Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 02:11:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

“WHITEBAIT”

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: “WHITEBAIT”  (Read 49350 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 03:05:50 pm »

Smiles as bait runs in Grey

By TUI BROMLEY - The Greymouth Star | Wednesday, 26 September 2007

BONANZA: A plentiful catch of whitebait from the Grey River.

BONANZA: A plentiful catch of whitebait from the Grey River.

Whitebaiters on the Grey River have enjoyed a rare bait bonanza over the past 24 hours.

Rivers in Buller and South Westland have provided slim pickings for many, but in Greymouth yesterday the sun was shining, the water was crystal clear and the whitebait were running. And it was more of the same — just many more whitebaiters — on the Grey this morning, some with 20-litre buckets brim full, others with varying amounts, and all very happy. One fisherman who had about 5kg was thanking modern technology for his catch yesterday. “My son sent me a text saying there were some good shoals coming up. I come down at 12.30 and had this (his catch) by 1pm.”

Catches so far have not been so good on the rivers in the deep south, which traditionally produce the big yields. Haast whitebait buyer CoIin McKinney said catches had started to pick up a little in the past few days but September had been a bad one. “It’s the worst start in donkey’s years. Perhaps this is going to be one of those seasons where there is precious little in the first months and heaps in October.” Mr McKinney said “a few” 100kg loads had been flown out of South Westland in the past week but that was not a lot for the number of fishermen in the region. “There are heaps more fishermen than fish. I think every man in Canterbury wants to fulfil his dream and go to the West Coast whitebaiting.” The Hokitika River has provided some big catches and plenty of little ones this week. Some with stands upstream were yesterday catching upwards of 40kg on a tide, while those using scoop nets closer to the river mouth were picking up “a feed” and sometimes a bit more.

Department of Conservation Hokitika ranger Ted Brennan said the season had also provided “the usual riverbank arguments” and unusually large deposits of litter. “It’s something we will probably have to sort out in conjunction with the district council, but we have spoken to a few people about the vast collections of beer bottles left in some places.” Westport baiters have fared worst of all, three weeks into the season. DOC Buller ranger John Green said whitebaiters in most rivers in the north were “picking up a pound or two, with the odd big catch in between”. Compliance had been good but he said that was usually the case when pickings were lean.

http://www.greystar.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=669&Itemid=1

Whitebait windfalls

By JAMES BEECH - The Greymouth Star | Wednesday, 26 September 2007

WHITEBAIT: Slimmer pickings on the Hokitika River.

WHITEBAIT: Slimmer pickings on the Hokitika River.

The whitebait may have been running in the Grey River yesterday but there were slimmer pickings to be had for some whitebaiters on Hokitika River.

Retired builder Paul Olsen, of Kaniere, said the weather was good but the ‘baiting was not where he was on the southside of the riverbank. His largest catch so far weighed in at 2.5kg. “It’s out there somewhere but it’s early days. I heard Whataroa got good bait but I don’t know for how long.”

Hokitika mother Viv Olson said she had netted “bits and pieces” though she had caught five kilos on her best day. “You’ve got to wait for the big tides and you’ve got to put the time in but it’s a great way to spend your time.”

Retired business man Charles Evans, of Hokitika, said he was catching 500 grammes on average but had taken home 2.5kg one day.

On the other side of the river, retiree Graeme Howart, had returned from Christchurch to his home town to try his hand this season. “I’m only an amateur, I’ve got a scoop net, but some of the professionals are catching around 80 pounds. I get about two or three pounds most days but I had a lucky day on Saturday and I caught 15 pounds.”

Supervisor Allan Jordan, of Kaiapoi, was borrowing his brother’s stand for the week and said he had heard of “30 pound lifts” last weekend.

http://www.greystar.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=667&Itemid=1

Cash bonanza for whitebaiters

Staff Reporters and NZPA - The Dominion Post and The Press | Thursday, 27 September 2007

The "white gold" has started running but it has not resulted in a drop in the crazy prices for whitebait from retailers yet.

Wellington's Moore Wilson Pacific Catch said customers remained happy to part with $12.95 per 100 grams.

Whitebaiters on the Grey River have enjoyed a rare bonanza in the past 24 hours, including 13-year-old Cobden whitebaiter Clinton Blance, whose 4.5 kilograms of whitebait would equal about $590 on today's market.

Rivers in Buller and South Westland have provided slim pickings for many, but in Greymouth on Tuesday the sun was shining, the water crystal clear and the whitebait running.

And it was more of the same — just many more whitebaiters — on the Grey yesterday morning, some with 20-litre buckets brim full, others with varying amounts, and all very happy. One fisherman who had around 5kg was thanking modern technology for his catch.

"My son sent me a text saying there were some good shoals coming up. I came down at 12.30 and had this (his catch) by 1pm."

Catches so far have not been so good on the rivers in the deep south, which traditionally produce the big yields.

Haast whitebait buyer Colin McKinney said catches had started to pick up a little in the past few days but September had been a bad one.

"It's the worst start in donkey's years. Perhaps this is going to be one of those seasons where there is precious little in the first months and heaps in October."

Mr McKinney said "a few" 100kg loads had been flown out of South Westland in the past week but that was not a lot for the number of fishermen in the region.

"There are heaps more fishermen than fish.

"I think every man in Canterbury wants to fulfil his dream and go to the West Coast whitebaiting."

The Hokitika River has provided some big catches and plenty of little ones this week. Some with stands upstream were yesterday catching upward of 40kg on a tide, while those using scoop nets closer to the river mouth were picking up "a feed" and sometimes a bit more.

Conservation Department Hokitika ranger Ted Brennan said the season had also provided "the usual riverbank arguments" and unusually large deposits of litter.

"It's something we will probably have to sort out in conjunction with the district council, but we have spoken to a few people about the vast collections of beer bottles left in some places."

Westport baiters have fared worst of all, three weeks into the season.

DOC Buller ranger John Green said whitebaiters in most rivers in the north were "picking up a pound or two, with the odd big catch in between".

Compliance had been good but he said that was usually the case when pickings were lean.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4216450a6479.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: