Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 06:44:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Your TV is listening to you

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your TV is listening to you  (Read 285 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »

Samsung warns customers not to discuss personal information in front of smart TVs
February 9, 2015

Facebook.com/Samsung TV

Samsung has confirmed that its "smart TV" sets are listening to customers' every word, and the company is warning customers not to speak about personal information while near the TV sets.

The company revealed that the voice activation feature on its smart TVs will capture all nearby conversations. The TV sets can share the information, including sensitive data, with Samsung as well as third-party services.

The news comes after Shane Harris at The Daily Beast pointed out a troubling line in Samsung's privacy policy: "Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party."

Samsung has now issued a new statement clarifying how the voice activation feature works. "If a consumer consents and uses the voice recognition feature, voice data is provided to a third party during a requested voice command search," Samsung said in a statement. "At that time, the voice data is sent to a server, which searches for the requested content then returns the desired content to the TV."

The company added that it does not retain or sell the voice data, but it didn't name the third party that translates users' speech.

Update, Feb. 10: Samsung has updated its policy and named the third party in question, Nuance Communications, Inc. Meghan DeMaria
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

reality
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:51:24 am »

The link does not show what you quoted Shocked....why would that be? Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 07:31:29 am »

http://theweek.com/speedreads/538379/samsung-warns-customers-not-discuss-personal-information-front-smart-tvs
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:01:00 pm »

Roll Eyes

I presume the spies are everywhere, so what about Samsung cellphones?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Alicat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 03:43:22 pm »

Roll Eyes

I got a bit of a surprise the first time my phone told me how many minutes it would take me to get to work. I thought

I presume the spies are everywhere, so what about Samsung cellphones?

I got a bit of a surprise the first time my phone told me how many minutes it would take me to get to work. I thought then realised I had driven to and from work for 2 days and the phone had just 'assumed' I was off to work - at least I hope that's what happened.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

I find it amusing that their are so many morons complaing about government spying but yet will divulge so much private information to third parties without even thinking about what they are doing.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:38:43 pm »

I find it amusing that their are so many morons complaing about government spying but yet will divulge so much private information to third parties without even thinking about what they are doing.

Exactly. Sometimes they are naive sometimes just stupid.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 03:05:41 pm »

My TV is so old it could vote and my phone is not much younger so I dont have to worry  Grin
I dont subscribe to sky; lightbox, netflix or any other pay tv
My computer is getting one too and apart from here I mainly use the internet for streaming Opera
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:49:37 pm »

Worth a read

..."Magistrate Sheri Pym, in the US District Court of Central California, ordered the tech giant to provide the FBI with software designed to defeat a self-destruct mechanism on the iPhone, according to the Associated Press, which first reported the news. The self-destruct mechanism automatically erases data on a phone after ten failed password attempts, or rather erases a key that could be used to decrypt that data. ..."

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/magistrate-orders-apple-to-help-fbi-hack-phone-of-san-bernardino-shooter/
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Calliope

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:56 pm »

I think it is time to re-read George Orwell 1984  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »

Luckily, by the time we'd figured out the voice command thingy, the wifi and tv had stopped talking.  Mr DT has a kill zone that currently contains a near new microwave, carpet shampooer, 2 vacuum cleaners, a lamp, a dishwasher and a laptop.  We've only been in this bloody house two years!  If samsung are hearing anything it's me doing my nana about how bloody expensive he's become.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:59 am »

Luckily, by the time we'd figured out the voice command thingy, the wifi and tv had stopped talking.  Mr DT has a kill zone that currently contains a near new microwave, carpet shampooer, 2 vacuum cleaners, a lamp, a dishwasher and a laptop.  We've only been in this bloody house two years!  If samsung are hearing anything it's me doing my nana about how bloody expensive he's become.

Is Mr DT just trying to get out of doing the housework stuff? Breaking things would lead to a life-time ban in his mind
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 08:21:31 am »

Sounds normal to me. Husbands are expensive creatures Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: