Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 03:21:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

KT

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KT  (Read 209 times)
guest49
KT
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:20:07 pm »

A month or so back.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 10:29:53 am »

nice  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
guest49
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:37:51 am »

I recall as a child, the whistle of the shunting engines at the New Plymouth yards.  We lived miles away on the other side of town [Upper Westown] and we knew it was going to rain when we heard them. [of course what it was primarily, was that the wind was from the north.  Cheesy]

I still get a nostalgic shiver when I see one of these beautiful old behemoths pounding down the line, pouring out smoke and steam............
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:05:29 pm »

I grew up in Hastings, where K and Ka locomotives ruled the roost.

When I was a kid, I thought they were HUGE, and I guess they really were.

There was one train per day passed through Hastings heading south pulled by English Electric diesel-electric locomotives (with a north-bound diesel-hauled train passing through town during the wee hours of the morning), but they weren't anywhere near as interesting as those big K and Ka steam locomotives.

Then, around 1963, General Motors Da-class diesel-electric locomotives started appearing in Hawke's Bay and within four years, all of the steam locomotives had disappeared.

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
guest49
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

I guess I started to take note late 40's, and the 50's were my childhood years.
The only thing but steam on the lines back then were the Fiat railcars.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:52:14 pm »

LOL I must be too young!

Wikipedia reckons the last stream train in the North Island was in 1971. I was a preschooler then and I never saw a steam train outside of a preservation society.

Dad has a slide of one running through Ngaruawahia taken when my parents were returning from their honeymoon only a few months after decimal currency. He thinks if that wasn't the last one it was just about.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 04:21:22 pm »

December 1967 was when the last steam locomotives operated in the North Island. I understand the last steam workings in the North Island were between Hamilton and Tauranga over the old route through the Karangahape Gorge. Steam locomotives disappeared from Hawke's Bay about the middle of 1967. The last steam locomotive I can recall seeing in Hastings was an oil-fired North British Ja on a freight train shunting the north end of Hastings yard one Sunday evening during the winter of 1967. They were getting fairly scarce by then, and I can distinctly recall thinking they wouldn't be around for much longer, and as it turned out, that was the last time I saw a steam locomotive on a train in Hastings.

Most of the South Island saw the end of steam by the end of 1968, although the passenger trains between Christchurch, Dunedin and Invercargill continued to be steam-hauled until 1971.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: