Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:20:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Watchout...here come the Greens

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchout...here come the Greens  (Read 247 times)
reality
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:23:37 pm »

...could the Greens be shifting their position to being "electable" Shocked

Rodney Hide: Greens move to centre of road

5:00 AM Sunday Jan 31, 2016Add a comment

The Greens' mad rush for the centre is a huge about-face. It's like Winston Peters welcoming refugees or Peter Dunne declaring himself communist.

I had thought it was only new co-leader James Shaw anxious to be business-friendly and PR-savvy by rejoicing COP21 in which the world's leaders meet in Paris to agree solemnly to do nothing about climate change.

I mistakenly presumed Shaw, in joining Government Minister Tim Grosser celebrating the "do-nothing" agreement, would cause the Green Party to explode. But no. It was accepted.

And now Green co-leader Metiria Turei has made the party even more middle-of-the-road. It's all the more astonishing because she has been co-leader for seven years and in the old radical Green Party she was the most radical.

Turei used her state-of-the-nation address to explain how unradical the Greens are, how they can work with National and Labour, and how they are the party of fiscal rectitude.

"We've had agreements with Labour and National," she said.

And by implication the Greens can do so again. Brilliant. The Greens are trying to straddle the centre and are opening up the possibility of supporting John Key in government. Their members and supporters are being not-so-subtly softened up.

There would be a price, but nothing too scary. Turei does away with any suggestion of big change from the Greens.

"Part of the philosophy of the Green Party is to look for small changes you can make that will have a big outcome."

Turei also showcases the Greens' concern for the careful spending of middle New Zealand's tax dollars. "So the first things we should ask of those who seek to wield that power is what they're going to do, how they're going to do it, and what it's going to cost."

I am sure I said something similar as Act leader and, if I didn't, I should have. That shows how far and how fast the Greens are travelling the political spectrum.

The one-and-only policy Turei announced was to power-up Treasury to cost the promises of political parties vying for your vote. She wants the Greens "to establish an independent unit in the Treasury to cost policy promises".

That would mean, "political parties could submit their policies for costing to this independent unit, which would then produce a report with information on the fiscal and wider economic implications of the policy".

There was a time for the Greens when Treasury was anathema and the devil incarnate. To say a policy was Treasury's was to Green-curse it for all time.

Now the Greens want a bigger-than-ever Treasury, funded and empowered to cost the promises political parties make during a general election. Not so long ago the Greens would be screaming that such a role for faceless and unelected mandarins was an affront to democracy.

I still think that. The Greens cuddling Treasury! The lust for power makes for strange bedfellows.

- Herald on Sunday
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:34:56 pm »

Hahaha....Rodney Hide is almost as full-of-shit as Cameron Slater!!   
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
reality
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »

...I agree...even if they move closer to the centre..they will still be unelectable Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Donald
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 08:02:22 pm »

They hung David Garrett for his youthful indiscretion, why does the fraudster Turei get a free pass?

The university professor who can’t say my name reckons electoral fraud is just a trifling matter:

Andrew Geddis, a law professor at Otago University, said a person could only enrol at a place they had been a resident at for at least one month and they must enrol at the place they last resided at.

“If Ms Turei never actually lived in the property with her child’s father, then she had no legal right to enrol there to vote.

“That would mean that her enrolling is an offence under, as it was then, the Electoral Act 1956 which technically is punishable by up to three months imprisonment,” he said.

The vote would also be invalid, Mr Geddis said.

But he said prosecutions were not taken up for the offence, and the time to take any action – six months from the date the offence was committed – had long since passed.

“We’re talking about the actions of someone who was 23 at the time… 23-year-olds have been known to do stupid things, especially when they want to support their friends,” Mr Geddis said.

“As a politician, she certainly shouldn’t be doing things that call into question the electoral process but, once again, I don’t think any other New Zealander would be hung for what she’s done.”

Actually they have been hung before for silly youthful indiscretions.

David Garrett was prosecuted and drummed out of parliament for his indiscretion 20 years in the past.

The Greens will justify this, even though they bayed for Garrett’s blood at the time.

It’s OK if you are Green. They have the shield of sanctimony to hide behind.
Radio nz
Cam slater

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: