Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:02:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Cats: The thin edge of the wedge? Or University education for cats?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cats: The thin edge of the wedge? Or University education for cats?  (Read 335 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: March 14, 2016, 02:04:48 pm »

Council to consider capping cats -

Mon, 14 Mar 2016

Wellingtonians wanting to own more than three cats may have to ask the city council for permission first.

The council's environment committee will on Thursday be presented with a proposed animal bylaw, capping the number of cats a person can own without council consent.

Committee chairwoman Iona Pannett said the move is about making sure cat owners are staying responsible.

She said cats are wonderful, but people who own them need to keep in mind the consequences.

Ms Pannett said it was not quite the cat curfew that high-profile economist Gareth Morgan wanted.

She said the public would be asked for their opinion on a curfew, but at the moment it was not part of the bylaw.

In 2013, Mr Morgan launched a campaign to eradicate domestic cats. He set up a website called Cats to Go, where he called the animals sadists and natural-born killers that destroy native wildlife.

Last year, he called for all cats to be microchipped and registered so councils had the ability to adopt a "wandering cat strategy" to monitor cat behaviour.

He claimed a recent study of cat behaviour in Auckland revealed the number of times cats trespassed on other people's properties was 300 million a year.

The economist's conservation group, the Morgan Foundation, is part of the National Cat Management Strategy Group (NCMSG), which includes the SPCA, Local Government New Zealand and the New Zealand Veterinary Association.

Ministry for Primary Industries and Department of Conservation have technical advisory members on board.

The group wants the estimated 2.5 million feral cats gone by 2025.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/376210/council-consider-capping-cats

A subject getting a lot of people and councils hotted up?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 05:20:46 pm »

I think Gareth Morgan needs gelding actually......

Mind you, there's a cat using our garden down the line as a toilet.  I'm reassessing my stance on the size of cat-turds.  If these are anything to go by, this cats the size of a puma!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 05:40:44 pm »

I only have 2 cats at the moment (down from 4). All of my cats have been microchipped and have night time curfew. In fact, these two are only allowed outside when I'm home. They are both good at coming home before curfew. One of them used to have a lot more freedom (when she lived with Mum and Dad) but I like to know where my cats are and that they are safe. They accept their conditions. Sometimes they will go for days without being allowed out - depending on my shifts.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:35:49 am »

We too only have two cats of which only one bothers to go outdoors these days. She is however under curfew and is always inside by 9pm. Neither of them bother with chasing anything. For instance, we recently had a mouse or two in the house and neither cat made any attempt to catch them. I had to resort to traps. Mind you they are getting on with one aged about 20 and the other 18.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Alicat
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

We too only have two cats of which only one bothers to go outdoors these days. She is however under curfew and is always inside by 9pm. Neither of them bother with chasing anything. For instance, we recently had a mouse or two in the house and neither cat made any attempt to catch them. I had to resort to traps. Mind you they are getting on with one aged about 20 and the other 18.

I get the occasional mouse or bird from Mitzi. Bailey sticks to Cicadas. The birds are mighty cheeky with Mitzi. They tease the hell out of her then wonder why she makes the effort to catch them.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:15:49 pm »

I get the occasional mouse or bird from Mitzi. Bailey sticks to Cicadas. The birds are mighty cheeky with Mitzi. They tease the hell out of her then wonder why she makes the effort to catch them.

Our first cat, 36 years ago found out very quickly that birds can bite. She caught an escaped budgie which promptly attached itself just below her eye. Both cat and budgie survived but we didn't see any more birds caught.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 07:01:31 am »

Special delivery: Cat sent by mail survives 8 days in box

4:05 AM Monday Mar 28, 2016

LONDON (AP) " A tough Siamese cat named Cupcake has survived eight days cooped up in a box after accidentally being sent through the mail by her British owners.

Cupcake was in a box with an order of DVDs that was sent from Cornwall in southwestern England to West Sussex in south-central England.

The recipient found a badly dehydrated Cupcake in the box along with the DVDs and contacted the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for help. The RSPCA traced the owners through the cat's microchip.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/78304830/special-delivery-cupcake-the-cat-survives-eight-days-in-box-after-being-sent-by-mail
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:20 am »

Our first cat, 36 years ago found out very quickly that birds can bite. She caught an escaped budgie which promptly attached itself just below her eye. Both cat and budgie survived but we didn't see any more birds caught.

That's one very ballsy bird - good on it though!
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:29 am »

Special delivery: Cat sent by mail survives 8 days in box

4:05 AM Monday Mar 28, 2016

LONDON (AP) " A tough Siamese cat named Cupcake has survived eight days cooped up in a box after accidentally being sent through the mail by her British owners.

Cupcake was in a box with an order of DVDs that was sent from Cornwall in southwestern England to West Sussex in south-central England.

The recipient found a badly dehydrated Cupcake in the box along with the DVDs and contacted the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for help. The RSPCA traced the owners through the cat's microchip.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/78304830/special-delivery-cupcake-the-cat-survives-eight-days-in-box-after-being-sent-by-mail

I've just read that story on Stuff. It's incredible but having had Burmese hide in dish washers and clothes dryers without being seen, I would believe anything.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »

We had to extract the intrepid Smudge, a small long haired off spring of a stray from the fridge, the washing machine, the dashboard of the van, from the kitchen cupboards, from the behind the false backs of the kitchen cupboards, the rafters of the garage many times and numerous chests of drawers.

Mini, Smudge's offsider for 16 years also had to be extracted from the dashboard of the van more than once, was prone to sleeping in drawers and would often be found under a divan bed (she would open the sliding panel and sneak in to sleep on the extra blankets). Mini also would make a nest in the rafters of the garage. Although I don't recall her ever riding the garage door down like Smudge did when we closed it not realising there was a cat up there.

Sally was nowhere near as smart. As for Bob - his efforts are laughable. According to him head down and scuttling in silence makes him invisible.

Kira has limited herself to getting shut in the neighbours garage for 36 hours and constantly getting up on the roof by leaping from a branch over 6 feet away. As she can't get down via that route she then churps for a rescue. Although when left for long enough she will leap from the roof to the deck.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 12:43:34 am »

Omg ssweetP

Don't ya just gotta love cats!

I love your post
We had to extract the intrepid Smudge, a small long haired off spring of a stray from the fridge, the washing machine, the dashboard of the van, from the kitchen cupboards, from the behind the false backs of the kitchen cupboards, the rafters of the garage many times and numerous chests of drawers.

Mini, Smudge's offsider for 16 years also had to be extracted from the dashboard of the van more than once, was prone to sleeping in drawers and would often be found under a divan bed (she would open the sliding panel and sneak in to sleep on the extra blankets). Mini also would make a nest in the rafters of the garage. Although I don't recall her ever riding the garage door down like Smudge did when we closed it not realising there was a cat up there.

Sally was nowhere near as smart. As for Bob - his efforts are laughable. According to him head down and scuttling in silence makes him invisible.

Kira has limited herself to getting shut in the neighbours garage for 36 hours and constantly getting up on the roof by leaping from a branch over 6 feet away. As she can't get down via that route she then churps for a rescue. Although when left for long enough she will leap from the roof to the deck.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: