Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 05:00:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

trouble at t' mill ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trouble at t' mill ?  (Read 185 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: March 07, 2016, 05:56:37 pm »

PM backs Barclay in wake of resignations
Mon, 7 March 2016

The number of National Party resignations in the electorate of New Zealand's youngest MP are nothing unusual, Prime Minister John Key says.
There have been three resignations in Todd Barclay's Clutha-Southland electorate since the start of the year.

Mr Barclay (25), who grew up in Dipton and Gore, was elected to Parliament in 2014 after Bill English opted to become a list MP.

Mr Key told Radio New Zealand this morning that Mr Barclay had his full confidence.

"I've had the discussion with Bill [English] about it, because he was the former MP, but it's not something of major significance," he said.

"I mean there's clearly been a desire to have a change in staff and it's changed. It's not, as I said, entirely unusual when you get a new MP."

Mr Barclay was doing a good job, Mr Key said.

"He is a young man and I think he is doing a good job. It is always hard when you take over an electorate that has been occupied by such a successful, both local MP and National political figurehead as Bill English.

"But he is a young guy who is on a steep learning curve, and I'm sure he's going to do a great job for us."

Long-serving staff member Glenys Dickson left Mr Barclay's Gore office last month after 18 years in the job. The circumstances of her departure have been kept under wraps.

Electorate chairman Stuart Davie has also resigned, calling his position untenable. Queenstown electorate secretary Barbara Swan has also resigned, and is working out a notice period.

Prior to entering Parliament, Mr Barclay worked as corporate affairs manager at Phillip Morris for eight months. He also worked in National Government ministerial offices.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/375524/pm-backs-barclay-wake-resignations
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:09:37 am »

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/375242/claim-secret-recording

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:07:33 am »

with vid

National Party president: Todd Barclay resignations not being investigated
SAM SACHDEVA

Last updated 15:38, March 8 2016

Prime Minister John Key has no intention of getting involved in the electorate resignations debacle with Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay.
The National Party is not investigating a spate of resignations in Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's electorate, or concerns about his performance, party president Peter Goodfellow says.

Goodfellow's comments came as Barclay ducked questions from media on his way to National's caucus meeting, declining to speak about three resignations in his Clutha-Southland electorate since the start of the year.

The resignations have raised questions about the MP's relationship with his staff and party members, with some party sources suggesting he could face a challenge from within the National Party at the next election.

Gore-based senior electorate agent Glenys Dickson resigned in February, with a party official citing an "employment problem" between the pair - understood to relate to unproven allegations of a secret recording made by Barclay.

READ MORE:
 * Disquiet over MP performance 'could spark challenge'
 * Key backs MP over resignations
 * Bill English: Clutha-Southland resignations part of 'transition'
*National party Clutha-Southland chairman Stuart Davie resigns
*Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's senior staffer resigns
*Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's Queenstown staffer also resigns

Later that month, National's Clutha-Southland electorate chairman Stuart Davie resigned, saying it was "untenable" for him to carry on, while Barclay's Queenstown-based electoral agent Barbara Swan resigned in January, reportedly to spend more time travelling and with family.

Goodfellow said he was aware of the issues being raised in Clutha-Southland, but said there were a number of electorates where staff left after a new MP came in.

"It's one of those issues where a different personality, a very different person and that's the change.

"I don't know that it's common or not common [for three staff to leave], but certainly in my experience, we've had changes quite often where not one person goes, it means others go too."

Goodfellow would not talk about the details of the staff resignations, saying it was not appropriate to comment on employment matters.

However, he said the party was not investigating the resignations or issues being raised in Clutha-Southland, and hoped a series of annual general meetings in the region would help to clear the air.

'THEY SEE HIM AS DIFFERENT'

"There's heaps of opportunities for the party to meet Todd and I think that's the most important thing, that Todd actually talks to the local members down there, because for some reason they see him as different than the previous member."

Goodfellow appeared unconcerned by talk of a selection challenge, saying he had heard similar threats in the past "and generally it's some local issue".

A number of party sources have expressed concerns about Barclay's dealings with both his staff and his constituents.

Several people suggested the 25-year-old's age was behind some of the problems, due to his lack of experience.

"When you let a young person loose in a huge electorate with a lot of issues, it must be difficult for him as well, but you need to take guidance and use experienced people to help you," one party source said, describing him as a "very complex" person.

DODGED QUESTIONS

Finance Minister Bill English, who held the electorate seat for 24 years before Barclay, said he did not want to comment on the resignations.

" I think I've already said, I was there for 24 years, there was bound to be some change after I left.

"Look that's a matter for the MP, I don't participate in how my former electorate's run."

Barclay dodged questions on his way into National's caucus meeting on Tuesday morning, declining to speak to the media.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/77657409/national-party-president-todd-barclay-resignations-not-being-investigated.html

Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:57 pm »

Barclay staff member to talk with police
By Eileen Goodman on Thurs 10th of March 2016

A Clutha-Southland electorate staff member has confirmed she is in contact with police over a complaint about National MP Todd Barclay.
Barbara Swan, who is working out her notice period in the MP's Queenstown office, confirmed that a meeting with police had been arranged, but yesterday it was postponed.

‘‘[The police] had requested that, and then they rang and said: ‘It's been delayed'.'' Ms Swan had ‘‘no idea'' what police wanted to talk to her about, and she declined to comment further.

Mr Barclay told the Otago Daily Times yesterday he had not been contacted by the police. ‘‘If they do contact me on any matter, then I will co-operate fully.''

The ODT understands the complaint stemmed from the ‘‘employment issue'' that led to Gore electorate secretary Glenys Dickson's departure, and it involves a claim the MP made a secret recording.

It is also understood police in Gore have contacted another person connected to the electorate about the complaint.

After the two electorate secretaries resigned, electorate chairman Stuart Davie stepped down, calling his position untenable. Yesterday Mr Davie declined to comment, as did Mrs Dickson.

Prime Minister John Key told Radio New Zealand on Monday that Mr Barclay was doing a good job and had his full confidence.

Mr Barclay was a ‘‘young guy who is on a steep learning curve'', Mr Key said.

Earlier this week Mr Barclay told Radio New Zealand he had made mistakes as a first-term MP. He has declined to comment on the claim about a secret recording.

A query was lodged yesterday with a national police spokesman in Wellington, but no response was received.

Mr Barclay previously worked as corporate affairs manager at tobacco giant Phillip Morris and worked in National Government ministerial offices.

eileen.goodwin@odt.co.nz

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/375835/todd-barclay-electorate-staff-member-talk-police

I guess we will have to wait for news of the delayed interview

V

Police will be busy down there

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/72688117/storm-damage-worst-in-20-years--powernet

Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 09:14:50 pm »

Perhaps the could send in the experienced Gerry  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 06:53:16 pm »

Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's commitment to Gore heartland questioned

EVAN HARDING

Last updated 17:41, March 18 2016

Embattled Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay has been accused of neglecting the Gore heartland of his electorate in favour of the "glamour and glitz" of Queenstown.

However, Barclay said he was committed to serving all parts of his electorate.

It is understood the work hours of the electorate agent in Barclay's Queenstown office have increased from about 20 hours a week to 40; and the hours of his electorate agent in the Gore office have been reduced from 40 to 20.

Electorate agents do work for constituents in the areas they are employed.

READ MORE:
 * Police look to arrange interviews regarding Todd Barclay
* National Party 'not investigating' Barclay resignations
 * Disquiet over MP performance 'could spark challenge'
 * Key backs MP over resignations
 * Bill English: Clutha-Southland resignations part of 'transition'
 * National Party Clutha-Southland chairman Stuart Davie resigns
 * Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's senior staffer resigns
 * Clutha-Southland MP Todd Barclay's Queenstown staffer also resigns

Gore has long been considered the heartland of the Clutha-Southland electorate and is located near its centre, while the Gore office has traditionally been the electorate hub.

Barclay's decision to have an increased staffing presence in Queenstown, at the apparent expense of Gore, was "very significant", a party member said.

"It does make a statement about what he regards as being important as far as his electorate is concerned.

"He is moving away from his support base really ... he is certainly moving away from the heart of the electorate."

Barclay was fond of the "glamour and glitz" of Queenstown, while farmers were "a bit down the scale as far as he is concerned", the party member said.

Barclay did not respond directly to these criticisms when answering questions by email.

Nor did he directly respond when asked if he planned to make Queenstown his base.

Barclay, who has been under scrutiny following a spate of resignations from his team, did say, however, that he was committed to serving all parts of his electorate and having offices in the three main centres of Gore, Queenstown, and Balclutha.

He did not address questions about the changing work hours of his electorate agents, but he said the staff hours in each of the three electorate offices had been either maintained or increased since he became the MP in 2014.

"I am focused on working hard to ensure those who contact me or my office get access to the advice or assistance they need."

He spent "roughly" just over half his  time between Gore, Queenstown, and Balclutha, with the balance of his time across the remaining 31 towns and communities in Clutha-Southland.

He was committed to being out and about in the Clutha-Southland electorate, attending events right across the electorate and talking to constituents when he was not fulfilling his duties in Parliament in Wellington, he said.

The Gore and Queenstown electorate agent positions are being taken on by new employees following the resignations of Barbara Swan in Queenstown and Glenys Dickson, in controversial circumstances, in the Gore office.

Meanwhile, a third staff member of Barclay's has resigned.

Barclay said it would be inappropriate to comment on employment matters.

But his senior executive assistant in Wellington confirmed she was leaving to travel overseas on an OE.

The staff member said she had signalled her intentions to Barclay more than a year ago.

The resignations of four people surrounding Barclay this year, the staffers in Queenstown, Gore and Wellington and the National Party's Clutha-Southland electorate chairman Stuart Davie, has raised questions about how Barclay relates to employees and party officials.

It was reported earlier this month that police had since become involved in the circumstances surrounding Dickson's resignation from the Gore office.

It is believed to relate to unproven allegations of a secret recording made by Barclay.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/77920060/cluthasouthland-mp-todd-barclays-commitment-to-gore-heartland-questioned

Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: