Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 12:21:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

KT 2

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KT 2  (Read 156 times)
guest49
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:35 pm »

Another lot you might appreciate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3598540/The-Photographer-captures-pin-sharp-images-final-55-airworthy-Spitfires-using-just-handheld-camera.html

And

An old favourite of mine... 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:38:17 pm »

That was the late Ray Hanna flying that Spitfire in the video clip (I've seen it before, several years ago).

He used to fly Tim Wallis' Spitfire Mk.XVI that low while displaying it at Warbirds Over Wanaka airshows.

The civil aviation people in attendance at the airshow used to look the other way whenever he did an extremely low (illegal) flypast in front of the crowd.

As a matter of interest, the father of a friend of mine in Wellington was Ray Hanna's best mate when they were kids at school growing up in Auckland during the 1940s. They were in the ATC together while teenagers and in 1947, they both applied to join the RNZAF to train as pilots on a short-service commission. My friend's dad was accepted and completed his training before becoming a transport pilot, flying C-47 Dakotas, until near the end of his commission when he was sent to England to convert onto Bristol Freighters, then deliver one of the RNZAF's new freighters to NZ (I think it took him two weeks to fly it out here). In 1953 his commission was up and he was offered an extension, but chose instead to join TEAL where he flew Solent flying-boats, then DC-6s, Electras, then DC-8s and DC-10s with Air New Zealand before retiring. He is now in his late 80s and is the only ex-TEAL Solent flying-boat pilot still alive. His mate, Ray Hanna, was rejected by the RNZAF (would you believe it?) but applied to join the RAF instead and was accepted, then went on to a distinguished military aviation career, culminating in leading the RAF Red Arrows team for many years, before retiring and building up a collection of WWII warbirds based at Duxford in England. Two of the aeroplane's in Ray's collection were the Curtis P-40E Kittyhawk and Goodyear FG-1 Corsair, both ex-RNZAF wartime fighters which saw service in the Solomon Islands, and which are now based at Hood Aerodrome in Masterton less than 4km from my place.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 10:40:20 am »

Paula was due to leave from airport at 4:30 pm on 24th May.
I had told her I would wave to the plane as it flew over Mosgiel

From me to her on wordfued messaging:

I didn't see the plane did it leave 4:30? 

I was out there and a bloody woman came to front door selling power company

From Paula in reply to mine:

Plane had major computer outage. Didn't take omg till bout 7pm. Lot or irate people

Lucky she wasn't on this one

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/80395402/it-was-bloody-scary--door-opens-midair-during-domestic-nz-flight

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
guest49
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:21 am »

While disconcerting, I doubt there would have been any real danger, unless someone decided to go for a walk.

Been in Hercs when the rear ramp is deployed at altitude - and skydivers use open door aircraft all the time
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:11 pm »

Strange though, how Paula's Dunedin Airport flight time coincided with what seems to be the date and time of the story:  Makes me wonder whether her delayed flight (Plane had major computer outage) was because of the Kaitaia to Auckland one's door problem

Passengers on a flight from Kaitaia to Auckland say they were terrified to see the plane's door appear to come ajar. 
The incident happened on Tuesday as six passengers were on-board the Barrier Air plane, TVNZ reported.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/80395402/it-was-bloody-scary--door-opens-midair-during-domestic-nz-flight

Somewhat abbreviated

While disconcerting, I doubt there would have been any real danger, unless someone decided to go for a walk.

Been in Hercs when the rear ramp is deployed at altitude - and skydivers use open door aircraft all the time
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:31:19 pm by nitpicker1 » Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:36:18 pm »

Correction to my previous post?

...The Piper Chieftain plane left Kaitaia for Whangarei about 4.30pm on Tuesday with six passengers and the pilot aboard, before it then completed a flight from Whangarei to Auckland in "rough weather" with five passengers. ...

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/business/engineers-inspect-plane-after-door-opens-whangarei-auckland-flight

Perhaps Paula meant that the computer glitch was in bookings for her flight!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: