Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:06:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

FISH ‘N’ CHIPS

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FISH ‘N’ CHIPS  (Read 6005 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 10:38:25 pm »

The scoop on hot chips

By BRIDGET JONES - Auckland Now | Thursday, 18 August 2011

One basket of french fries at the Swashbucklers Restaurant costs $4. — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.
One basket of french fries at the Swashbucklers Restaurant costs $4. — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.

THEY'RE right up there in the national psyche with the Sunday roast and Pavlova — no rugby game, pub visit or piece of fish is quite right without them.

But when it comes to the humble hot chip, are New Zealanders getting a good deal? Or are we paying more and getting less potato than ever?

Kiwis eat about seven million servings of hot chips each week, but with prices in many pubs nudging double figures for an average size bowl of fries, consumer watchdogs say the real value for money comes in takeaway chips.

Consumer NZ chief executive Sue Chetwin says the key is to shop around and take note of not only the price and scoop size, but also the size of the chip itself for best value for money.

A bowl of thick fries served up by Sale Street can set you back $10. — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.
A bowl of thick fries served up by Sale Street can set you back $10. — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.

A bowl of chunky chips costs $10 at Sale Street and $9.50 at new North Wharf bar Jack Tar in Auckland. At Squid Row, they'll set you back $7.

But there are bargains to be had.

The biggest bowl of fries in the Auckland Now survey was served at Swashbucklers for a comparatively cheap $4. (And there's always the $2.80 scoop of chips to take away at award-winning chippie Auckland Fish Market).

For $2.80, you can get a box of french fries served up at the Auckland Fish market. — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.
For $2.80, you can get a box of french fries served up at the Auckland Fish market.
 — JOHN SELKIRK/Auckland Now.

Only one thing is certain: inconsistent portion size.

The Chip Group, an industry organisation made up of growers, chip manufacturers and oil suppliers, says a recommended serving size, or scoop, is approximately 330g. But it seems this isn't always the case.

Chairman of The Chip Group, Glenda Gourley, says hot chips are unique in their difference.

"We believe it's the only food in New Zealand that you go and buy and you've got no idea what you're buying."

"You go and buy a kilogram of apples, you get a kilogram of apples. You go and buy chips, you've got no idea what you're getting until you get it," she says.

"The range of serving sizes is just so extreme."

Gourley says by having a set size, it makes it easier for restaurants to work out their costings and consumers can have some certainty about what they are getting.

She says the cost of hot chips, however, is up to the seller.

"What sells in some environments is different in others."

"We just want consumers to have a good deal, we want it fair."

Gourley has a few tips for home cooks wanting to take the guess work out of things:

• A larger surface area means healthier chips, so cut potatoes into thicker chunks.

• Keep the skin on — that's where a lot of the nutrients are.

• Use polyunsaturated oil, like sunflower oil, when cooking them.

Here is Gourley's favourite at-home, healthy chip recipe:

Basic crunchy chips

Serves 4.

Ingredients:

• 4-6 large, floury potatoes
  • 1-2 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • ¼ cup flour
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Method:

• Preheat oven to 200°C.

• Scrub potatoes, do not peel. Cut into wedges.

• Place potatoes, paprika, mustard powder, flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Shake well to evenly coat potatoes.

• Heat oil in baking dish for 2-3 minutes before adding wedges.

• Bake in preheated oven, uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until wedges are golden brown and crunchy.

• Turn once during cooking.

• Serve with light sour cream or tomato salsa.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/5467916/The-scoop-on-hot-chips
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

Fake fish orders batter shop's profit

By SALLY KIDSON - The Nelson Mail | 1:00PM - Wednesday, 24 August 2011

COD WALLOPED: Seabreeze City Takeaways owner Calvert James is sick of people making $80-plus phone orders and not picking them up. — MARTIN DE RUYTER/The Nelson Mail.
COD WALLOPED: Seabreeze City Takeaways owner Calvert James
is sick of people making $80-plus phone orders and not picking
them up. — MARTIN DE RUYTER/The Nelson Mail.

A NELSON takeaway owner is offering a cash reward to help catch a mystery caller who is ordering about $150 of food each week and then not turning up to pay for it.

Seabreeze City Takeaways owner Calvert James said that over the past month, his shop had been getting prank orders twice a week.

He estimated that the food ordered but not paid for was costing about $150 a week, which was a lot of money to a small business, especially in the current economic climate. "It's just as bad as someone coming into the shop and stealing."

On Monday night, Mr James' usual night off, someone using the name Dylan Bruce ordered $88.70 worth of food, including five blue cod — the most expensive fish on the menu — and four burgers, which was not picked up.

Whoever was placing the orders knew the shop, he said.

They were ordering a "weekend pack", which was unique to his shop, and they also ordered burgers, as they seemed to know they took a long time to cook.

Mr James said he had contacted the police, and Telecom would try to trace the caller.

He said the calls were being made when the shop was busy, and came from a private line, which meant the number did not show on the shop phone's caller display.

The shop would now be taking a phone number for phone orders from private numbers, and would call the number back before starting to cook the order.

When the shop was busy, having to go to those lengths slowed things down, he said.

The prank caller was also affecting genuine customers, as there had been several occasions when staff had not started cooking a phone order because they were suspicious, only for the customer to come in and their food was not ready, Mr James said.

He had thought of all sorts of scenarios of who might be behind the hoax calls. He and his wife bought the shop in December and moved to Nelson from Blenheim, so he did not believe he had too many enemies.

He said he was happy to offer a $100 cash reward to anyone who could provide information leading to the identification of the caller.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/business/5499914/Fake-fish-orders-batter-shops-profit
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

Best hot chips finalists named

Auckland dominates hot chip finals

By JESSICA TASMAN-JONES - Auckland Now! | 11:31AM - Tuesday, 06 September 2011

HOT PROPERTY: Six Auckland stores have dominated the country's “best chip” competition.
HOT PROPERTY: Six Auckland stores have dominated
the country's “best chip” competition.

TRENDY inner-city eateries may like to charge a premium for a plate of fries, but it's surburban takeaways where connoisseurs should get their fix.

Finalists in the Best Chip Shop Competition have been announced today.

Six are from the Auckland region, but forget Ponsonby, Parnell and Mount Eden — there's not a fancy, central city chippie in sight.

Big J's Takeaway in Mount Wellington, Oceanz in Botany Downs, Fish Stop in Glen Eden, Oceanz Seafood in Albany, Oceanz Seafood in Silverday, and Ivan's Takeaway in Glenfield are the six finalists.

And it's a similar story in the Wellington region, where the top tasters can be found at Lower Hutt’s So Fine Seafood, Fish Spot the Plaza in Palmerston North and Mac’s Fresh Fish & Chips in Masterton. And Nelson picks up two spots among the South Island finalists with Victory Square Fish & Chips and Seabreeze City Takeaways.

They will compete against 12 others across the country to take out New Zealand's only best chip competition.

Judging is not open to any old chip shop. Potential competitors must be part of the Chip Group which is dedicated to creating an industry standard for cooking the greasy treat.

Chip Group chairman Glenda Gourley says its guidelines are dedicated to creating the "tastiest and best quality" chips, but also ones that are healthier.

"These guidelines cover chip size, oil temperature, cooking/deep-frying, basket drainage, oil maintenance, filtering and cleaning, salt, frying oils and chip portion size."

The competition is determined by a combination of public voting, mystery judging and laboratory analysis.

The supreme winner will be announced in October.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/whats-on/food/5572175/Best-hot-chips-finalists-named
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »

CHIPS

The full list of regional finalists and highly commended chip shops can be viewed here....

• “The Best Chip Shop” Competition 2011 — Regional Finalists

It's good to see that my local Fish 'n' Chip shop in Masterton is one of the three Manawatu-Wellington regional finalists....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »

Chip shop back at top

By SARAH HARDIE - Wairarapa Times-Age | Thursday, 08 September 2011

COOKING UP A STORM: Maggie and Michael Dai, owners of Mac's Fresh Fish and Chips, which was highly commended in the National Chip Shop Competition.
COOKING UP A STORM: Maggie and Michael Dai,
owners of Mac's Fresh Fish and Chips,
which was highly commended in the
National Chip Shop Competition.

MAC'S FRESH FISH & CHIPS of Masterton has come out on top for the fourth time in the National Chip Shop Competition, after being named a regional finalist.

Maggie and Michael Dai, who have owned the shop since 2005, also won the award in 2007, 2008 and 2009, and feel "very lucky" to be named the best fish and chip shop in Masterton.

"We are really lucky. Masterton is a small town, so we are lucky to be named a finalist," Mrs Dai said.

The key to a good chip, Mr Dai said, was to time each order and keep the oil temperature between 175°C and 180°C. "We always time it and, most of the time it's three minutes for chips, but if the customer wants it more crispy we put it on for an extra 30 seconds."

It has been a good year for the Dais, as they have also given the shop a makeover and doubled its size.

"In February we got a brand-new bench and new floors, which are really nice, and we opened up the kitchen so the customers can see how we cook the fish and chips," Mrs Dai said.

Mr Dai enjoys the new kitchen and loves impressing customers with his cooking.

"If the customer is happy, it makes me very happy."

http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/macs-is-the-top-chip-shop-again/1095994
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »

The best fish and chips?

THE OMNIVORE

By JEREMY TAYLOR - Stuff Lifestyle Blogs | 11:20AM - Friday, 11 November 2011

So Fine SeafoodsSo Fine Seafoods

RECENTLY, on a quick jaunt to Taita in the Hutt Valley, I recalled seeing that there was a fish and chip shop in Avalon that had been the only Wellington area finalist in this year's nationwide "Best Chip Shop" competition. Naturally, I felt compelled to go sample their wares, and report back to you, dear reader, as to whether they were worthy contestants.

I don't actually eat fish and chips all that often, and not because I don't like it, or I am trying to be healthy (pfft!) or anything like that. It's because, to (mis-)quote a phrase — when they are good they are very, very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

I have had too many bad fish and chip meals to take any chances on them being crappy. And, it would seem, the really great fish and chips are few and far between. Sometimes a place that was good (ahem) jumps the shark. It's a bloody minefield out there...

There are factors to consider. The first is how the place feels when you enter. I reckon a good chipper sort of exudes confidence in what they are doing, that what they are doing is good. The menu is also important — a really good chip shop will have different kinds of fresh fish, and will do them battered or crumbed, to order. They will represent some staples of the oeuvre — the battered hot dog, the pineapple fritter (wrong, but right), the humble potato fritter.

But ultimately, I reckon a chip shop lives or dies on the strength of those two things — their standard, basic fish, and their chips. What do I want from the fish? I want it to be fleshy and moist, with the crispy (not soggy) crumb or batter insulating it against the hot oil (which should be clean and changed regularly). I want the chips to be similarly crispy, but with nice, soft insides. I mean, it shouldn't have to be rocket surgery, but it is still hugely dependent on how much those cooking care about what they do — the freshness of the fish, the cleanliness of the surrounds, their commitment to making great fish and chips.

Thinking back to having fish and chips as a kid, I remember getting to order two "things" — maybe a fish and a hotdog, plus chips. Those things were yours, regardless, so it was in your best interests to eat as many chips as possible before tucking into them. Maybe it is a trick of memory, but I seem to remember a scoop of chips in those days being a vast, towering pile — is a smaller "scoop" employed now?

So how does So Fine Seafoods stack up? Well, it looks pretty immaculate. The exterior is freshly painted and looks slick, which is, of course, not essential, but does inspire confidence. On entering, it looks clean and well maintained. There is no unpleasant odour from the deep fryers, the menu ticks all the boxes, and their many awards for involvement (plus their 2008 victory!) in the Best Chip Shop awards are prominently displayed — fair enough, too.

What turns out to be the business owner, Anthony Cho, takes our order — standard crumbed fish and chips, times two — it comes to just over a tenner, which is great value. They have different types of chips — straight or crinkle cut (crinkle cut chips! YES!). He coats the fish on the spot and throws it in the fryer.

It is served, appetisingly, in a little cardboard box with a lemon wedge and my choice of salt (plain, thanks). There appears to be very little oil escaping from the food — a good sign. It means they have been properly drained.

It is delicious; there is a good reason why this shop has been in business for so long — they are good at what they do, and they care about it. I thank Anthony and ask if I can take some photos. He starts to delve into the politics of the awards and the cut-throat world of top-drawer chippers. It is quite fascinating. Unfortunately, I can't share it here, though — some of it is potentially libellous.

A good fish and chip shop is a great staple, a hub of its community, and one where, if best practices are observed, great food can be served at a very reasonable price. And So Fine Seafoods in Avalon is a shining example of this.

So where is your favourite fish and chip shop? What are your requirements for perfect fish and chips? Where were the best you have ever had, and what made them so good?

• Join The Omnivore on Facebook.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/the-omnivore/5947093/The-best-fish-and-chips

• WINNERS OF THE BEST CHIP SHOP COMPETITION 2011
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »

Dud spuds batter fish 'n' chip lovers

By KURT BAYER - APNZ | 1:35PM - Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Photo: Thinkstock.

THE Canterbury earthquakes have claimed another victim — a drop in the quality of our beloved fish 'n' chips.

Dozens of takeaway shops across Christchurch are apologising to their customer base for the recent drop in chip standards.

Chips are burning in friers, which is driving punters away.

Shop owners are blaming a rise in water table levels affecting the quality of potatoes being pulled out of the ground, which is resulting in a low-quality takeaway product.

Russley Fish Supply on Cutts Road has a sign on the counter which states: ‘Sorry the potatoes are burnt. We need to use Mr Chips chips until the new season potatoes come in December. Thank you.’

Shop owner Mark Zhi Li Zhang said this season's crop of potatoes are the worst that he has experienced in more than 15 years.

He said: "They say it's to do with the water levels after the earthquakes. It has been a problem for everyone."

"We are now using Mr Chips' chips in the meantime because our usual chips just burn."

Kaiapoi chip shop on Ohoka Road also displays a hand-written sign apologising for burnt chips, blaming old potatoes.

It stated: ‘Dear customer, we are sorry for the poor quality of the chips at this present time due to the cold weather. It has affected our potatoes badly which may cause them to burn slightly, kind regards’'

Shop owner Simon Pham, 40, said he has tried everything but without luck.

He said: "My customers are getting used to it now, but business has dropped by up to 30 oer cent."

"We cook 70 tonnes a year — a very large quantity — and this is the worst year I've had in the 10 years I've been here."

"The cold winter meant the farm supply of potatoes has been bad. Our local farm supplier had to dump 150 tonnes because of it."

"Suppliers blame the high water content because of the earthquakes, but I'm not sure, especially since some areas that weren't affected by the quake are still bad."

"I've tried seven different farms in Canterbury."

"We've tried lots of different things — different cooking temperatures, or soaking them longer in warm water — but there's nothing we can do."

Chip shop owners will have to wait until later this month, or into the New Year before the problem is resolved with the arrival of the new season's potatoes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10771302
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »

Top 10: Fish and chip shops

Where to find the good batter in Wellington

CAPITAL LIFE - The Dominion Post | 10:43AM - Tuesday, 10 January 2012

CRUNCHY: Wellington is home to so many options when it comes to the classic Kiwi favourite fish and chips, but which is best? — Photo: Fairfax NZ.
CRUNCHY: Wellington is home to so many options when it comes to the classic Kiwi favourite
fish and chips, but which is best? — Photo: Fairfax NZ.

THERE ARE so many options for takeaways in the capital, with fish and chips among the most popular — so which shops come recommended? We give you the inside scoop.

• If it's a crispy batter that gets your heart racing, try the fish at Wellington Trawling Sea Market in upper Cuba Street. It offers a range of fresh fish from the morning's catch, and a good serving of chips. 220 Cuba Street.

• So popular it has its own Facebook fan page, Te Aro Fish Supplies is known for big helpings of chips and big burgers. The paua fritters come strongly recommended. 85 Aro Street, Aro Valley.

• People will drive across town to get to Starfish Fish and Chips To Go in Thorndon. They do a beautiful piece of fish, although you will need to pay extra if you like them crumbed. 146 Molesworth Street, Thorndon.

• A favourite among Newtown residents, family business Fish Fins does big, almost wedge-sized chips and a lightly battered fish with lemon pepper seasoning. 170 Riddiford Street, Newtown.

• For those who can't quite make a trip into the city, Raumati Fish Supply fillets locally caught fish every morning, hand-cuts chips and makes its own hamburger patties. 344 Rosetta Road, Raumati Beach.

• Seaview Takeaways in Lyall Bay is popular with locals — so popular there are lengthy waits on sunny Friday and Saturday evenings. Suitably greasy but not too much, and their noodle dishes are damn good, too. 92 Lyall Bay Parade.

• Wadestown Seafoods, a reader told us last year, rates 10 out of 10. "They use fresh fish and clean oil. There are great additions to the standard fare, like stuffed chicken wings and crispy chicken." 15 Sefton Street.

• Another reader recommended Linden Fish & Chips. "Our family goes into denial each year when they close for a break. Nowhere else comes close. We've even eaten at Rick Stein's fish and chip restaurant in [Cornwall], and while the fish was great there, overall we still prefer our local." 1 Collins Avenue, Linden.

• And another recommended Plimmerton Fish Supply. "Beautiful, fresh fish in delicious, crispy batter, golden chips fried in canola oil, served by your friendly hosts ... rating 10/10 — the daily crowds and queues are testament to their popularity." 2 Beach Road, Plimmerton.

• A recent Dominion Post survey showed some other popular deep-fry havens, such as Johnsonville Fish Supply, 11 Johnsonville Road.

• So Fine Seafoods, 2 Tennyson Avenue, Lower Hutt, also scored highly.

FISH 'n' CHIPS! — Photo: Fairfax NZ.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/6233500/Top-10-Fish-and-chip-shops
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 04:28:23 pm »

A fresh take on fish and chips

By MICHELLE BRIDGES - Fairfax NZ | Wednesday, 22 August 2012

FISH & CHIPS: Take away the fat from this traditional takeaway and enjoy the results.
FISH & CHIPS: Take away the fat from this traditional
takeaway and enjoy the results.

DEEP-FRIED battered fish and chips...

Taste: greasy.

Nutritional value: questionable.

After-effects: bloated, queasy tummy.

BAKED FISH with sweet potato chips...

Taste, nutritional value and after-effects: sensational!

You can spice up this dish by adding herbs and spices to the breadcrumbs: try crushed dill seeds, fresh tarragon or fresh thyme.

FISH & CHIPS

Ingredients:

• olive oil spray
  • 300g sweet potato, peeled
  • 250g firm white fish fillets
  • 1 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 small egg, lightly beaten
  • ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
  • sea salt (optional)
  • lemon wedges, to serve
  • 2 large handfuls mixed salad leaves, to serve

Method:

• Preheat oven to 220ºC. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and lightly spray with oil.

• Cut sweet potato into 1.5cm-thick slices. Cut slices into chips and place on prepared tray. Spray lightly with oil and bake for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

• Meanwhile, cut fish into 15cm x 5cm strips. Toss in flour, then dip in egg and coat with breadcrumbs. Place on second tray and place into oven with sweet potato. Bake fish for 5-10 minutes, depending on thickness.

• Serve baked fish with chips, a pinch of salt, if desired, lemon wedges and mixed leaves.

Serves 2.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/7526227/A-fresh-take-on-fish-and-chips
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »

Capital Life: Leaner fish and chips

By ALISON and SIMON HOLST - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 22 August 2012

GOLDEN DELICIOUS: Oven-baked fish & chips hit the spot. — Photo: LINDSAY KEATS.
GOLDEN DELICIOUS: Oven-baked fish & chips hit the spot.
 — Photo: LINDSAY KEATS.

LIKE MOST KIWIS, we are partial to fish and chips. That said, neither of us particularly like the fuss, mess and smell that always is associated with deep frying. This method solves these problems and is also much lower in fat.

Oven-baked Fish & Chips

For 4 servings:

Ingredients:

• 4 large (800g-1kg in total) potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 4 boneless, skinless fish fillets (150g each)
  • cup self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • tsp ground cumin (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1 or 2 eggs

Method:

• Turn the oven to 225 degrees Celsius (preferably set to fan bake) with two shelves, one a little below the middle, the other above the first, near the top of the oven.

• Scrub the potatoes and cut them lengthways first into halves, then into quarters, and then into eighths. Put the wedges in a large bowl or plastic bag and drizzle with the first measure of oil.

• Shake or stir gently, to lightly coat with the first measure of oil.

• Arrange the potatoes in a single layer, on a large, shallow baking try lined with baking paper and bake on the lower shelf for about 15-20 minutes, turning chips once or twice.

• While the chips cook, prepare the fish fillets. Mix the flour with the seasonings in a shallow bowl. Line another shallow metal dish, big enough to hold the fish in one layer, with baking paper and coat with non-stick spray.

• Beat the egg with a fork, just enough to combine the white and the yolk evenly.

• When the chips are nearly cooked (about 12 minutes before you want to eat), put the prepared baking dish in the oven to heat for about 1 minute. While it heats, pat the fillets dry and coat first with the seasoned flour, then with the beaten egg, then again with the flour. Working fast, put the fillets in the preheated dish and drizzle them with the second measure of oil.

• Place the fish on the shelf above the chips and cook for about 8 minutes altogether, turning with a fish slice after 5 minutes. Take the fish from oven as soon as the centre of each fillet seems cooked (it will be dry and tough if overcooked).

• Serve the fish and chips promptly, with lemon or lime wedges and a side salad.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/in-the-kitchen/7523278/Recipe-Leaner-fish-and-chips
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 04:07:55 pm »

NZ's finest fish & chips

Deep-fried potatoes and fish wrapped in paper — it's a
national institution. Here are the best of the best ...

By AIMEE GULLIVER - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Friday, 27 September 2013

A TRUE CLASSIC: We certainly take our fish and chips seriously down here in Aotearoa.
A TRUE CLASSIC: We certainly take our fish and chips
seriously down here in Aotearoa.

SILVERDALE brothers who have fish and chips in their genes have been crowned the kings of the chippies, taking out the national title of New Zealand's Best Chip Shop.

Daniel and Richard Billington, owners of the Oceanz Seafood shop on the Hibiscus Coast Highway, have been keeping it in the family — they worked in their parents' fish and chip shop throughout their teens, and took over the Silverdale shop three years ago.

The pair beat five other finalists to scoop the title of Best Chip Shop Competition Champion 2013.

The brothers were "absolutely delighted" with the win.

"We just found out this morning and it's been quite a buzz since then," Richard said.

"It's taken a while for it to sink in but we've all got smiles from ear to ear that we have finally done it. It's all been rather exciting, actually."

"We're looking forward to celebrating with all our crew and thanking them for the part they have played in this success."

The competition is run every two years by The Chip Group, and Oceanz Seafood won the national title in 2009 under previous management.

Under the Billngton brothers, the shop took the regional title in 2011 and again this year, and has now gained top honours once again.

One key judging criteria were delicious chips that still manage to have a lower fat content, and all entrants' chips were independently lab tested.

All the finalists and highly-commended shops achieved chips with a fat content of below nine per cent.

Judges were impressed with Oceanz Seafood's salt-free chips — customers are provided with a sachet to use if they wish, and with the 300g portion size being stated on the menu.

Chip taste, quality, shop cleanliness and customer service were also factors in judging entrants, and Oceanz Seafood had the edge, judges said.

"The chips just tasted fantastic! The operators obviously used light, clean oil and drained the chips well, so it didn't dominate the flavour."

Richard said high quality product and exceptional care of oil were vital to their product.

"Every chip is different and every batch of chips is different, and you have to be aware of that and adjust your cooking methods accordingly," he said.

"Adhering to The Chip Group industry standards is really important. Giving a very good shake and bang gives much crisper, dryer chips. When they hear the banging our customers joke that we are panel beating our chips, but it makes all the difference to the end product."

The shop also serves its chips up in cardboard trays, rather than wrapping them, which made them easier to eat as well as keeping the chips crisper.

Heart Foundation food industry nutritionist Judith Morley-John welcomed the fact that all competition participants were required to have undergone and have a current certificate for The Chip Group's free online industry training.

"The impact of training was reflected in the lower chip fat content for the 48 Highly Commended shops (7.8%) compared with 9.9% for the 18 regional finalists winners in the previous competition," Ms Morley-John said.

Chip Group Chair and food educator Glenda Gourley said the competition was an excellent way to raise awareness of the possibility of producing delicious chips with the lowest possible fat content.

"The reduction in fat content this time round is awesome," she said.

"Kiwis love hot chips and this gives customers confidence that the operators displaying a current Chip Group certificate really know what they are doing. The skill of the operator has a huge impact on the chip."

The other five regional finalists were:

❏ Auckland-wide: Greenwoods Fresh Catch, Epsom.

❏ Waikato-Bay of Plenty-Hawkes Bay: Queen Vic Chippy, Cambridge.

❏ Manawatu-Wellington: Fish King Takeaways, Feilding.

❏ Nelson-Christchurch: Victory Square Fish and Chips, Nelson.

❏ Timaru-Southland: The Naked Chip, Waimate.

• To view full results from the Best Chip Shop competition, CLICK HERE.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/capital-life/in-the-kitchen/9214289/NZs-finest-fish-chips
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2016, 11:32:15 pm »

from The New Zealand Herald....

Most important meal of the day?
Kiwis swapping breakfast for fast food!

5:30AM - Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Kiwis have confessed to having reheated fish and chips for breakfast.
Kiwis have confessed to having reheated fish and chips for breakfast.

COULD the most important meal of the day be … reheated fish and chips?

Research from breakfast food giant Sanitarium has revealed Kiwis are snubbing healthy options and tucking into leftover takeaways for their morning lift.

Only a quarter of New Zealanders surveyed said they ate healthy food at breakfast time. That's despite 93 percent of those surveyed understanding the importance of a good breakfast.

Instead people have confessed chowing down on cold pizza, chocolate, icecream, leftover party food, reheated fish and chips, pavlova, beer and cornflakes.

Alarmingly many said they didn't even bother to eat breakfast with nearly a third of respondents admitting they went without at least twice a week.

Young millennials were the most likely to go without a healthy breakfast with almost half of those aged 18-24 saying they usually skipped it most days of the week.

Instead they were replacing it with a cup of tea, coffee or chocolate.

Sanitarium nutritionist Susan Buxton said it was disappointing to see how many of us were still not eating a nutritious breakfast.

“Most fast food breakfasts are not ideal as they are generally energy dense and nutrient poor meaning that they are high kilojoules and usually also high in fat and sugar and low in fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals,” said Buxton.

She said while many fast food outlets are trying to provide better options, those going to eat at these outlets might not necessarily choose the healthier choice.

The survey also found the age-old tradition of sitting down to eat breakfast with the family appeared to be going by the wayside.

Just over 10 percent of those surveyed had breakfast every morning of the week with family but more than a third of adults aged under 25 said they never have breakfast at home.

Parents of preschool and school-aged children were more likely to spend time around the kitchen table with their children sitting down with the family for between two and six mornings each week to eat breakfast.

The study also revealed that Kiwis were creatures of habit with more than two thirds of us eating the same breakfast for at least half of the week.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11606305
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 11:16:36 am »

from Fairfax NZ....

• Fish and chips choices get ethical as Forest and Bird releases new Best Fish Guide

• Forest and Bird: Best Fish Guide
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: