Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:17:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

UK hits Kiwi OE with health charge

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK hits Kiwi OE with health charge  (Read 549 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:50 am »

New Zealanders and Australians wanting to spend more than six months in the United Kingdom on their OE will soon have to pay a health charge worth hundreds of dollars.
Prime Minister John Key says the move is another that chips away at New Zealanders' rights as Britain tightens up rules around who can live and work there.

It was not in keeping with the history of the two countries, he told the New Zealand Herald.

Labour and the Greens said the situation showed the government's lack of strength at the negotiating table.

"This is a long-standing reciprocal agreement and you don't unilaterally change it," Labour's Annette King told the paper.

"If New Zealand citizens lose the right to free health care, we would need to change our legislation because that's what reciprocal means."

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/30753778/uk-hits-kiwi-oe-with-health-charge/

One can only assume that John Key will do as he always seems to and that is NOTHING
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

reality
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:48:19 am »

cal..."Labour and the Greens said the situation showed the government's lack of strength at the negotiating table."

...uhhmm.....I read the article....but there was no reference to any "negotiations" as Labour and Greens suggest...could they be trying to not let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory Wink

..only that "British Immigration Minister James Brokenshire" announced it

..this is the second time today that you have only posted a small part of an article which gives the wrong impression about the whole article Shocked

...I can see I am going to have to watch you Cool

..... post any news that refers to the negotiation process and I take it all back
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:48 am »

cal..."Labour and the Greens said the situation showed the government's lack of strength at the negotiating table."

...uhhmm.....I read the article....but there was no reference to any "negotiations" as Labour and Greens suggest...could they be trying to not let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory Wink

..this is the second time today that you have only posted a small part of an article which gives the wrong impression about the whole article Shocked

..... post any news that refers to the negotiation process and I take it all back

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:00 am »

Oh.....I was looking forward to seeing news of the negotiations....what an anti climax Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 01:11:10 pm »

Oh.....I was looking forward to seeing news of the negotiations....what an anti climax Embarrassed

be brave. Go do a wee

SEARCH
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:41:16 pm »

cal's gone quiet..wont be long now before the evidence is forthcoming i'm sure Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 05:32:49 pm »

Strangely enough, not all XNC2 members are waiting on tap at your beck and call to respond to your inane a flatulence filled remarks Reality. Most others have lives away from here.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:35:42 pm »

I didn't say anything about negotiations - that was what Labour and the Greens said, but I assume (and I am sure than anyone would) That Key would have been told of the proposed changes before they were announced. It is also indicative of his attitude in that he said nothing about challenging it or requesting a review or anything other than to state that it was not in keeping with the history of the two countries. He has not suggested that we change our laws to reflect this (as he has similalry not suggested we deny benefits etc to Aussies in NZ who have not requested citizenship)
What it does reflect is a willingness on his behalf to allow other governments to implement law changes to the detriment of New Zealanders without applying the same to those countries. Is he afraid that if we change our laws to reflect the changes that others make that they will somehow retaliate with stronger sanctions on NZ? Or is he just a wimp who lets bigger countries push him around?

Also. please note that I gave you a link to read the whole story for yourself - something which you so seldom do.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
reality
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 11:10:45 pm »

haha..all that time wasted searching eh...so your mates, Labour and the Greens were full of shit, why am i not surprised Shocked

cal..."Also. please note that I gave you a link to read the whole story for yourself - something which you so seldom do."

..no...I give the FULL STORY straight up...and anyone with half a brain can search the story with the headine in about 0.65 of a second..you in those 2 cases today cherry picked the lines that suited your MO ...just admit it Wink

..I am watching you closely from now on Cool
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:05:52 am »

oi cal....some more info for you...please read carefully to see what other of your claims is contested Wink...start eating your words Tongue
..yes..we are going to have to keep a very close eye on your posted material...very naughty Embarrassed

UK CONTINUES TO CUT KIWI TIES

I guess it is a blessing in disguise as the UK slides ever closer to domination by foreigners, but they just reduced health care benefits for Kiwis in the UK.

Prime Minister John Key has hit out at new legislation meaning New Zealanders will have to pay over $320 for health and dental care in the United Kingdom.

A reciprocal deal had been in place between New Zealand and the UK since 1982, allowing citizens travelling between the countries access to free health and dental care. However, that 34-year arrangement has now been chopped as part of a clamp-down on so-called “health tourism” — going overseas to get medical treatment.

The British government’s Home Office announced the end the programme from April 6 and today Key reacted saying the news is “really disappointing” and “pretty cheap”. 

Key says while Kiwis will still get a better deal than other international visitors to the UK, the move is not in the spirit of the historic ties between the two nations.

“We’ve been aware of it. You’re excluded unless you’re there for six months or more so it won’t have any impact on travellers that go for a holiday to the United Kingdom. We’ve also got a lower rate than other countries, so down from £200 to £150 (NZ$328),” Key said.

“But in the end it’s just another sort of chipping away of New Zealanders’ rights in the UK and it’s really disappointing.

“I think we have had this relationship based on the history of our country and New Zealand being a British colony. I would have thought charging Kiwis £150 if they’re over there for a bit longer as a surcharge, over and above the National Health System, is pretty cheap and not really in keeping with the history of the two countries.”

It is a reciprocal agreement so Poms lose out here as well.

– NZ Herald
by Cameron Slater on February 7, 2016 at 10:00am
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 06:42:57 am »

Definition of hypocrisy is Reality calling out others to post facts when he himself remains silent with the facts in other threads
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 06:58:11 am »

Shocked.really...please give me details and I will do my best to rectify the situation...

..no doubt you have a long list Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 07:34:05 am »

Definition of hypocrisy is Reality calling out others to post facts when he himself remains silent with the facts in other threads

calling out others to post facts when he himself remains silent with the facts in other threads

Report Spam   Logged

Calliope

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 07:51:20 am »

It is a reciprocal agreement so Poms lose out here as well.

Reality, your Cameron Slater has it wrong there.

There is a law in place the Health Benefits (Reciprocity with the United Kingdom) Act 1982

For the poms to lose out in NZ it will require a law change and as with the Aussies (Health Benefits (Reciprocity with Australia) Act 1999) that has not happened.

You can read the respective acts here> http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1999/0018/latest/DLM22742.html and here http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1982/0176/latest/DLM66508.html?search=ts_all%40act%40bill%40regulation_United+Kingdom&sr=1

You will also note in the UK agreement the following statement:
Amendments to this Agreement may be made by agreement in writing between the Contracting Parties.

Please take note of the fact that this states BY AGREEMENT
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:57:10 am by Calliope » Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:18 am »

nit..."calling out others to post facts when he himself remains silent with the facts in other threads"

..see post #11...and I will brace myself for the onslaught  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 08:29:44 am »

cal..I see the change does not happen until 6 April..the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly....maybe a case of having to await the process..unless of course you have info that would prove Slater incorrect  Roll Eyes

...but John Key has already stated that he finds the move "really disappointing"
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 08:30:44 am »

Shocked.really...please give me details and I will do my best to rectify the situation...

..no doubt you have a long list Roll Eyes

For a start how about you head on over to the Waitangi Circus thread and post something factual detailing how the majority are being disadvantaged by minorities.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:53 am »

cal..I see the change does not happen until 6 April..the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly....maybe a case of having to await the process..unless of course you have info that would prove Slater incorrect  Roll Eyes
As of this moment, Slater is incorrect. That is unless he is privy to information which John Key is not disclosing

...but John Key has already stated that he finds the move "really disappointing"
And he has not said anything about what he intends to do about it. Not even saying he will enter into discussions.

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 08:42:24 am »

certainly...could you give me the post number...so we can get the context...as cal has so skillfully shown us there must be context to have acurracy...otherwise the story may not give the full story which can have a different meaning Wink
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 08:50:33 am »

cal...."As of this moment, Slater is incorrect. That is unless he is privy to information which John Key is not disclosing"

...which is quite possible....so you cant be sure Roll Eyes...but hes got an honest face Wink

cal...."And he has not said anything about what he intends to do about it. Not even saying he will enter into discussions. "

...he has said..

"Prime Minister John Key has hit out at new legislation meaning New Zealanders will have to pay over $320 for health and dental care in the United Kingdom.

A reciprocal deal had been in place between New Zealand and the UK since 1982, allowing citizens travelling between the countries access to free health and dental care. However, that 34-year arrangement has now been chopped as part of a clamp-down on so-called “health tourism” — going overseas to get medical treatment.

The British government’s Home Office announced the end the programme from April 6 and today Key reacted saying the news is “really disappointing” and “pretty cheap”. 

Key says while Kiwis will still get a better deal than other international visitors to the UK, the move is not in the spirit of the historic ties between the two nations.

“We’ve been aware of it. You’re excluded unless you’re there for six months or more so it won’t have any impact on travellers that go for a holiday to the United Kingdom. We’ve also got a lower rate than other countries, so down from £200 to £150 (NZ$328),” Key said.

“But in the end it’s just another sort of chipping away of New Zealanders’ rights in the UK and it’s really disappointing.

“I think we have had this relationship based on the history of our country and New Zealand being a British colony. I would have thought charging Kiwis £150 if they’re over there for a bit longer as a surcharge, over and above the National Health System, is pretty cheap and not really in keeping with the history of the two countries.”

...so its quite clear what he thinks about it...anyway...I guess Kelvin Davis will be on a plane to London Tuesday morning ...or is it only  kiwi criminals that he goes to other countries to try and help Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 09:33:57 am »

You are missing the point. John Key has not said that he will impose the same restrictions on Poms coming to NZ. Until he does he is just pandering to the UK.

Just like he has over the Aussies making New Zealand citizens ineligible for certain benefits such as the unemployment benefit (Australians in New Zealand are able to access a range of entitlements that Kiwis in Australia can't, including unemployment benefits.)

the reciprocity claim does not mean equal.
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 09:43:32 am »

"John Key has not said that he will impose the same restrictions on Poms coming to NZ."

...and he also has not said that he wont...I guess this will become clear closer to 6 April...

..but if we dont treat them the same as they treat us I will share your disappointment  Roll Eyes

...could you please let me know if you hear any developments on this subject Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 09:51:00 am »

"John Key has not said that he will impose the same restrictions on Poms coming to NZ."

...and he also has not said that he wont...I guess this will become clear closer to 6 April...

..but if we dont treat them the same as they treat us I will share your disappointment  Roll Eyes

...could you please let me know if you hear any developments on this subject Wink

Goodness me. Reality actually wants to know something. Here I was thinking that there was nothing they didn't know or have privy to.
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:04 pm »

Goodness me. Reality actually wants to know something. Here I was thinking that there was nothing they didn't know or have privy to.

that was a nice wee fart this time, I didn't notice it, did you?

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 02:36:33 pm »

yes , I did..had a nice aroma....similar to roses Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: