihanoukville a seaside tourist area of Cambodia...I guess you have travelled the world extensively ....from your vast experience on all matters😉
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »

I don't believe you. Prove it.
Report Spam   Logged

Donald

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:14:59 pm »

No problem, what do you want...inSihanoukville today, kampot tomorrow, then Kep, then up to Phnom Penh, then back over to Bangkok....hey it's a tough job...but some poor bastard has to do it😜.....just picked the short straw😉

But I guess a rail worker would not quite fit the tough prerequisites required for this position🙄
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »

Just going to go down and have a $.50 (50 cents) ice cold draught Bert a beachfront bar now🍻...cheers😜
Report Spam   Logged
Donald

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:47:00 pm »

Yeah...this really is "living life on the edge"... a little bit different than being in the kiwirail trough , sucking the taxpayer tit dry....for people who can't get a real job😉
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: